Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Iodine: a discussion, and perhaps a civilized debate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by KathyH View Post
    The itchy spot was pink/red, raised, irregular. It was smooth before he started scratching it a lot and then it became crusty. It looked like yellow substance was coming out of it and it seemed like that as it was drying it was forming a crust. That's when he went to see a doctor and the doc gave him a steroid injection in that spot and put him on antibiotic to kill the infection. After the steroid injection he got a rash all over. BTW, he tried Benadryl to relieve the itch and it did nothing for him.
    I am off to find quercetin. Thank you.
    That narrows down a number of disorders, but the description still fits a few such as scabies, eczema or some other form of dermatitis. Did the doctor give an actual diagnosis?

    Comment


    • Originally posted by KathyH View Post
      I am not sure if this is the same as having thyroid gland removed but basically she took nuclear medicine to stop the thyroid gland functioning. I will ask her doctor for Nature-Throid. Thank you
      That would be radioactive iodine to destroy the thyroid. It does not always destroy 100% of the thyroid though.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by JamesS View Post
        That narrows down a number of disorders, but the description still fits a few such as scabies, eczema or some other form of dermatitis. Did the doctor give an actual diagnosis?
        The doc took a skin culture and found some staph for which he gave an antibiotic (keflax 500mg for 10 days). I am not sure if the culture test included antest for scabies. The worse spots are the ones where tbe topical hydrocortizone 2.5 has been applied. These are the most inflamed and itchy areas. He did not give a diagnosis yet as he still wangs to do skin biopsy and a skin patch test. That is scheduled weeks away but the for now the stinging/itching sensation continues. The areas one the face that came out 2 days ago sort of look swallen. He gave him Sarna lotion to relieve the itch but that made things worse. Cetaphil relieves itch for 2min.
        Last edited by KathyH; 08-19-2012, 11:48 AM.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by KathyH View Post
          Thanks.
          Which one is the best to start with Armour, Nature-Throid, Cytomel, or Cynomel?
          She is making an appointment with a different doctor. What tests should she ask to have done?
          Originally posted by KathyH View Post
          I am not sure if this is the same as having thyroid gland removed but basically she took nuclear medicine to stop the thyroid gland functioning. I will ask her doctor for Nature-Throid. Thank you
          Kathy, exactly what your mom needs to take depends on what the findings are of those tests Maile listed. Since it doesn't look like Synthroid is doing the job, she may need to take Nature-Throid or similar, or a combo of that and T3 only med, like I am taking. BTW, I mistakenly listed Cytomel and Cynomel under NDT in my last post, which I corrected. They are T3 only meds.
          Here's a list of all NDT: Options for thyroid treatment | Stop The Thyroid Madness

          The first step is finding a doctor who knows what he's doing with thyroids - so many of them don't. Here's a site for thyroid docs that others have recommended, by state: http://www.thyroid-info.com/topdrs/
          That's how I found mine.

          You could also ask a local pharmacy for the names of some doctors who prescribe Armour or Nature-Throid, those docs will also be more likely to do all of the necessary tests.
          Last edited by Owl; 08-19-2012, 11:56 AM.

          Comment


          • JamesS, Paleobird: I actually started a Soy thread: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post932840

            You both have mentioned it here and I didn't want to interrupt the thread. I'd welcome input there.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Owl View Post
              Kathy, exactly what your mom needs to take depends on what the findings are of those tests Maile listed. Since it doesn't look like Synthroid is doing the job, she may need to take Nature-Throid or similar, or a combo of that and T3 only med, like I am taking. BTW, I mistakenly listed Cytomel and Cynomel under NDT in my last post, which I corrected. They are T3 only meds.
              Here's a list of all NDT: Options for thyroid treatment | Stop The Thyroid Madness

              The first step is finding a doctor who knows what he's doing with thyroids - so many of them don't. Here's a site for thyroid docs that others have recommended, by state: Thyroid Top Doctors | Top Thyroid Doctors -- The Best Thyroid Doctors, Endocrinologists, Thyroidologists, Practitioners and Experts in the World as Nominated by Patients, from Patient Advocate Mary Shomon
              That's how I found mine.

              You could also ask a local pharmacy for the names of some doctors who prescribe Armour or Nature-Throid, those docs will also be more likely to do all of the necessary tests.
              Thank you. I will look for a specialist and have her do necessary tests.

              Comment


              • This thread is ridiculous. My kids could kick all your asses in a Bickering Throwdown.

                I'll stop back in in a few weeks to see who won. What's the prize for winning the argument? Complete and utter self-righteousness? Totally worth fighting for. Good luck to all combatants!!

                Comment


                • Question:

                  To my knowledge, 5% Lugol's iodine contains 6.25mg of iodine per drop. I found kelp supplements that contain 400mcg of iodine per capsule.

                  6.25mg = 6250mcg
                  6250/400 = 16

                  Does this mean 1 drop of 5% Lugol's contain 16 times more iodine than 1 kelp capsule? I'm not sure how to compare them, seeing as how Lugol's is a mixture of iodine and potassium iodide...
                  Last edited by Bosnic; 08-19-2012, 03:05 PM.

                  Comment


                  • wow when did this thread get so fucking retarded?
                    “There is immeasurably more left inside than what comes out in words…”
                    — Fyodor Dostoevsky

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by KathyH View Post
                      The doc took a skin culture and found some staph for which he gave an antibiotic (keflax 500mg for 10 days). I am not sure if the culture test included antest for scabies. The worse spots are the ones where tbe topical hydrocortizone 2.5 has been applied. These are the most inflamed and itchy areas. He did not give a diagnosis yet as he still wangs to do skin biopsy and a skin patch test. That is scheduled weeks away but the for now the stinging/itching sensation continues. The areas one the face that came out 2 days ago sort of look swallen. He gave him Sarna lotion to relieve the itch but that made things worse. Cetaphil relieves itch for 2min.
                      I don't know if you have access to an ozone unit, but blowing ozone on the area will kill the bacteria and promote the healing process.

                      Keeping the skin slightly acidic is also essential. Our skin also has flora that generate acids that help keep the skin healthy and fights pathogens. Dabbing some raw apple cider vinegar on the spot may help. If the skin is still broken open it may burn and irritate it a little at first but the acidity should kill the bacteria and the acidity will help maintain a slightly acidic pH. This will have to be repeated multiple times.

                      Comment


                      • [QUOTE=JamesS;932462]Thyroid. 2001 May;11(5):493-500.

                        ...
                        Possibly the presence of autonomous thyroid function permits the synthesis and release of excess quantities of thyroid hormones. The presence of thyroid autoimmunity in patients residing in iodine-insufficient areas who develop iodine-induced hyperthyroidism has not been unanimously observed. In iodine-sufficient areas, iodine-induced hyperthyroidism has been reported in euthyroid patients with previous thyroid diseases. [/]

                        Let me see if I understand this -the thyroid has protective mechanisms built in to protect against excess iodine. Moreover, in persons previously treated for thyroid diseases, excess iodine may cause hyperthyroidism. 300 mg of amiodarone daily, far above the normal requirements for iodine, can have such an effect. But unlike iodine, amiodarone builds up in the body and is not excreted on a daily basis. Therefore, this study is not comparing apples with apples, nor iodine ill-effects with an easily excreted iodine, but a recognized long lasting drug. Am I correct so far?

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Bosnic View Post
                          Question:

                          To my knowledge, 5% Lugol's iodine contains 6.25mg of iodine per drop. I found kelp supplements that contain 400mcg of iodine per capsule.

                          6.25mg = 6250mcg
                          6250/400 = 16

                          Does this mean 1 drop of 5% Lugol's contain 16 times more iodine than 1 kelp capsule? I'm not sure how to compare them, seeing as how Lugol's is a mixture of iodine and potassium iodide...
                          Now I am not sure I am comparing right too...what to do when there are more then one form of iodine. What kelp capsules are you using Bosnic?

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by homunculus View Post
                            wow when did this thread get so fucking retarded?
                            It runs in the family. The related thread was also retarded.

                            Comment


                            • [QUOTE=Paysan;933210]
                              Originally posted by JamesS View Post
                              Thyroid. 2001 May;11(5):493-500.

                              ...
                              Possibly the presence of autonomous thyroid function permits the synthesis and release of excess quantities of thyroid hormones. The presence of thyroid autoimmunity in patients residing in iodine-insufficient areas who develop iodine-induced hyperthyroidism has not been unanimously observed. In iodine-sufficient areas, iodine-induced hyperthyroidism has been reported in euthyroid patients with previous thyroid diseases. [/]

                              Let me see if I understand this -the thyroid has protective mechanisms built in to protect against excess iodine. Moreover, in persons previously treated for thyroid diseases, excess iodine may cause hyperthyroidism. 300 mg of amiodarone daily, far above the normal requirements for iodine, can have such an effect. But unlike iodine, amiodarone builds up in the body and is not excreted on a daily basis. Therefore, this study is not comparing apples with apples, nor iodine ill-effects with an easily excreted iodine, but a recognized long lasting drug. Am I correct so far?
                              something of MORE import than what you point out, look at what is known that everyone agrees on - the thyroid has a mechanism that is triggered when one ingests 130mg of potassium iodide. whether youre an evolutionist or a creationist, there is only one reason for this - the ability to ingest that much or more iodine in nature.

                              only the ones who are supposed to figure that out will do so. the rest of you(you know who you are) can have this retarded thread. i am out of here.

                              one last thing. a dedication to james and his minions(even the ones he creates and answers to himself with):

                              Talking Heads - Road To Nowhere - YouTube

                              <div style="float: left; margin: 3px"><object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" style="width:640px; height:360px;" data="http://www.youtube.com/v/JtdBtZOG17E?fs=1">
                              <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JtdBtZOG17E?fs=1" />
                              <param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" />
                              <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" />
                              </object><div style="font-size: 0.8em"><a href="http://www.tools4noobs.com/online_tools/youtube_xhtml/">Get your own valid XHTML YouTube embed code</a></div></div>

                              Comment


                              • good idea to moderate

                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtdBtZOG17E
                                all the best
                                steve
                                Last edited by organicsteve; 08-20-2012, 10:38 AM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X