Iodine: a discussion, and perhaps a civilized debate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MarissaLinnea View Post
    I just wanted to add my personal experience here. As someone who has had their thyroid tested religiously over the years and know that the normal range is for myself, I believe that supplementing with iodine has actually raised my TSH levels and has basically put me into subclinical hypothyroidism. I have been supplementing with iodine for a couple months because I was afraid I wasn't going to get enough after going Primal/Paleo.

I had my TSH tested about 6-8 months ago with a level of 1.27. I just had my TSH tested again a couple weeks ago and returned with a level of 3.14......I have gained 10 lbs in the last two months and I'm more tired than normal. Now, it's possible that this could just be a fluke or coincidence, but I really felt like something wasn't right, mostly because I bumped my workouts way up when I started gaining and it hasn't made a difference, and in fact I continue gaining. I have always been fit and when I have fallen out of shape in the past, it doesn't take much exercise for the pounds to start falling off. I usually don't even have to alter my diet much to get great results because I push myself really hard physically. After spending the last month doing more exercise and not losing or staying the same, but in fact gaining, I knew something wasn't right. My TSH has always been from .7 to 1.5 and that is normal for me. The only thing I can think of that would have affected it so much is supplementing with idodine. That being said, I am no longer taking anymore iodine and I pray to God that my thyroid goes back to normal and I can get this weight off. And because my TSH isn't out of the "normal range" by the labs standards, my doc refuses to do anymore tests for me. It's extremely frustrating.

So, make sure you do your research and talk with your doctor before supplementing with iodine
    Thank you, MarissaLinnea, for sharing your story. Yes, people are helped by iodine, I and the others "peeing in the pool" as DuhPrincess put it (such a mature expression), never said otherwise. Just to be careful, get real testing, know how much if any supplementation you might need and keep your doctor in the loop. Examples such as Marissa's would probably be thrown out of the curezone as "trolls". This is the good thing about an open forum. All side of the debate.

I hope things improve for you, Marissa. Please let everyone know how you are doing.

Comment

• duhprincess, et all

could you please tell me who is saying do not take any iodine? because i've read the previous thread and this one and i'm missing it

granted, i do wear glasses and i'm blind as a bat without them

so can one or all of you please let me know?
      beautiful
      yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
      lol

Comment

• Originally posted by DuhPrincess View Post
        And if you wanna get pissed about a doctor with a conflict of interest making money off people, the TSH Test is one of those products. It's patented and considered the "Gold Standard" for thyroid testing by those who created it, patented it plus demanded its use by all doctors. They are now making a truckload of money off it and it helps FEW people. All it does it tell the doctor how much TSH was circulating in your blood at the moment of the test--not if your body was USING it or able to CONVERT it for use by your body. Most doctors (even endos) know little about properly diagnosing hypothyroidism. Go read at StopTheThyroidMadness.com if you want to really learn about the thyroid and uneducated doctors.
        Just for clarification:
        TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone) is not a thyroid hormone. It is pituitary hormone that signals the thyroid to make hormones. Additionally, TSH isn't "used" by the body or converted into any thyroid hormone.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paysan View Post
          I'm not seeing any image circled in red!!! I hate being the dunce, but honestly, I don't even see the bubbles, John. However, I shall mess up my quoting trying your way as well.;-)
          There was a red circle in the image I had included with my post. The image was of the reply box that you do your typing in, that I had added the circle too. You will not find the circle on the forum's reply box. The box has several buttons across the top and the second to last one is the button to push if you want to include a quote. The last one is the ABC button to check your spelling.

LJ
          Learning the intricacies of healthy eating and nourishing my body the right way.
          I am not bald, that is a Vitamin D collector. Time to Grok and Roll!
          Eased into a primal diet starting at Christmas 2011. Goal weight - 205 started: 240 pounds waist 40, now 227 pounds and waist 38 Summer 2012 - weight =215 and waist is actually still 39"
          ljbprrfmof = LJ = Little John = John

Comment

• Originally posted by DuhPrincess View Post
            So again, I will ask that those of you who refuse to use iodine supplements for bromide detoxing or other health concerns go start another thread that is devoted entirely to "Haters of Iodine Supplementation and Outright Disdain for Those Who Use It." Then you can stop peeing in our pool where we want to simply discuss iodine with each other so we can make good choices as we use it. And I promise I won't come to your hateful thread and pee in YOUR pool. And if you aren't mature enough to accept something so reasonable, I again say that it has to be a truly hateful person that would refuse that compromise. Many of you are like a fly buzzing near my ear with no real purpose to be here other than to continue buzzing & biting until I finally get frustrated enough to swat you. Grizz said and it wouldn't work to start a new thread because you'd all come here and do the same thing again. When I read PB's very first post here bashing Brownstein, I almost posted, "Grizz called it!" I resisted at the time but then went overboard swatting later. (Quote by PaleoBird: "Dr. Brownstein is in the business of selling iodine and supplements. Is it any wonder he advocates such a high dosage of iodine and says the supplements are "required"?")
            Who has said that they refuse to take iodine, and that they hate iodine supplementation and have disdain for those who take it? Here's a helpful hint for you. If you have to misrepresent what someone said in order to make your point, then you probably don't have much of a point.

And what do you mean, your pool? This is a general thread about iodine, not an iodine supplementation advocacy thread, or a thread specifically about the Brownstein approach. It was started by Sceptic, who in the first post stated that he is supplementing with a moderate amount of iodine. There were 60 posts in the thread before you ever joined in (with a particularly nasty diatribe in post #61). Funny how the thread has turned south since that point. But here you are accusing others of "peeing in your pool", and suggesting that they should start a different thread. Your level of egocentricity is simply breathtaking.

Here is a sincere suggestion. I would suggest that you start a new thread, titled "Dr. Brownstein Iodine Protocol". That would make the thread specific to that topic, and I think it would enable you to have more of the type of discussion you're looking for.
            LastBottleWines

Comment

• Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
              This is the full study as published in the Journal of Cancer : Effectiveness of population-based service screening with mammography for women ages 40 to 49 years - Hellquist - 2010 - Cancer - Wiley Online Library

It clearly shows that mammograms do save lives when you look at the long term. Studies showing pessimistic results were too short to see the benefits.

No, you don't know my history but I was not lucky enough to have one of the slow growing kind of tumors you speak of. Mine was a fast growing, invasive bugger. I would be dead if I hadn't been treated in time. This is medical fact, not opinion.

But what should it matter what is statistically likely or unlikely? What if you happened to get one like mine? Why would you take such a risk with your life when there is a simple and non physically harmful diagnostic tool available?

I went through hell and back and I have some nasty scars that will never go away but I'm alive. I climbed the world's tallest freestanding mountain last year. I just turned 50 and plan on at least another 50.

Get a mammogram, ladies. Ignorance is not bliss when it comes to cancer.
              Hi Paleobird, don't know if you have already mentioned it before but I am really curious why you decided to go for that first mammogram checkup? Did you have any prior symptoms or family history as such that your doctor suggested a mammogram in your 40s (my assumption, correct me if I'm wrong) or it was a personal decision by you? What are some of the diagnostic checkups that you are doing now since remission? Sorry if some these questions are too personal, it's okay if you don't want to answer. Thanks so much!

Comment

• Originally posted by chahaya View Post
                Hi Paleobird, don't know if you have already mentioned it before but I am really curious why you decided to go for that first mammogram checkup? Did you have any prior symptoms or family history as such that your doctor suggested a mammogram in your 40s (my assumption, correct me if I'm wrong) or it was a personal decision by you? What are some of the diagnostic checkups that you are doing now since remission? Sorry if some these questions are too personal, it's okay if you don't want to answer. Thanks so much!
                My HMO follows the American Cancer Society guidelines for testing which means that it's standard at 40. I was diagnosed at 45. Had I waited until 50 to have my first mammogram I would be dead. (And there is no way that 5 mammograms "caused" cancer. That is tinfoil hat nonsense parroted by people who don't even have a basic understanding of the quantities of radiation involved.)

Since cancer, I have been checked annually with a mammogram and do self exams as well. I just recently passed the five year cancer free mark which is when the doctors all take a big sigh of relief. Statistically speaking, after five years one is almost back to normal.

Someone earlier mentioned thermography which is an interesting technology with a lot of promise for the future but, as it stands now, it is highly inaccurate compared to a mammogram leading to some false positives and panic but worse, leading to false negatives and false security while a cancer grows.

I had no symptoms, nothing visible or palpable and absolutely zero family history but the minute I got diagnosed my sister (3 years older than me) who had been putting off getting a mammogram certainly got it in gear and got to the doctor. She's fine thankfully.

Comment

• My wife's sister, who is 72 just recently, had a mammogram and it came back fine. However since two of her other sisters died from breast cancer the doctor, ordered an MRI. The MRI discovered a small lump. There was a biopsy done and it came back as cancer. The Doctor, just today said that she would just remove the lump but strongly advises my wife's sister to get both breasts removed based on family history.

My wife is 57.

Just reporting what I heard.

t2t

Comment

• Originally posted by t2t View Post
                    My wife's sister, who is 72 just recently, had a mammogram and it came back fine. However since two of her other sisters died from breast cancer the doctor, ordered an MRI. The MRI discovered a small lump. There was a biopsy done and it came back as cancer. The Doctor, just today said that she would just remove the lump but strongly advises my wife's sister to get both breasts removed based on family history.

My wife is 57.
                    Just reporting what I heard.
                    t2t
                    An MRI is even more accurate than a mammogram. It's a more expensive machine and a much longer more involved and more uncomfortable procedure so it is only recommended in cases like this with a strong family history.

Advice to get a mastectomy to prevent cancer generally happens only in cases of the BRCA1 mutation being present. This does pose a large risk but prophylactic mastectomy is still a choice and not one to be made lightly. I'm not sure what I would do in that situation.
                    Last edited by Paleobird; 08-06-2012, 09:56 PM.

Comment

• Thank you Paleobird,

If anyone other than her Doctor of 60 years suggested that Iodine & selenomethionine might help her, even tiny doses she would probably stop eating salt with its tad of iodine. (being serious)

Comment

• Originally posted by t2t View Post
                        Thank you Paleobird,

If anyone other than her Doctor of 60 years suggested that Iodine & selenomethionine might help her, even tiny doses she would probably stop eating salt with its tad of iodine. (being serious)
                        The BRCA1 mutation causes a highly aggressive form of cancer that can easily elude lumpectomy and spread very quickly. I suggest both your wife and her sister read up on this to be able to make informed choices.

The kinds of breast cancer that Grizz was talking about iodine "curing" (as erroneous as that was) were DCIS and LCIS, Ductal and Lobular Carcinoma in Situ. These types of cancer are pussycats compared to the lion that is a BRCA1 mutated cancer. Iodine, in the amount your body needs, is a good part of overall health but, please, don't rely solely on it to stop a BRCA1 tumor. That would be like sword fighting a hydra with a feather.

Comment

• Again... Thank you Paleobird,

I'll try to find out what kind it is. Her Internal Doctor is 92 or 93 and still practicing. (Hey. Maybe his opinion might deserve attention

But. What I was trying to say is that if Iodine in her case could save her, she is so headstrong that NO one, other than her Internal Doctor would she dare listen to. I'll keep you all informed...

t2t

Comment

• *sigh*

Iodine. Does. Not. Cure. Cancer.

Comment

• i'd like to jump in and say that cystic ovaries are just one of many and varied symptoms. women diagnosed with pcos won't even necessarily have cysts of any kind. i don't have cysts of any kind, which is why iodine hasn't 'healed' my pcos

pcos is an insulin based disorder
                              beautiful
                              yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                              lol

Comment

• @Bloodorchid,
                                Have you had a chance to get an MRI? I know they are very expensive.

When I paint 200 to 300 Milligrams of Iodine on my daughter’s back I have to give her much less insulin.
                                For instance when I checked her blood last night it was a little high at 156. (she sneaks food at times) So I gave her 11 and a half units, of the 24 hour insulin LANTUS. I normally give her 13 units. I didn’t give her any NOVALOG the 2 hour insulin as usually I would have given her at least 1 whole unit of the NOVALOG with the 13 units of the LANTUS.
                                She was extra active yesterday also so I didn’t give her the D3. I would have had to of reduced her insulin even more if I would have given her even 5000 IU’s of D3.

Both she and my wife had HYPOthyroid several months ago. They both were on 5000 IU’s of D3 at the time and both were taking up to 5 MILLIgrams of K2. My daughter’s TSH from the pituitary gland was over 4. My wife’s was over 5.
                                So I started painting 200 to 300 MILLIgrams of iodine on both of them. That’s roughly 24 to 34 MILLIgrams of iodine absorbed into the bloodstream. Had both of them taking 200 MICROgrams of SeMC selenium also. ( I cannot stress the need for selenomethionine or SeMC enough while taking Iodine) No other cofactors were being taken. I talked our Doctor into rechecking both of their TSH’s a little over eight weeks later.

My wife’s ad Daughter’s TSH’s were 1.31 and 1.41 as best as I can remember. However their body temperature was 96.1 and 97.2 respectively too. So I got the Doctor to give them each 30 MILLIgrams of Armour and both of their body temperatures’ have risen up to 98.4 when checked in the morning before they both get out of bed.

I was HYPERthyroid a few years ago. So I started taking over 100 milligrams of iodine with 200 MICROgrams of selenomethionine. ( I take 200 mcg’s of SeMC now too). Three months later my TSH went from below .30 up to 1.37.
                                1.37 is where I felt my best. And it has stayed close to 1.37 for almost 5 years of taking over 100 MILLIgrams of iodine internally with 200 mcg’s of selenomethionine.

I am not saying that anyone on this board take any amount of iodine or any selenomethionine. I am just saying what Iodine and selenomethionine (now SeMC has done for my family and me.) And 30 mg’s of Armour for my wife and daughter. And of course D3 and K2 mk4 with iodine has caused my wife to lose over 30 lbs in 8 weeks and my daughter and I to lose over 16 lbs. Actually I have lost over 25 lbs total after I upped my D3 intake from 2000 IU’s to 10,000 IU’s like my wife takes each and every night t bedtime. And we all take 1 mg’s of K2 mk4 three times a day with 1 teaspoon of coconut or olive oil. (I am taking 3 tablespoons instead of teaspoons temporarily to see if it will raise my HDL above 30) on my next blood test.

P.S. The higher amounts of D3 have already dropped my A1C to 6.1. I had already stopped taking metformin several weeks before that blood test was conducted.

My A1C should be in the mid 5 range my next blood test visit.

Good wishes, always

t2t

Comment

Working...
                                X