No announcement yet.

Whole30 for August 2012

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey all. Man, I have been slipping. I'd say I'm about 90% compliant most days. Friday I had some Wishbone Western dressing. Same with Saturday lunch. Had a couple pieces of candy at the parade and a Freezer Pop... oh, and 4 Girl Scout Thank You cookies... *sigh* Sunday I had a few little handfuls of Chocolate Rice Chex. I'm finding myself being drawn back to the SAD lifestyle, even though I'm fighting ferociously. Mainly, I'm drawn by things like cookies and cereal.

I need to rein it back in. Like now. Ok, done.

Friday I bought a watermelon. It sucked. Yesterday I bought a half watermelon. It's delicious. Yucky watermelon has been fed to the garbage disposal. Since buying the watermelon, I've lost a pound. FINALLY!
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• Cleocat-
      I'm a novice at this too, but reading the chapter on dairy in "It Starts With Food" convinced me that I had to ditch it in order to do Whole30 correctly and get the results. What about some coconut milk in your coffee?
      Starting Weight: 197.5
      Current Weight: 123
      Far healthier!

Comment

• Making ghee feels like such a waste right now. I'm on a really tight budget at the moment and I end up with less than half of what I started with when I make ghee from butter. I don't want to keep buying more butter to clarify (I haven't been able to find ghee locally, either), I don't want to buy coconut oil because I don't like the taste/smell, and I don't want to cook everything in olive oil, so I might start eating butter again.
        Depression Lies

Comment

• What are you "straining" your ghee through? I use cheese cloth folded so that there are like 6 layers to catch the stuff, after I pick most of it out with a spoon. I place the cheese cloth in a strainer to maintain stability. I find a cheese cloth absorbs less than paper towels. I now use it to strain my bacon grease now too b/c I'd lose a lot in the paper towels.

Comment

• Fabulous stick-with-it-ness, Jackie!!
            Last edited by KerryK; 08-20-2012, 08:06 AM. Reason: spelling ... Once again!
            SW: 243
            CW: 177
            Goal: Health

Comment

• Second the idea of coconut milk in the coffee. Or even blend it with some ghee for a poor-man's bulletproof coffee, maybe?

Jenn -- it sounds like you may feel like you're depriving yourself. Would it be crazy for a day to go non-primal and enjoy cereal, milk, pizza, ice cream, what have you, to get the cravings out and then get back on the wagon? Just a thought. Primal (not Whole30) is supposed to be a lifestyle, so there's no cheating - some days are more primal than others, that's all. Maybe what you need is one day of 100% non-primal to satisfy any lingering cravings.

Again, just a thought. This might be triggering instead of empowering, so do whatever works best for you.
              F, 44 years old, 111.8 lbs, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

**1st place sparring, AAU TKD regional qualifier, 2/15/15 - It's damn good to hit like a girl!**

**First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

Comment

• Ate an apple as a mid-morning snack, and now I'm off to CF for strength-training Monday. Rah!
                F, 44 years old, 111.8 lbs, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

**1st place sparring, AAU TKD regional qualifier, 2/15/15 - It's damn good to hit like a girl!**

**First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

Comment

• Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
                  What are you "straining" your ghee through? I use cheese cloth folded so that there are like 6 layers to catch the stuff, after I pick most of it out with a spoon. I place the cheese cloth in a strainer to maintain stability. I find a cheese cloth absorbs less than paper towels. I now use it to strain my bacon grease now too b/c I'd lose a lot in the paper towels.
                  True that I lost a lot more with paper towels than I did with cheese cloth (I probably need to fold it over more, I was still ended up with a lot of sediment even after spooning stuff off before pouring). I should probably just suck it up and make one more batch with a Kerrygold stick and cheese cloth (though I think I'm out of cheese cloth too haha).
                  Depression Lies

Comment

• quick side note on the cheese cloth, how in the world do you guys cut the stuff without getting a million little strands everywhere?
                    -Chuck

Comment

• Maybe I should give the coconut milk/coffee combo a second go. I figured I've made so many diet and lifestyle changes over the last year and a half, I'll probably do okay cream free for a month.
                      I use coffee filter to strain butter when making ghee.

Comment

• Originally posted by impala454 View Post
                        quick side note on the cheese cloth, how in the world do you guys cut the stuff without getting a million little strands everywhere?
                        Sharp kitchen shears.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Comment

• Originally posted by impala454 View Post
                          quick side note on the cheese cloth, how in the world do you guys cut the stuff without getting a million little strands everywhere?
                          I just use scissors! lol Seriously. Mine comes in a long sheet trifolded and wrapped around a sheet of like 6x8 cardboard. I unroll 2 widths of the cardboard, cut along the little fold that's there from wrapping it around the cardboard. I then fold it til it's about 3x3 in size. Since I pull 2 widths off, I fold that in half, then half again, which I think is all I do... I may fold it one more time... I don't know for sure right now. That's how many layers mine goes through.

Tash, you can find a pretty big package of the stuff at Walmart in the (of all places) sewing aisle. It's cheap there too... like $2-3.

Comment

• Jackie, you may be right. I've been doing/attempting Whole30's since the beginning of June. This month, it has annoyed me so much more than the other months. I'm just not as committed to it this time around - probably due to the lack of weight loss. I'm on day 22. I intend to stick it out til the end of the month just to say I did 30 days.

Comment

• It's always interesting to see how the water weight shoots up like crazy after a bad mess up day or two. But then it goes right back down... Pretty good day today. It's also interesting that the day after I had a crazy sugar/grain filled day I had a great workout. Blah!
                              -Chuck

Comment

• Originally posted by Primegal View Post
                                Still no smokes or cheats
                                Fantastic!!

I'm so happy to (almost) be in the home stretch. I don't have much trouble staying whole30 during the work week, but social events and weekends are pretty tough. I've had a few minor slips here and there but all in all I'm pleased with how it's going. I've more or less come to terms with my dairy intolerance, and I think I've discovered that broccoli and I don't get along well. I should probably explore other veggies in the broccoli family to see if they likewise cause problems.

Aside from food, I'm feeling really good physically. I've had enough energy to get in some walks and sprints. I also ordered You Are Your Own Gym and I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of progress I can make just doing some bodyweight exercises at home. I'd like to join CrossFit, but I balked at the expense and the limited number of group workout times offered at the local CrossFit gym. I don't want to get cut, per se, but I'm at the point where I'd like to focus on leaning out and adding a little muscle.
                                Primal Journal - Zinnia

Comment

Working...
                                X