Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post
    you didn't eat enough iodine, pandapandapants
    Dammit, how much do I need to take to be magical? This is getting ridiculous. I got so discouraged last week that I stopped taking any.
    JOIN THE PANDA SHOW!!! Primal With A Side Of FABULOUS and PANDALOONERY!

Comment

• Originally posted by Gay Panda View Post
      Dammit, how much do I need to take to be magical? This is getting ridiculous. I got so discouraged last week that I stopped taking any.
      anywhere from 1 microgram to 1000 milligrams *nodnod*
      beautiful
      yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
      lol

Comment

• Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post
        anywhere from 1 microgram to 1000 milligrams *nodnod*
        Maybe I was missing one of the companion supplements that fires up the magical potential of iodine. * headdesk *

Comment

• I think the real secret magic that some of these fine folks aren't telling the Panda is that they are taking the Iodine supplements... but also SKIPPING the Lithium supplements.
          “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
          ~Friedrich Nietzsche
          And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

• Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
            I think the real secret magic that some of these fine folks aren't telling the Panda is that they are taking the Iodine supplements... but also SKIPPING the Lithium supplements.
            I love that Lithium song by Evanescence. I listen to it whenever I'm writing the lines for a particularly dour character.

It's like the iodine version of the underpants gnomes in South Park:

1. Take iodine.
            2. ???????????
            3. Become magical.

Comment

• Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
              I think the real secret magic that some of these fine folks aren't telling the Panda is that they are taking the Iodine supplements... but also SKIPPING the Lithium supplements.
              Touche' baby, tou-freakin'-che'.
              "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• Now, can we get back to discussing iodine? Does ANYONE have any real evidence to counter what has already been presented here?

Comment

I love that Lithium song by Evanescence. I listen to it whenever I'm writing the lines for a particularly dour character.

It's like the iodine version of the underpants gnomes in South Park:

1. Take iodine.
                  2. ???????????
                  3. Become magical.
                  I love those gnomes...

Almost as much as Kitty.
                  “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                  ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

• The bitters take a bit to get used to. Do you need to drink lots of water when you take them (seems to defeat the point) or just later?

Comment

• Here, let's see if we can get this thread back on topic:

Thyroid. 2001 May;11(5):501-10.

Iodine-Induced hypothyroidism.

Markou K, Georgopoulos N, Kyriazopoulou V, Vagenakis AG.

Source

Department of Medicine, University of Patras Medical School, Greece.

Abstract

Iodine is an essential element for thyroid hormone synthesis. The thyroid gland has the capacity and holds the machinery to handle the iodine efficiently when the availability of iodine becomes scarce, as well as when iodine is available in excessive quantities. The latter situation is handled by the thyroid by acutely inhibiting the organification of iodine, the so-called acute Wolff-Chaikoff effect, by a mechanism not well understood 52 years after the original description. It is proposed that iodopeptide(s) are formed that temporarily inhibit thyroid peroxidase (TPO) mRNA and protein synthesis and, therefore, thyroglobulin iodinations. The Wolff-Chaikoff effect is an effective means of rejecting the large quantities of iodide and therefore preventing the thyroid from synthesizing large quantities of thyroid hormones. The acute Wolff-Chaikoff effect lasts for few a days and then, through the so-called "escape" phenomenon, the organification of intrathyroidal iodide resumes and the normal synthesis of thyroxine (T4) and triiodothyronine (T3) returns. This is achieved by decreasing the intrathyroidal inorganic iodine concentration by down regulation of the sodium iodine symporter (NIS) and therefore permits the TPO-H202 system to resume normal activity. However, in a few apparently normal individuals, in newborns and fetuses, in some patients with chronic systemic diseases, euthyroid patients with autoimmune thyroiditis, and Graves' disease patients previously treated with radioimmunoassay (RAI), surgery or antithyroid drugs, the escape from the inhibitory effect of large doses of iodides is not achieved and clinical or subclinical hypothyroidism ensues. Iodide-induced hypothyroidism has also been observed in patients with a history of postpartum thyroiditis, in euthyroid patients after a previous episode of subacute thyroiditis, and in patients treated with recombinant interferon-alpha who developed transient thyroid dysfunction during interferon-a treatment. The hypothyroidism is transient and thyroid function returns to normal in 2 to 3 weeks after iodide withdrawal, but transient T4 replacement therapy may be required in some patients. The patients who develop transient iodine-induced hypothyroidism must be followed long term thereafter because many will develop permanent primary hypothyroidism.

Comment

• Presse Med. 2002 Oct 26;31(35):1670-5.

[Hypothyroidism related to excess iodine].

[Article in French]

Wémeau JL.

Source

Clinique endocrinologique Marc Linquette CHRU de Lille USNA, 59037 Lille. jl-wemeau@chru-lille.fr

Abstract

WOLFF-CHAIKOFF'S EFFECT: The thyroid gland has a capacity to reduce thyroid hormone production in the presence of excess iodine by reducing the organification of the iodine. This Wolff-Chaikoff effect is observed after 48 hours and protects the organism from excessive synthesis of the thyroid hormones. This effect is usually temporary and within a few days thyroid hormone synthesis returns to normal through the so-called 'escape' phenomenon. However in a few normal individuals and in some susceptible patients, the escape does not occur. THE CONTEXT OF OCCURRENCE: Iodine-induced hypothyroidism is observed in fetuses, newborn, adults and in the elderly. It is observed in individuals without underlying overt thyroid disorder, and specially in patients with autoimmune thyroiditis or those previously treated for thyroid diseases (Graves' disease, subacute or pospartum thyroiditis, iatrogenic thyroid dysfunction...). FROM A CLINICAL AND PROGRESSIVE POINT OF VIEW: The hormone deficiency is of obvious clinical expression, or sometimes discreet and revealed by hormone exploration. It is usually temporary, regressing with a few days or weeks after iodine withdrawal. Nevertheless, some patients require transient hormone replacement therapy.

Comment

• AAACK! I was just watching that on YouTube when you posted. Profit!!!!!

Iodine. Maybe I'll line up the rest of my pills on the windowsill and flick them at the chickens in the hopes enough iodine will make them explode. Avada Kedavra needs the whole world to know when she's getting ready to fart out an egg, and I'm tired of her ruckus.

Comment

• Originally posted by JamesS View Post
                            Once again you have everything wrong. First of all if someone is going to post an outright lie about me just because they got their ass whooped by real evidence and they were unhappy about it then it does not matter where that post is. I have every right to respond to their lie. You keep referring to everyone having a screw loose, but your constant lies and insults just proves to everyone who really has the loose screw. If you cannot figure out who that is take a long hard look in the mirror.
                            [...]
                            Why don't you do everyone a favor and check out of this thread as you claimed you were doing earlier? Oh, that's right you are incapable of telling the truth.
                            Please try to keep things civil and avoid personal attacks, even if they're responses to perceived attacks. I'm finding your posts quite interesting in general where they don't devolve into pointless arguments with two or three others.

Incidentally, Paleobird had a good point earlier about how some of this is getting quite off the topic of iodine. Perhaps you could start another thread about herbal remedies or some such for the non-iodine-related discussions? I doubt that I'd be the only one here who would follow it too
                            Argue not with idiots, lest they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Comment

AAACK! I was just watching that on YouTube when you posted. Profit!!!!!

Iodine. Maybe I'll line up the rest of my pills on the windowsill and flick them at the chickens in the hopes enough iodine will make them explode. Avada Kedavra needs the whole world to know when she's getting ready to fart out an egg, and I'm tired of her ruckus.
                              I really don't mind that they steal underwear... I go commando a lot anyway, iodine inspires it*.
                              Last edited by cori93437; 08-18-2012, 08:28 PM.
                              ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

• Originally posted by Quarry View Post
                                The bitters take a bit to get used to. Do you need to drink lots of water when you take them (seems to defeat the point) or just later?
                                Once the receptors have been stimulated by the initial bitter taste it does not matter if you drink water. Even the saliva is going to gradually remove the taste. But with increased liver function there will be more of a "detox", which is why it is important to drink plenty of water throughout the day. Some people will develop mild flu-like symptoms initially, especially if they do not drink enough water.

Comment

Working...
                                X