No announcement yet.

Olympics - The Fit, the Fat and the Forties

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sort of surprised how chunky the female swimmers and divers looked. Not all of them, but some of them. I haven't been watching much of the olympics but I glanced at it last night.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaradel View Post
      I know I've said this somewhere else, that I felt like I was seeing the world with new eyes once I started eating Primal.
      YES.

And it's both utterly stunning and quite upsetting to see how normal it is for people to be obese. These days, seeing adults (AND TEENAGERS!!!) who are lean is rare. (And not in a steak sort of way!)
      F, 44 years old, 111.8 lbs, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

**1st place sparring, AAU TKD regional qualifier, 2/15/15 - It's damn good to hit like a girl!**

**First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
        I'm sort of surprised how chunky the female swimmers and divers looked. Not all of them, but some of them. I haven't been watching much of the olympics but I glanced at it last night.
        Remember the camera adds 10 pounds. Who knows how much the HD camera adds. The suits are very form fitting also. Although I haven't seen too much fat on the women's sand volleyball courts. My new favorite Olympic "sport".
        Last edited by pace2race; 07-30-2012, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JackieKessler View Post
          YES.

And it's both utterly stunning and quite upsetting to see how normal it is for people to be obese. These days, seeing adults (AND TEENAGERS!!!) who are lean is rare. (And not in a steak sort of way!)
          In Liverpool, UK I would say it seems abut 50% overweight and 50% normal weight here. I can remember though years ago we would comment on all the overweight Americans in comparison to the UK and now we are nearly as bad.
          I find it quite disturbing, I don't know why I haven't noticed before. I cant help now but mentally note each person I see as to whether the are overweight or not. It is my new pre-occupation.
          I could cry when I see them buying 0% yogurts and low fat this and that. I feel like saying something but you know you cant.
          I was talking to some bloke in the gym during circuit training and he was commenting on how fit I was (wayhay) I told him about paleo and his eyes glazed over and he told me he was going to drink low fat milk shakes for a month to lose weight quickly.

Comment

Interesting write-up re:swimmers and body fat

Sportscience Compeat: Swimmers: Body fat mystery!

and here

Swimmers - Is fatter faster?

Comment

Most people are thin and beautiful in Santa Barbara. It's more of a shock for me to see what comes off a tourist bus.
              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Dark chocolate and wine are both downfalls for me, and to some extent so is cheese.
                I see no "downfall" in any of those if consumed in moderation...in fact, I think the health benefits of the chocolate and wine (if red?) far exceed any negative impacts. I consume regularly and have had no issues continuing to lose/maintain weight. Cheese...yeah...gotta watch that!

Comment

too bad not every athlete can grow old like Mark Sisson... or can they?

Comment

Originally posted by GrantT View Post
                    I see no "downfall" in any of those if consumed in moderation...in fact, I think the health benefits of the chocolate and wine (if red?) far exceed any negative impacts. I consume regularly and have had no issues continuing to lose/maintain weight. Cheese...yeah...gotta watch that!
                    As a woman in her 40's eating dark chocolate and drinking wine make me increase weight.I keep thinking I am fine having a square ot two, but the scales won't move, apart from slightly upwards.

I haven't eaten chocolate for a couple of days so will be interested to see if I lose weight over the next couple of weeks. Just hope I can keep it up.

Comment

Most people are thin and beautiful in Santa Barbara. It's more of a shock for me to see what comes off a tourist bus.
                      Just had to google where Santa Barbara is. It look a lovely place to live. Must be one of the few places where there are a high proportion of slim people, wonder what the secret is.

Comment

Originally posted by JackieKessler View Post
                        YES.

What makes me saddest is seeing the number of younger children, preschool and grade school, who are already overweight. And I say this as a mom still trying to get her kids to go fully Primal, so I know it's not as easy as it looks.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Comment

Eat some fat, it will satisfy your hunger and keep you full. I made some chicken broth with chicken feet and the end product was a delicious gelatin. Kept me full for 4 hours.

Comment

I know! I was watching the ceremonies and there were a ton of overweight people, many of them must've been shooters or archers, although there was one girl who was pretty overweight but plays water polo, I guess she makes it work somehow : /

Comment

On Nightline last night~

Is a Gluten-Free Diet Bad for You? | Video - ABC News

Comment

Originally posted by noodletoy View Post
                                i live in a relatively slim city, but we are inundated with tourists. before they even open their mouths to expose their accents, i can tell the people who are not from here because they are utterly enormous.

the only exception is marathon weekend!
                                I'm sorry....Boston is a slim city? Wow....you were horribly misrepresented by a few fellas I went to college with then.

Comment

Working...
                                X