Metallic taste in mouth?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metallic taste in mouth?

Anybody ever get a metallic taste in your mouth when first going primal? I've been doing about 70-80g carbs a day for 2.5 wks or so. Had the funky taste for 3 or 4 days now. And I'm a guy so probably not pregnant.

Could be a few different things, but it's most likely from going low carb. Other reasons could be a change in medication, mineral imbalances/zinc deficiency...
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

Comment

Yep. A metallic taste is a fairly common side effect of transitioning to ketosis. Don't worry. It's not permanent.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
        Yep. A metallic taste is a fairly common side effect of transitioning to ketosis. Don't worry. It's not permanent.
        Hmm.. why is that a common side effect? Anybody knows?
        Take a walk on the wild side.

Comment

i had that one time when I followed the atkins long time ago, I don't recall the taste ever leaving my mouth, then again, I stayed on atkin for only three weeks...so maybe it goes eventually?

Comment

I'm now officially no-carb as a food allergy test came back, and I'm freakin' allergic to EVERYTHING. Especially EGGS. *sobs*

Glad the metallic taste isn't going to last! Just noticed it yesterday. Kinda freaked me out.

So far, I'm feeling pretty damn good.
            A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Comment

Originally posted by ToldUzo View Post
              Hmm.. why is that a common side effect? Anybody knows?
              From the livestrong site:
              Ketosis
              When your body burns fat for energy, the fat breaks down and creates chemicals called ketones. This is called ketosis. A byproduct of ketones is a chemical called acetone. Your body gets rid of the acetone in your body by breathing it out, which is why you may have a funny taste in your mouth. Your breath may smell funny to others when you're experiencing ketosis as well. Some people describe the taste and smell as a fruity or sweet taste, while others say it tastes metallic.

Comment

Ah ok, so it's the acetone byproduct that give you a metallic taste in mouth. But then it propably don't disapear, you just get used to it, right? I mean as long as you stay in ketosis.
                Take a walk on the wild side.

Comment

I'm reading different things about why your heart pounds in ketosis. I had trouble sleeping last night because of it.

I had 1/2 teaspoon of honey this morning, and the pounding stopped. Is this a low-blood sugar issue? Carb flu? Low potassium?

WILL IT GO AWAY?!

Damn the internet and it's conflicting info!!! *shakes fist*
                  A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Comment

Have you been eating any pine nuts? Some people get the weird-taste reaction for a few days afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by ToldUzo View Post
                      Ah ok, so it's the acetone byproduct that give you a metallic taste in mouth. But then it propably don't disapear, you just get used to it, right? I mean as long as you stay in ketosis.
                      Your body gets more efficient at using the ketone bodies for fuel if you stay in ketosis. So there is less being processed out. This is also why the ketostix become less reliable after you have been in ketosis a while.

Comment

Originally posted by patski View Post
                        I'm reading different things about why your heart pounds in ketosis. I had trouble sleeping last night because of it.
                        I had 1/2 teaspoon of honey this morning, and the pounding stopped. Is this a low-blood sugar issue? Carb flu? Low potassium?
                        WILL IT GO AWAY?!
                        Damn the internet and it's conflicting info!!! *shakes fist*
                        I have never heard of this side effect and never had it myself. My WAG would be that it is a general system changeover causing stress issue and I would prescribe a chill pill and some good sleep, and less internet surfing.

Comment

you could also be short of vitamin D in your diet as many of us are

Comment

Originally posted by patski View Post
                            I'm now officially no-carb as a food allergy test came back, and I'm freakin' allergic to EVERYTHING. Especially EGGS. *sobs*
                            Food allergy tests are frustrating and confusing. IgE tests (those sometimes deadly food allergies) are more reliable than the IgG tests (the food sensitivities or intolerances). My son's IgG testing said he was intolerant of some things he had never eaten... but if you broke it down it really said he was having trouble digesting animal proteins. Adding a pancreatic enzyme called Creon made all the difference in the world! He gained 6lbs in 6mos after not gaining any weight in 18 months (despite getting taller). It also seemed to broaden his appetite.

I think IgG testing is too variable and unreliable to count on. Is this the test that lists foods as +1, +2, etc? Some you can rotate into your diet. I hope you have a good practitioner that can help you weed through what your test really means.

No fun.

Do you have silver amalgams in your mouth? Once I had mine replaced with composites, I never have a metallic taste anymore. But, can't say I've even been in ketosis either.
                            sigpic
                            Age 48
                            Start date: 7-5-12
                            5'3"
                            121lbs
                            GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
                            Henri Frederic Amiel

Comment

Working...
                            X