Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whole30 for August 2012

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    I'm looking at the possibility of buying a loaf of Paleo bread for my son. It's a step in the right direction, anyway.
    Be warned: It will not taste anything close to wheat-/grain-based bread.
    F, 44 years old, 111.8 lbs, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

    **1st place sparring, AAU TKD regional qualifier, 2/15/15 - It's damn good to hit like a girl!**

    **First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

    Comment


    • Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
      I'm looking at the possibility of buying a loaf of Paleo bread for my son. It's a step in the right direction, anyway.
      Looked into this, pondered it, meditated the bread... decided that it falls into the SWYPO category. Probably not a good idea for W30, but each of us are doing our own version of this. I think I'd rather just splurge on a nice chewy crusty sourdough, if I'm going to have anything bready. And not for at least another 24 days.
      Not really missing anything except wine and chocolate, so those will be the first things I work back in.
      “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

      Comment


      • Here's the Crossfit calorie counter!

        Calories Burned Calculator for Crossfit at FitClick
        “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

        Comment


        • Yeah I'd rather splurge on a nice chewy porter (in 24 days of course :P)

          Got home from the meat market, $89 later I've got 20 lbs of ground chuck (it was on sale ), 5 lbs of ribeyes, and 2 lbs of bacon!
          -Chuck

          Comment


          • Originally posted by SophieScreams View Post
            Here's the Crossfit calorie counter!

            Calories Burned Calculator for Crossfit at FitClick
            Cool! Thanks. Now I just have to...find everything. :P
            F, 44 years old, 111.8 lbs, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

            **1st place sparring, AAU TKD regional qualifier, 2/15/15 - It's damn good to hit like a girl!**

            **First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

            Comment


            • Tonight was the night I was supposed to go to a concert with my boyfriend, but we broke up a few weeks ago. What I'd really like to do is work through this with a quart of rocky road ice cream. What I'm going to do instead is blend up some coconut milk, strawberries, and ice. I'm sure it's not good to make emotional-eating substitutions, but I really want a little treat right now.
              Primal Journal - Zinnia

              Comment


              • Originally posted by zinnia View Post
                Tonight was the night I was supposed to go to a concert with my boyfriend, but we broke up a few weeks ago. What I'd really like to do is work through this with a quart of rocky road ice cream. What I'm going to do instead is blend up some coconut milk, strawberries, and ice. I'm sure it's not good to make emotional-eating substitutions, but I really want a little treat right now.
                Zinnia, that paleo comfort food sounds AWESOME. Sorry about the breakup. Bet the concert sucked anyway.
                F, 44 years old, 111.8 lbs, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

                **1st place sparring, AAU TKD regional qualifier, 2/15/15 - It's damn good to hit like a girl!**

                **First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

                Comment


                • Originally posted by impala454 View Post
                  Got home from the meat market, $89 later I've got 20 lbs of ground chuck (it was on sale ), 5 lbs of ribeyes, and 2 lbs of bacon!
                  Successful hunt!
                  “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by JackieKessler View Post
                    Cool! Thanks. Now I just have to...find everything. :P
                    Yeah, they made it a little difficult to navigate and piece together.
                    "Let's see... I ran with a 14# ball for three 200m runs, but walked with the 16 for 2.8 and I think ran the rest, I snatched for 6.5 minutes and did burpees for 4.8 minutes..."

                    I think not.
                    “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by impala454 View Post
                      I may give the "fat bread" recipe (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread63644.html) a try. I know Whole30 says no "paleoifying" the bad stuff like bread, but I can't possibly see how this could be bad for Whole30. It's eggs, macadamia nuts, coconut, lemon juice, baking soda, and salt. Any thoughts?
                      This *looks* really good to me...

                      My system isn't doing well with nuts so I am trying tokeep them to a minimum... but if they work for you then why not? Would love to hear how it tastes please :-)

                      The following recipe is for pumpkin paleo bread and sounds sooo good. They suggest serving with avocado.. or macadamia nut butter...

                      Paleo Pumpkin Bread : The Healthy Chef – Teresa Cutter

                      I've tried lots of this chef's recipes and everything has been awsome. Perhaps leave out or substitute the honey though ;-)

                      Comment


                      • I made the Slow-Cooked Coconut Ginger Pork for dinner and OMG is was amazing!!! I did tweak it a little as some of the reviewers said it was a little bland. This is how I made mine.

                        I used 4lbs of Pork shoulder
                        1 1/2 tsp of coriander
                        1 1/2 tsp cumin
                        2 tsp salt
                        1/2 tsp pepper..not a fan of black pepper
                        7 or 8 cloves of garlic..I just cut them in half
                        3-4 inches of ginger
                        1 whole onion I cut up into smaller pieces
                        3/4 of the can of Coconut milk

                        Did everything else the same. I decided to use the left over coconut milk as a garnish over the cooked pork at it was perfect. Steamed up a sweet potato and dinner was served. I think I might add the sweet potato into the slow cooker next time as I really enjoyed the flavors. Can't hardly wait for tomorrow so I can eat it again.

                        Did my 2 mile walk and 12 mins of sprints today and I'm feeling awesome!!!

                        Comment


                        • Is coriander a rare spice or something? Could not find it at my local Stop & Shop.

                          Yesterday was 100% compliant. We're moving towards 1/2 way through this challenge, feeling really good about it! I've had some passing thoughts about weighing myself at work (there's a scale in the supply closet), just out of curiosity, but I've resisted. Since I want to gain weight in muscle, I know looking at the scale won't make me feel any better. I wonder how long, at my current rate of exercise, it would take me to gain 5 lbs of muscle?
                          Depression Lies

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by islandwahine View Post
                            I made the Slow-Cooked Coconut Ginger Pork for dinner and OMG is was amazing!!! I did tweak it a little as some of the reviewers said it was a little bland. This is how I made mine.

                            I used 4lbs of Pork shoulder
                            1 1/2 tsp of coriander
                            1 1/2 tsp cumin
                            2 tsp salt
                            1/2 tsp pepper..not a fan of black pepper
                            7 or 8 cloves of garlic..I just cut them in half
                            3-4 inches of ginger
                            1 whole onion I cut up into smaller pieces
                            3/4 of the can of Coconut milk

                            Did everything else the same. I decided to use the left over coconut milk as a garnish over the cooked pork at it was perfect. Steamed up a sweet potato and dinner was served. I think I might add the sweet potato into the slow cooker next time as I really enjoyed the flavors. Can't hardly wait for tomorrow so I can eat it again.

                            Did my 2 mile walk and 12 mins of sprints today and I'm feeling awesome!!!
                            Thanks for the tweaked recipe! I'm making this tomorrow. Already have the pork and the ginger root. Ta!

                            And 12 minutes of sprints? You're amazing.
                            F, 44 years old, 111.8 lbs, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

                            **1st place sparring, AAU TKD regional qualifier, 2/15/15 - It's damn good to hit like a girl!**

                            **First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

                            Comment


                            • Wow that recipe does look awesome. Even with the 25 lbs of beef I just bought I may have to go get some pork now just to try that!

                              Nameless don't weigh if you don't have to! As I said before that's the one part I'm "cheating" on. I have taken my weight data for like seven years and am a huge nerd when it comes to tracking data. If this helps you any, here's how mine has gone so far (each day since August 1st): 245.6, 243.3, 240.3, 239.5, 237.5, 236.6, 236.8, 236.6, 236.4. So as we all know, you drop some water weight when you start, and that's exactly what this has been I'm sure (my pants fit hasn't changed much). Now roughly three more weeks of seeing the effects of the Whole30 after the water loss. My workouts have been a bit weak lately so I think I'll ramp them up a bit.
                              -Chuck

                              Comment


                              • For the record, b/c it seems there some confusion based on comments, I would not be getting the Paleo bread for myself (SWYPO would apply in this situation) but rather I'd be getting it for my 5 yo son who I am going to start transitioning into a more Paleo diet to control his moods and behavior. I have a very sweet, very smart, funny little man who can be an absolute angel, but he's being over shadowed probably 75% of the time by this rotten, nasty, misbehaving little devil who says some really mean things or talks back incessantly or just blatently disregards any show of authority. I've moved past the "Oh it's just a phase. He's 5. 5 yo boys are supposed to be defiant" denial and starting to look at his diet (previous to March, when I started primal, I believed it was just a phase and I just needed to find his "currency" so I could properly discipline him). Since finding Paleo/Primal and learning about hormones and how they affect the mind and behavior, I've decided to start changing his diet to be more in-line with mine and see how that affects his behavior. I know it'll improve it by miles, I just have to find a way to transition him without a ton of struggle or I'll give up. Paleo bread, I think, will help with that transition, even if it doesn't really taste like bread... or I'll find another gluten free bread source.

                                Initially, I plan to remove gluten and preservatives from his diet. Then I'll work on phasing sugar out.
                                Primal since March 5, 2012
                                SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)



                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X