Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ljbprrfmof View Post
    You never . . .??!!

Although, my wife reports having a mailbox talk to her.
    My brother insisted the terry cloth towels threads were moving (like sea creatures).

Comment

• Originally posted by RobinNM View Post
      Then why do you keep bringing her up so you can insult her again?

If you don't agree with someone, do as you claim that you have done and ignore them. Don't continue to bring that poster's name up ad nauseum and continue to bash them and reiterate over and over again how annoying you find them. Just ignore them.
      Ummm, because ElaineC brought it up and asked me that question.

Why not ask ElaineC why she raised it again when the thread had well and truly moved on.

Comment

• Originally posted by breadsauce View Post
        This. I can't see why such a great contributor to these threads has been so vilified.
        Because she thinks she owns the place? From what I can tell from private messages about it (seems there are a few going around behind the scenes, not just to me, from a number of other posters' comments) there is a bubbling resentment about the way she throws her weight around and is so vocal and smug and patronizing. This thread, especially the way she was so rude to James, appears to have brought it to a head. I can see the basis for the reaction.

Comment

• Originally posted by anna5 View Post
          I didn't follow the thread, but I glanced at Elaine's comment and found it scary - NO concept of ethics and aggressive, intimidating, style of "manipulative memos." Scary. Yeah, it matters to the world whether one climbs or not. Sure. These are the people who were utterly disgusting in past ... aggressive, bigoted, bullying. I'll stop here.
          I'd just like to say that I *didn't* find Elaine's comment scary.

Of course, the discussion and civilized debate seems to be gone by the wayside.

I personally rehydrate Nori sheets in warm water, shred them, and sprinkle them through other food like stir frys.
          Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
          5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
          Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
          TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
          bloodorchid is always right

Comment

• Originally posted by magicmerl View Post

I personally rehydrate Nori sheets in warm water, shred them, and sprinkle them through other food like stir frys.
            Good idea. Right before using them? Do they go all soggy and break up or clump up?

Comment

• Seeing as the peripheral discussion just won't die,
              I'll just throw my 2 cents in,

Paleobird,
              I have found some of your posts to be dismissive and sometimes snarky and other posts to be quite informative, likewise with James some good info as well, but also dismissive and rude if it was an opposing view.
              So what it doesn't phase me either way, if I feel bothered enough I will go play with google for a while, gather my information arsenal and fire away, that's what happens in these internet discussion groups, most of the time I just let people dig their own holes though, it's their journey and who am I to stop them fulfilling their destiny.
              Everyone shows their true colours in the end.

I did find it amusing for a while with the Private Journal discussions and the concurrent chestbeating occuring on the iodine thread, with both camps gathering strength in preparation for the next assult and then this mention of the PM's, which probably occured on both sides as well, this takes the cake.
              The only thing I could think of was the pubescent schoolgirls gathering in their "Bitchy" little groups, frantically texting on their mobile phones and garnering support so they have the courage to front the opposing group leader and say something nasty like "Did your outfit come from a Charity Bin?" (not being from that demographic, best I could think of).
              I don't know what the history has been and don't really care, get over it people all you self appointed defenders and attackers, let it go.
              Paleobird is a big girl now she can take care of herself and if others can not let go of persistantly attacking her character well that only shows up their own character flaws.

I think most people would like to classify themselves as adults, well then step up to the mark and behave that way.

I would like to hear more about Iodine though.
              Last edited by Omni; 08-23-2012, 06:36 PM.
              "There are no short cuts to enlightenment, the journey is the destination, you have to walk this path alone"

Comment

• Originally posted by lambchop View Post
                Good idea. Right before using them? Do they go all soggy and break up or clump up?
                well, I tear them into fingernail sized chunks first. I want them to break up/turn into paste. I'm putting them in stuff I serve the kids, so I don't want it to be too recognisable (even if they help me with the shredding)
                Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.

Comment

well, I tear them into fingernail sized chunks first. I want them to break up/turn into paste. I'm putting them in stuff I serve the kids, so I don't want it to be too recognisable (even if they help me with the shredding)
                  Haha, what a great trick. I'll try it, thanks for the idea.

Comment

• Nori sheets are also great for wrapping stuff that would "normally" go in a sandwich like tuna salad or whatever. Sort of an Asian fusion burrito.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                      Nori sheets are also great for wrapping stuff that would "normally" go in a sandwich like tuna salad or whatever. Sort of an Asian fusion burrito.
                      I don't really like eating Nori dry, when when it's moistened I find it tears very easily (basically only works with sushi). How can you use it as a wrap?

Comment

I don't really like eating Nori dry, when when it's moistened I find it tears very easily (basically only works with sushi). How can you use it as a wrap?
                        I think it's something about the oil content of stuff like tuna salad (made with my home made mayo). It gets into the nori enough so that it's not dry but it still holds together long enough to eat.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ferti View Post
                          The receptors looking for iodine but will take bromine instead - does that work the same with the other halogens? We need iodine and chloride but do we need fluoride or bromide? Perhaps because the body uses both iodine/iodide and chloride it can distinguish them apart and use them properly.
                          The thyroid will hold on to some iodine and occupation by some of the receptors by bromine has been shown to not affect thyroid function.

I have not seen any evidence that fluorine or chlorine can occupy iodine receptors in the thyroid.

Do we need fluoride and bromine. We do need small amounts of natural fluoride. There is no use for bromine in the system that I have ever seen other than to prevent an excess of iodine.

Originally posted by Ferti View Post
                          I also wonder how well we are digesting seaweed. You need to have particular bacteria in the gut to digest it. If you don't have the ability to digest it do you still get the other nutrients and just not the carb digestion?
                          Gut Bacteria Give Super Seaweed-Digestion Power to Japanese | Wired Science | Wired.com
                          I think the article is missing an important point. If the algae was fresh then the enzymes would be required to digest the cell walls. On the other hand if the seaweed is dried first this should crack the cell walls anyway allowing access to the nutrients. This is similar to trying to make tea by steeping fresh mint leaves. Doing so will make a tea with virtually no flavor since the cell walls remain intact. If you dry of freeze the mint leaves first though this cracks the cell walls allowing the oils and other compounds within the cells to escape giving the tea a full flavor.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ferti View Post
                            On another note I'm planning on putting some Lugol's in my chicken's watering can, not megadosing, just enough to keep the water clean and I'm assuming some benefit to the chicken and perhaps the egg eaters as well.
                            Something you may want to try is feeding your chickens dried nettle leaf. Nettle increases the growth of farm animals, and with chickens also makes stronger eggs with a higher protein content. It will make the yolks orange so don't freak out if you are not use to this color yolk.

If you have nettle growing wild in the area wear pants, long sleeve shirts and gloves when harvesting the nettle. It will sting and cause a rash if it touches the skin fresh. As it wilts it starts to lose its sting and loses it completely upon drying. I usually cut the plants down and gather up bunches. After they wilt for a few hours I start stripping the leaves off so they will dry faster preserving more nutrition. I spread them out on clean paper in a room with good airflow and out of the sunlight until dry. Once thoroughly dry the leaves can be crushed and fed to the animals. Nettle is rich in protein, vitamins and minerals and supports many systems of the body.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hoss2626 View Post
                              Yes that is the question that I also had. I am not dismissing it entirely however, as I saw a link to a study that measured bromine excretion in the urine. The amount of bromine went up with Iodine supplementation. So the why isn't necessary if the what is documented. I am too lazy to find the study though...
                              The body normally contains small amounts of bromine. And there is no question it can be displaced and excreted in the urine. What is really in question is is there enough bromine built up in the body and can enough be excreted quick enough to cause the symptoms of what people are referring to "bromine detox".

Comment

• Originally posted by Paysan View Post
                                This one? Handbook of Pesticide Toxicology by Kreiger. Page 1846 discusses that intracellular bromine is excreted very slowly and lasted about 5 days with no further intake. The kidneys and liver held the highest concentrations, the blood the lowest. My slowly evolving opinion is that because iodine is excreted relatively quickly, it takes a lot of iodine over that 5 days to oust the more persistent bromine. IOW, once it settles in your tissues, bromine is a star boarder and can be evicted only with difficulty.
                                Do you have a link to this book showing this actual book. I found it under Googlebooks and ran a search for bromine and I saw two pages where the word bromine came up. Pages 1235 and 1237. Both pages were only discussing the exchange between bromine and chlorine. Nothing about excretion.

Comment

Working...
                                X