Monsanto trying to sneak GM crops into food supply

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monsanto trying to sneak GM crops into food supply

A one-line amendment in the huge agriculture bill now under consideration would require the secretary of agriculture to grant permits for planting or cultivating GM crops even if a federal court has given an injunction against it. This amendment would would strip judges of their constitutional mandate to protect consumer rights and the environment.

Please sign a petition calling to stop the unregulated frankenfood invasion.

I think GMO grains pretty much dominate the food supply now~ as far as I'm concerned, I'm not going to eat them anyway so it's nothing to get excited about. Other than that, maybe those that want to eat grains should look for organic, non-GMO sources.

Comment

I'm bumping this up because it's a huge concern and Monsanto may be one of the biggest contributors to ill health in this country. It's certainly more important than arguing over what a f***ing calorie is.
      "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
        I'm bumping this up because it's a huge concern and Monsanto may be one of the biggest contributors to ill health in this country. It's certainly more important than arguing over what a f***ing calorie is.
        I agree with you!! Monsanto is pure evil. They are ALL about making billions at the expense of the human race and they are in the back pocket of our government. So we can't expect that they will do the right things to protect the consumer. The average person doesn't even know a thing about GMO's.

Comment

Originally posted by Forever Young View Post
          I agree with you!! Monsanto is pure evil. They are ALL about making billions at the expense of the human race and they are in the back pocket of our government. So we can't expect that they will do the right things to protect the consumer. The average person doesn't even know a thing about GMO's.
          The average person doesn't want to know. or even care. The info is out there, just a google click away~ Genetically modified food - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

Originally posted by Nady View Post
            I think GMO grains pretty much dominate the food supply now~ as far as I'm concerned, I'm not going to eat them anyway so it's nothing to get excited about. Other than that, maybe those that want to eat grains should look for organic, non-GMO sources.
            yes, but what about GM salmon, tomatoes, papaya, sugar beets, sweet potatoes, squash, sweet peppers, or the myriad other GM foods that have already been released or are in the pipeline? not only that, but the GM grains are having a negative effect on pollinators, which effects all crops requiring pollination.
            my primal journal:
            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Saoirse View Post
              yes, but what about GM salmon, tomatoes, papaya, sugar beets, sweet potatoes, squash, sweet peppers, or the myriad other GM foods that have already been released or are in the pipeline? not only that, but the GM grains are having a negative effect on pollinators, which effects all crops requiring pollination.
              Yeah, I'd say we are screwed.

Comment

that's about how i feel.
                my primal journal:
                http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

*edit*. Never mind, read the linked info.

Comment

From here: Monsanto Forced Out of UK by Activists Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

Monsanto Forced Out of UK by Activists

Anthony Gucciardi
                    Prisonplanet.com
                    Friday, February 3, 2012

It has been a truly rough week for Monsanto. After being slammed with a lawsuit by concerned farmers over theirGMO crops and thrown out by China, now the corrupt juggernaut is being thrown out of the United Kingdom. In an unprecedented announcement, Monsanto announced amajor departure from the UK due to “intense opposition” to genetically modified foods from activists.

As a result, the company is now closing its genetically modified wheat growing operation based in Cambridge. Monsanto officials even went on record stating that the move was a result of opposition against their own ‘Frankenstein Foods’.

Furthermore, the company is even looking to liquidate their GMOcrop facilities based in Germany, France, and the Czech Republic. Monsanto is making a run for it, and food good reason. Nations have been openly voicing their opposition against the biotech mammoth, with officials and individuals nationwide taking a stand. France is one of many nations to call out Monsanto’s crimes, citing health concernsamong the many reasons to reject Monsanto’s GMO crops.

Monsanto Thrown Out Across the Globe

India has also joined the conglomerate of nations directly opposed to the agricultural corruption brought upon by bloated biotechnology giant Monsanto, declaring legal action against the corporation for a crime dubbed ‘biopiracy‘. Peru even went as far as to pass a monumental 10 year ban on genetically modified foods.

It seems that the United States officials are among the few who still swear allegiance to Monsanto, even allowing their genetically engineered hormone RBGH to run rampant in the U.S. despite being banned in 27 nations. Shockingly, the synthetic hormone (RBGH) is actually created using molecules and DNA sequences that are a result of molecular cloning. Are U.S. officials truly convinced that Monsanto’s GMO crops are truly safe, or does it have to do with the fact that many Monsanto employees are at the heart of the U.S. government? Decide for yourself — click the image below to see the relationship between Monsanto and the U.S. government:
                    I tried to load this pic, but I get a message that it's too large:
                    http://naturalsociety.com/wp-content...government.jpg
                    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

I'd say the government is in Monsantos back pocket not the other way around. Killing America slowly.

Comment

From here: Monsanto’s relationship with the U.S. Government

Monsanto’s relationship with the U.S. Government
                        Art
                        In cables released by Wikileaks this past August, 2011, US diplomats asked the State Department for funding to send biotechnology experts to “target countries” for discussions with high-profile politicians and agricultural officials.

The “target countries” include African, Asian and South American countries where genetically modified (GM) agriculture has yet to gain a foothold. Even some European countries have been targeted, such as France, since it has been slow to adopt GM foods. Summarizing a French documentary, “The World According to Monsanto,” a 2008 cable reads:

“Jeffrey Smith, Director, Institute for Responsible Technology, who is interviewed says that a number of Bush Administration officers were close to Monsanto, either having obtained campaign contributions from the company or having worked directly for it: John Ashcroft, Secretary of Justice, received contributions from Monsanto when he was reelected, as did Tommy Thompson, Secretary of Health; Ann Veneman, Secretary of Agriculture, was director of Calgene which belonged to Monsanto; and Donald Rumsfeld, Secretary of Defense, was CEO of Searle, a Monsanto subsidiary; and Justice Clarence Thomas was a former lawyer for Monsanto.”

Embassy diplomats requested Washington provide “talking points” so officers could respond to the documentary on an “if asked” basis and emphasize “the positive role ag biotech can play in meeting world food needs.”

The close relationship between the US government and Monsanto has unfortunately continued into the Obama administration. President Obama nominated the former pro-biotech governor of Iowa, Tom Vilsack, as USDA Secretary; he nominated Michael Taylor, former Monsanto Vice President, as the FDA Deputy Commissioner for Foods; and he nominated Solicitor General Elena Kagan, who took Monsanto’s side against organic farmers in the Roundup Ready alfalfa case, to the Supreme Court.
                        Studies on the health effects of GM food consumption have often been damning. For example, a Russian study with rats fed GM foods showed a five-fold increase in mortality, lower birth weights, and the inability to reproduce. An additional study also suggests a link between GM and infertility. GM cotton has been linked to thousands of deaths among sheep, buffaloes, and other livestock, plus allergic reactions in their human caretakers.
                        Despite the evidence against GM foods, powerful corporations such as Monsanto have been able to keep such research out of the mainstream. As reported by Jeffrey Smith of the Huffington Post:

“Whenever these studies or reports surfaced, scientists should have charged in to conduct intense follow-up research. Instead, the funding–to find and expose the cause of the problem–often mysteriously dries up; scientists are transferred, threatened or fired, and the health risk link to GMOs is vehemently denied.

Take the Russian rat study [mentioned above], conducted by Irina Ermakova, a senior scientist at the Russian National Academy of Sciences. After we presented GMO health risk info at the EU Parliament in June 2007, she told me about the backlash that occurred after doing her study. Samples were stolen from her lab, documents were burnt on her desk, and her boss, under pressure from his boss, ordered her to cease all future research on GMOs. One of her colleagues tried to comfort her by saying, “Maybe GM soy will solve the human overpopulation problem.” She wasn’t comforted.”

The promotion of agricultural biotechnology in dozens of countries was referenced in U.S. embassy documents ranging from 2005 to 2010.
                        bolding is mine.

B*tch-lite

Comment

Interesting~ I think Monsanto will have a hard time selling it's grains~ it's a world market, and the world won't buy American grain. They (other countries) will speak louder than anything Americans might say~ money talks!

Comment

If the people in the UK can kick them out, so can we.

If you're not quite paranoid enough, read this: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...s-and-gmo.aspx

If you're not the type to go to the streets screaming, surely going to the fed website (Contact Elected Officials | USA.gov) and knocking out an email isn't that hard.

GMOs are only one thing Monsanto is working on. If you care about food, remember that "he who controls the seed, controls the food."

There is always a way to begin turning something around. Feeling defeated is just giving the power base what it wants.

B*tch-lite

Comment

Working...
                            X