Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fasting to quickly convert to Fat-Burning? Anyone?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fasting to quickly convert to Fat-Burning? Anyone?

Just wondering here. Consensus seems to be that it takes time to covert to fat-burning from sugar-burning, maybe two-three weeks. Can a multi-day fast speed that up? I ask because in college I did a 7-day fast, while teaching martial arts, running, and maintaining a full workout schedule. Since I was able to do that, I assume I switched to fat-burning somewhere within those 7 days. (Surely I didn't have enough glycogen stores for 7 active days.) No hunger at all after day 3, no hunger at day 7. IF this works, and switches you to fat-burning, what are the indicators to let you know you've switched over? The no hunger point maybe? Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

it is basically the time required to deplete you of stored glycogen and the demand on your liver to produce ketytone bodies to replace the lack.

i used coconut oil to jumpstart the ketone production
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Comment

if you're not shooting for ketosis, which does take some adaptation, i think it's pretty damn easy to 'switch' to fat burning. because we all burn fat - your body knows how to do it already, or you would be dead. so if you eat more fat, and less carb, you will burn more fat and less carb. hold your carbs at around 100 grams a day, and you'll be in fat burning mode without the hassle of keto-adaptation.

Comment

Originally posted by jakey View Post
        if you're not shooting for ketosis, which does take some adaptation, i think it's pretty damn easy to 'switch' to fat burning. because we all burn fat - your body knows how to do it already, or you would be dead. so if you eat more fat, and less carb, you will burn more fat and less carb. hold your carbs at around 100 grams a day, and you'll be in fat burning mode without the hassle of keto-adaptation.
        I don't completely agree with your last sentence. For SOME people, it may very well be true. Also, for many people 100 daily grams will not allow them to enter into or stay in true ketosis nor will it allow them to get to "fat burning". Some people will not burn fat til they dip to 75 or even 50 or 30 daily grams. Wide variances among people. Also, converting into being a fat burning beast is not the same as going into & holding ketosis for 7 days or just casually "fat burning". It can take much longer, depending on the person, their health & activity levels, to fully convert.
        Last edited by Betorq; 08-01-2012, 11:21 AM.
        "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
        "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
        "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by MinimalMe View Post
          Just wondering here. Consensus seems to be that it takes time to covert to fat-burning from sugar-burning, maybe two-three weeks. Can a multi-day fast speed that up? I ask because in college I did a 7-day fast, while teaching martial arts, running, and maintaining a full workout schedule. Since I was able to do that, I assume I switched to fat-burning somewhere within those 7 days. (Surely I didn't have enough glycogen stores for 7 active days.) No hunger at all after day 3, no hunger at day 7. IF this works, and switches you to fat-burning, what are the indicators to let you know you've switched over? The no hunger point maybe? Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
          I think that if you have never been a fat burning beast before, the first time will be a bitch and there's probably not a lot you can do to speed it up or make it easier, other than the usual things like taking some magnesium, reducing your cardio, eating more fat and other things commonly recommended. After that though, if you don't suddenly go back to your old high-carb (sugar and flour and junk food) ways, you ought to be able to easily slip back into fat-burning mode easily, and be able to speed it up with a little fast or a period of very low carb. I was able to do that for my vacation. I like to slip into low carb for a few days before I go backpacking so that my body can handle the extra exercise more easily and it always seems to work great for me.
          Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

excellent advice....

Comment

Fasting for 24 hours, drinking loads of quality water, exercising while on the fast but not too much & not lifted heavy or lots of weights, then breaking the fast with coconut or other MCT oils like sat fats like red palm . Or just sat fats from meat or fish. Doing a 80% fat diet like you are epilectic, this will push you there faster. But in the end, medium & long term habits & consistency will help you achieve & keep your "fat burning beast" goal. Let the fasting or fat fest begin... !

Comment

Originally posted by Betorq View Post
                I don't completely agree with your last sentence. For SOME people, it may very well be true. Also, for many people 100 daily grams will not allow them to enter into or stay in true ketosis nor will it allow them to get to "fat burning". Some people will not burn fat til they dip to 75 or even 50 or 30 daily grams. Wide variances among people. Also, converting into being a fat burning beast is not the same as going into & holding ketosis for 7 days or just casually "fat burning". It can take much longer, depending on the person, their health & activity levels, to fully convert.
                wait, i'm trying to advise the OP not to go into ketosis, just want to be clear...

the idea that you won't burn fat at 100 grams of carb a day is laughable. what, pray tell, would you be burning to sustain life?? 100 grams of carbs is 400 calories. i don't know anyone with a total daily energy expenditure of 400 calories. you have to make up the rest from somewhere, and protein alone won't get you there. so you'll burn fat. if you want to be a fat burning best, fuel yourself with fat. your system will burn what you give it, because we're really, really good at staying alive.

Comment

You might google the Atkins "Fat Fast" plan for a quick transition that is relatively painless.

Comment

wait, i'm trying to advise the OP not to go into ketosis, just want to be clear...

the idea that you won't burn fat at 100 grams of carb a day is laughable. what, pray tell, would you be burning to sustain life?? 100 grams of carbs is 400 calories. i don't know anyone with a total daily energy expenditure of 400 calories. you have to make up the rest from somewhere, and protein alone won't get you there. so you'll burn fat. if you want to be a fat burning best, fuel yourself with fat. your system will burn what you give it, because we're really, really good at staying alive.
                    Why? Are you anti-ketosis? I know there are ketosis bashers on MDA, so it's no big deal is you count yourself as 1...

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                    You might google the Atkins "Fat Fast" plan for a quick transition that is relatively painless.
                    Ah yup. I give so much credit to Dr. Atkins for forwarding the "fat is good, refined carbs/processed sugars are bad" cause so early on, & for forwarding the efficacy of, & the wisdom of inducing ketosis into the mainstream.

Comment

Why? Are you anti-ketosis? I know there are ketosis bashers on MDA, so it's no big deal is you count yourself as 1...
                      kinda. i won't go so far as to call myself a basher, because if it works for you & you're healthy, then by all means, go with it. the best three things you can do for your health are to take a walk each day, not be overweight, and not smoke.

but i do not think that ketosis confers any health benefits in and of itself, or any metabolic advantage. it certainly confers no performance benefits, and can come with all sorts of downsides and unwanted effects, that can take a while to manifest.

if it works for you vis a vis weightloss, stick with it. i don't like it though.

Comment

kinda. i won't go so far as to call myself a basher, because if it works for you & you're healthy, then by all means, go with it. the best three things you can do for your health are to take a walk each day, not be overweight, and not smoke.

but i do not think that ketosis confers any health benefits in and of itself, or any metabolic advantage. it certainly confers no performance benefits, and can come with all sorts of downsides and unwanted effects, that can take a while to manifest.

if it works for you vis a vis weightloss, stick with it. i don't like it though.
                        so it's your personal opinion. Coz 80 years of clinical history of its use/success w/ treating epilectics(its use begain in early 1920s but was halted in the USA in 1928 after the 1st "miracle drug" for epilectic seizures came out), It's use was continued elsewhere outside the USA, So with lots of exciting studies most recently being conducted looking into it's effectiveness in all sorts of neurological conditions, disorders & injuries I and many many other smart researchers would say you are 100% wrong. just sayin'...

Comment

Ketosis really sucks if you want to make any real gains in the gym. That's been my experience, anyway.
                          My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

so it's your personal opinion. Coz 80 years of clinical history of its use/success w/ treating epilectics(its use begain in early 1920s but was halted in the USA in 1928 after the 1st "miracle drug" for epilectic seizures came out), It's use was continued elsewhere outside the USA, So with lots of exciting studies most recently being conducted looking into it's effectiveness in all sorts of neurological conditions, disorders & injuries I and many many other smart researchers would say you are 100% wrong. just sayin'...
                            i have no problem with treating epilepsy or any neurological dysfunction with a ketogenic diet! talk about a fucking red herring, man! i'm talking about adopting a ketogenic diet as a weight loss/maintenance strategy, or as part of a 'primal' lifestyle. this isn't an epilepsy sufferers forum, afterall.

Comment

Ah yup. I give so much credit to Dr. Atkins for forwarding the "fat is good, refined carbs/processed sugars are bad" cause so early on, & for forwarding the efficacy of, & the wisdom of inducing ketosis into the mainstream.
                              OT I guess, but so much info is available, yet every single stinking year I would go to my doctor to see why I was gaining weight. And not once did they mention anything about anything macros and diet related. Granted I had a long list and sleep seemed to get top billing and we would work on that and never get back to the other stuff. Then the next year I would go back and the same thing. I started using a cpap and finally was sleeping, and the last time I went back about my weight, it was the Nurse Practioner. She at least referred me to some places if I wanted to get surgery. Insurance wouldnt cover it, so finally, something started to click. I think it was Dr. Oz. Seriously. At least he got me to thinking about weight loss.

Anyways, I went back this past spring just to check my numbers, and it was the same NP and she was so impressed with my weight loss and asked me what I had been doing. I mentioned trying to watch carbs and how I noticed I am hungrier when I start my day with carbs and she was like oh yal, I do much better if I eat protein in the morning with little carbs.

I was like WHY DIDNT ANYONE TELL ME THAT SOONER??!! LIKE ALL THE YEARS I HAVE BEEN ASKING, BEGGING FOR ANSWERS! Anyways, with all this information here and there, all over the internet, I just cant believe I didnt stumble across something sooner. I guess I just wasnt ready to receive the information. I might have been exposed to it every day, I dont know, but it just wasnt registering.

Maybe blessing in disguise. Last time I was in weight loss mode, I was low to no fat everything. And lots of weight lifting. I probably would not have listened to any other way, and probably would have died from healthy heart disease or something. I was manic and probably over doing it and losing too much. Then I became PG and halted everything. Even without being PG, it was not a lifestyle, one that was sustainable for me because I never tried to go back.

Okay, I am done now
                              65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

Working...
                              X