Whole30 for August 2012

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Primegal View Post
    Just in case anyone is looking for extra motivation today, and missed the many blog posts & articles out there:

Alzheimer's is really just 'type-3' diabetes, new research shows

This is another really good reason to slay my sugar dragon and keep away from a high carb, low fat diet!!!
    WHOA - what?? Must read!!! **dashes off to read**
    F, 44 years old, 111.8 lbs, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

**1st place sparring, AAU TKD regional qualifier, 2/15/15 - It's damn good to hit like a girl!**

**First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

Comment

• Primegal, HOLY CATS. Thank you so much for that link! Alzheimer's is a huge, huge fear of mine. It's one one side of my family and dementia is on the other. That article was extremely encouraging. I just sent it to two of my relatives.

**1st place sparring, AAU TKD regional qualifier, 2/15/15 - It's damn good to hit like a girl!**

Comment

• Hi all,

I'm having trouble even staying Primal while on vacation. I will restart my W30 when I get home. It is cool to read about everyone's success so far.
        Primal since 9/24/2010
        "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
        MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• So, ladies...for the first time in months, my TOM does not include crushing cramps! I'm rather stunned. Now, I previously attempted Whole30 in June, and that was very much not the case. I actually had the worst cramps I could remember. July's TOM wasn't much better -- I wasn't Whole30 in July, was only reducing/avoiding wheat. But in July, I slowly bumped up my exercise* and began taking a cocktail of vitamins, including magnesium.

I have no idea if it's the combination of magnesium, exercise and Whole30, one of those things in particular, none of the above, or what. But I'm so relieved that I could cry. (Good cry!)

* Exercise: Walking daily 2.5 - 5 miles, CF on M W F, taekwondo on T Th S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
            Hi all,

I'm having trouble even staying Primal while on vacation. I will restart my W30 when I get home. It is cool to read about everyone's success so far.
            Yeah, vacation can be a beast, and not the good roast beast sort. Enjoy your vacation! Whole30 will be here when you return.

Comment

• Originally posted by JackieKessler View Post
              So, ladies...for the first time in months, my TOM does not include crushing cramps! I'm rather stunned. Now, I previously attempted Whole30 in June, and that was very much not the case. I actually had the worst cramps I could remember. July's TOM wasn't much better -- I wasn't Whole30 in July, was only reducing/avoiding wheat. But in July, I slowly bumped up my exercise* and began taking a cocktail of vitamins, including magnesium.

I have no idea if it's the combination of magnesium, exercise and Whole30, one of those things in particular, none of the above, or what. But I'm so relieved that I could cry. (Good cry!)

* Exercise: Walking daily 2.5 - 5 miles, CF on M W F, taekwondo on T Th S.
              So happy for you!! Well done on such huge changes!!
              Sounds like this W30 is working out much better than your last. Do you think it is a bit less of a shock to the system (as you were primal to start with)?
              Won't go into too much detail (sorry men)... but when I stick to primal/W30 I have had regular cycles for the first time in my life.. & like you minimal cramps. I get terrible cramps if my diet is full of crap.. Also no bloating/ fluid retention vs lots of this when diet is crap... Also very lite.. TMI probably but just wanted to say yayee!! Congrats!!

Comment

• I'm in PMS-week and so far, things seem pretty good. I'm mostly keeping an eye on moods, but physically, I seem to be doing okay.

Yesterday was 100% compliant. I am having a really hard time with this yeast overgrowth and feeling very defeated. All this fruit I've been eating has been great for my energy, but it's feeding the yeast. I need to do a sugar detox, or 2-3 weeks of no carbs, and I really don't want to.

Anyone have a good/simple recipe for Paleo Indian curry (without starches)? I'll probably make it pretty mild, I don't do too well with spicy stuff. Also not sure what to serve it with. I think I could make cauliflower rice with my crappy Ninja blender, but I'm not sure Boyfriend will like it.
                Depression Lies

Comment

• I get Golden Sun brand from our local grocer and the ingredients include ONLY coconut cream and water. No thickeners or other gross stuff.
                  Primal since March 5, 2012
                  SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• Day9 here... This W30 seems like it's going sooooo slowly this time. Not sure why.

Last night I had more coconut cream with frozen strawberries. I discovered the taste sensation I was experiencing was the frozen strawberries. They taste funny compared to fresh. Next time I'll make it with fresh strawberries, and maybe some pineapple. Might do it tonight, in fact.

Scale is finally moving. Down like half a pound to 188.something. Normally, I only pay attention to the first 3 numbers since anything after the point is pretty unimportant, unless you round up or down... I look at the first 3 numbers and call it good. So, that means I finally experienced my first pound lost on this whole30, after 9 freaking days. *sigh* Oh well... W30 isn't supposed to be about weight loss right? Even though it's a tool in my weight loss arsenal and that's the ONLY reason I do W30's... Maybe once I start my new workout routine, things will change faster.

Comment

• Hey how's everyone doing? I'm a week in now and feeling great, sleeping patterns back to normal (in bed by 10, up by 6:30), and down about 7 lbs (though much of it is probably water). According to my trusty spreadsheet I've averaged about 1833 calories, 115 fat, 122 protein, and 74 carbs so far this month. Perhaps a tad low on calories and high on carbs but not too shabby so far (last month was WAY worse).

Pebbles I hear ya on vacations, I went to Hawaii for a week in June and that's what completely derailed me in the first place. I ate pretty primal the first couple of days and even lost weight (due to hiking), but once I got settled in and started in with the beer and awesome Hawaiian food I was screwed. Not to mention sleeping pattern way off when I got back, if for no other reason than the time change and overnight flight.
                      -Chuck

Comment

• Thanks for the article on Alzheimer's. I posted it on Facebook. I like that it refers to Alzheimer's as a form of diabetes. That should grab attention since most people think you either get or don't get Alzheimer's rather than it being a symptom of an unhealthy body.

Comment

• Day 5 here. Noticing some great changes to my energy levels, though I've been at work constantly and haven't been able to catch a Crossfit class. Got some sprints in on Sunday, when the weather decided to cool off to a balmy 103. I'm headed to the noon class shortly, and it's going to be an absolute killer WOD, so the W30 is getting put to the test!

Sleeps been good, but I didn't get to bed until 1:30am(!), and for some reason my alarm went off at 5:30, even though I didn't set it. Those Philips sundown clocks have minds of their own.

I tried to go back to sleep, but diarrhea kept me up. That's been the only thing... I'm don't usually have *that* problem. Maybe it's the cucumber-pineapple gazpacho, maybe the beets and sauerkraut, maybe the EVCO, I dunno. I never had problems with those things before.

I'm going to chime in on the TOM topic... I've experienced no fatigue, cramps(menstrual), moodiness, breast tenderness, minimal bloating. I'm giving the W30 credit for it. To be fair, I really cleaned my diet up a few days before starting, save the alcohol. Just some breakouts and a little bloating, which is going down.

All-in-all, I'm absolutely enjoying this paleo reset program. My mind isn't turning to old comfort foods, and non-paleo foods are looking mighty gross right now. Even french fries. Someone brought in a tray of cupcakes frosted in red glitter icing, my first thought was "oooo pretty shiny," then "those don't even look like food." And they smelled weird, like Crisco or something plastic-y. Of course they were gone in 20 minutes flat, but I had no part in it.

I'm still on a mission to find acceptable bacon, wish me luck!
                          “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

Comment

• Wellness meats has a Whole30 approved meat... way out of my budget though, so unacceptable bacon it shall be for our family...

Comment

• Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
                              Wellness meats has a Whole30 approved meat... way out of my budget though, so unacceptable bacon it shall be for our family...
                              I saw the price for the Wellness brand as well, and I'm not biting it either. I'm checking my small, local natural meat markets. I think the bacon I sometimes buy from one is sugar-free, since it tastes pretty plain. Someone posted a link to making your own bacon, maybe we're due for a re-post?
                              Has anyone else found a national brand that fits the program?
                              “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

Comment

• Oh... ***pulling out horn to toot for self***

I kicked today's WOD in the face!

Comment

Working...
                                X