Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whole30 for August 2012

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #91
    Jenn, I LOVE the book too. I told my mother in law about it in hopes that it would help her ADD and weight gain so she went out to buy it. The only problem is that she also bought a book called The Starch Solution and has decided to try this first. Kinda frustrating but hopefully she will listen to her body and make the right changes.

    On an up not I have been out weeding and mowing and watering my garden for about 2 hours in the 95 degree heat and am having a blast and have lots of energy to actually do it, usually I would be sitting on the couch in the ac reading a book at this time.

    Comment


    • #92
      Originally posted by JackieKessler View Post
      Hi, CaveCanem! We can be Whole30 buddies. You can do it! Rah!
      Yup. We can do it. Having buddies makes all the difference. What's. Your plan in case of pitfalls?

      Comment


      • #93
        Just ordered the book on Amazon "It Starts with Food."

        And I'm starting Whole 30 tomorrow!

        I haven't shopped yet, but have enough to get by for a day or two. We have our own chickens so there's always lots of eggs. And I have some frozen green beans and brussels sprouts, apples, nuts, canned salmon.

        Is anything with Canola Oil not okay for Whole 30? Trader Joe's roasted seaweeed is a staple of ours, but I'm pretty sure it has canola.

        Comment


        • #94
          Sounds like a great book, I might have to pick that up!

          I know in general the Primal community stays away from canola oil, I searched the site and saw this post from Mark Sisson regarding canola oil specifically. It sounds like it's mainly due to the major processing that goes on to produce it.
          Dear Mark: Canola Oil | Mark's Daily Apple
          -Chuck

          Comment


          • #95
            As far as Whole30 goes, vegetable oils are fine, I believe. Its more a Paleo/Primal thing to say they aren't cool.
            SW: 324.6 ----- CW: 310
            Primal Journal

            Comment


            • #96
              So it just kicked in for me that we are taking the Lord's supper at church tonight. My church does this once a month, but either way I figured I'd confess on here . Anyways I doubt the pencil eraser sized cracker and 1/4 oz of fruit juice will kill my Whole30 too badly
              -Chuck

              Comment


              • #97
                Originally posted by impala454 View Post
                So it just kicked in for me that we are taking the Lord's supper at church tonight. My church does this once a month, but either way I figured I'd confess on here . Anyways I doubt the pencil eraser sized cracker and 1/4 oz of fruit juice will kill my Whole30 too badly
                Probably another good reason for me to wait until the 6th - our church does it on the first Sunday of the month, and that would be the 5th.

                Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

                Comment


                • #98
                  Surely not Jaradel, come on! You'll trade five days of Whole30 because of one tiny little cracker?

                  People don't worry so much about perfection!
                  -Chuck

                  Comment


                  • #99
                    I'm pretty sure the whole30 advises agains Vegetable oils because they are bad fats. I would stick to olive and coconut oils (sure their are more but these are the 2 that I use) Whole30 is pretty much strict paleo.

                    Comment


                    • Oh and Chuck if you have a kindle I would advise getting the kindle version of the book because it is only $10.

                      Comment


                      • According to my Whole30 Success Guide, the only fats/ oils allowed are:
                        Best Monounsaturated fates (MUFAS):
                        -Avodaco
                        -Avocado Oil (for dressings)
                        -Hazelnut/ Filberts
                        -Macadamia Nuts
                        -Macadamia Oil (for dressing)
                        -Olives
                        -Olive Oils (for dressing)

                        Best Saturated Fats (SFA)
                        -Animal fats (for cooking)
                        -Clarified butter/ghee (for cooking)
                        -Coconut oil (for cooking)
                        -Coconut butter/ flakes/ milk

                        Occasional only: Polyunsaturated fats (PUFA)
                        -almonds/ almond butter
                        -brazil nuts
                        -cashews/ cashew butter
                        -pecans
                        -pistachio

                        Limit: Polyunsaturated fats (PUFA)
                        - flax seeds
                        - sesame seeds/ sesame oil
                        - pine nuts
                        - sunflower seeds/ sunflower butter
                        - walnuts / walnut butter

                        They say that cooking at high temperatures can damage oil. The best cooking oils are saturated - extremely stable and unlikely to form inflammatory oxidised fats. When using animals fats for cooking only use the highest quality grass fed or organic animals, especially with high heat.
                        The guide states to 'avoid' all vegetable oils (other than above) as they are pro-inflammatory and unstable.

                        Hope this helps!

                        I'm on day 2 (in Australia) and feeling sooooooooooooooo much better already!

                        Comment


                        • Today is going great, except for some small cravings. Here is what I had today
                          B: Black Iced Coffee
                          2 Eggs
                          3 Slices Of Bacon
                          L: Salad with homegrown lettuce, homegrown bellpepper, cucumber, turkey breast and a little bit of braggberry dressing
                          D:Grilled Chicken Legs
                          Beets from my garden
                          Sauteed beet greens with green beans and garlic. Used coconut oil instead of butter.

                          Spent about 2 hours gardening, mowing, picking weeds. Walked around the farmers market and am about to go for a walk with the kids around the neighborhood. Then after they go to bed I think I will do some kettlebell exercises.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by CaveCanem View Post
                            Yup. We can do it. Having buddies makes all the difference. What's. Your plan in case of pitfalls?
                            Well, my aim is to be Whole30, and default to primal 80/20, if needed. For example, this Saturday, my friend is cooking dinner. I think she's going to grill chicken, and tomorrow I'll ask if she'd mind having one piece of chicken with no marinade, just spices. If it's a big deal, then I'll just have the chicken w/marinade and scrape off what I can. I'm also going to have a larger lunch so that I most likely won't be that hungry later in the day. And later this month we have parties and barbeques and I also have a business trip. I'll do the best I can, and not sweat it if my Whole30 slips to primal 80/20. (I'm not building in an excuse; I'm being realistic.)

                            Today is day three for me, and I have to say, so far, so good. Water weight is dropping. And I've kept up my exercise -- I've actually increased it a bit, bumping up my 2.5 miles of walking to 5 miles, and CF from two times a week to three.

                            What about you? Do you have a contingency plan?
                            F, 44 years old, 111.8 lbs, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

                            **1st place sparring, AAU TKD regional qualifier, 2/15/15 - It's damn good to hit like a girl!**

                            **First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Primegal View Post
                              According to my Whole30 Success Guide, the only fats/ oils allowed are:
                              Best Monounsaturated fates (MUFAS):
                              -Avodaco
                              -Avocado Oil (for dressings)
                              -Hazelnut/ Filberts
                              -Macadamia Nuts
                              -Macadamia Oil (for dressing)
                              -Olives
                              -Olive Oils (for dressing)

                              Best Saturated Fats (SFA)
                              -Animal fats (for cooking)
                              -Clarified butter/ghee (for cooking)
                              -Coconut oil (for cooking)
                              -Coconut butter/ flakes/ milk

                              Occasional only: Polyunsaturated fats (PUFA)
                              -almonds/ almond butter
                              -brazil nuts
                              -cashews/ cashew butter
                              -pecans
                              -pistachio

                              Limit: Polyunsaturated fats (PUFA)
                              - flax seeds
                              - sesame seeds/ sesame oil
                              - pine nuts
                              - sunflower seeds/ sunflower butter
                              - walnuts / walnut butter

                              They say that cooking at high temperatures can damage oil. The best cooking oils are saturated - extremely stable and unlikely to form inflammatory oxidised fats. When using animals fats for cooking only use the highest quality grass fed or organic animals, especially with high heat.
                              The guide states to 'avoid' all vegetable oils (other than above) as they are pro-inflammatory and unstable.

                              Hope this helps!

                              I'm on day 2 (in Australia) and feeling sooooooooooooooo much better already!
                              Thanks! Just got back from Trader Joe's and I'm stocked up and ready to start tomorrow. I will stay clear of anything with veg or canola oil.

                              What is your preferred oil for cooking a fried egg? When I've tried bacon grease, my egg sticks to the pan. Same with butter. We usually use the spray canola from TJ's and it flips perfect every time, but that's out too for the next 30 days.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Minky View Post
                                Thanks! Just got back from Trader Joe's and I'm stocked up and ready to start tomorrow. I will stay clear of anything with veg or canola oil.

                                What is your preferred oil for cooking a fried egg? When I've tried bacon grease, my egg sticks to the pan. Same with butter. We usually use the spray canola from TJ's and it flips perfect every time, but that's out too for the next 30 days.
                                What kind of pan do you have?
                                SW: 324.6 ----- CW: 310
                                Primal Journal

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X