Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UK members: where do you get your bacon?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK members: where do you get your bacon?

Thinking I was doing the right thing, I bought the only organic bacon I could find: cured, smokeless bacon by Dutchy in Waitrose. Of course I forgot that all things cured contain Nitrites with Dutchy bacon being no exception.... so Where should I go instead?

Hi , I did try curing my own but its a bit of a pain. Ive had to settle for Dry cured strreaky from Lidl. Its got some nitrites though as well as sea salt and brown sugar for the cure which is what I was using to do my own.If you sort through you can find some very fatty streaky which is very nice. There are plenty of recipes out there to make your own. I think mine was from River cottage.

Comment

Sainsbury - streaky, which is from a farmer that happens to be local to me. Or, farm shop. Yorkshire does pigs - pigs make bacon.
      Paul
      http://www.pjgh.co.uk
      http://www.livingintheiceage.co.uk

"... needs more fish!"

Comment

Sainsburys is really good for organic food. I also get the normal organic bacon from Waitrose if I don't have enough from the farmers markets.

Farmers markets are your best bet though. Do a search of your local area.
        2010 - 5,11 and 101KG

2012 - 5,11 and 77KG

Train hard, eat well and love life

Comment

I just buy normal shop bacon, can't afford anything better right now, so don't eat a massive amount. But give me a couple of years and I'll be raising my own bacon, so you can buy a share of a pig
          You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Comment

From an online place called Stilton Butchers. They do it in bulk (5lb), dry cure bacon for £12.95. There is postage but I order other meat from there as well (ie, steak, chicken breasts). They do bulk buys for some stuff.

Their minted lamb steaks are lovely, and only £9 for 10!

Comment

Originally posted by The_Undead_Pixie View Post
              From an online place called Stilton Butchers.
              Is their meat organic/grass fed/whatever?
              Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Comment

I just normally buy bacon from Tesco, but i have ordered some nitrate free stuff from Laverstoke Park as a treat, it's due to be delivered Friday!!

Buy Organic Meat Online, Beef, Pork, Lamb, Chicken - Organic Meat & Food - Laverstoke Park Farm | Laverstoke Park Farm

Comment

I buy from my local butcher, who does their own dry-cure from local pigs - not organic, sadly, but very good, and much the same price as the bacon from Tesco. If for any reason they don't have any available, then I will just buy from Tesco as a stand-in.

Comment

I highly recommend these guys: http://moonsgreen.co.uk/

I know the family personally and their products are marvelous. If you happen to be heading to Greenwich Park for the Olympics, check out their "Cheeky Chorizo Sandwhich" booth.

Comment

You get at least a couple hundred times more nitrates in your diet just by salivating (producing saliva) than you could on an all cured meats diet. Don't buy into the nitrate free hype, especially when it's used to label something that contains something like celery salt which often times will actually add more nitrates into the mix than your standard bacon.
                      "You can demonstrate the purpose and limits of human digestion with a simple experiment: eat a steak with some whole corn kernels, and see what comes out the other end. It won’t be the steak."
                      -J.Stanton

Comment

great info all, thanks!

Alex, I thought Mark didnt recommend cold cuts because of the nitrate levels?

From an online place called Stilton Butchers. They do it in bulk (5lb), dry cure bacon for £12.95. There is postage but I order other meat from there as well (ie, steak, chicken breasts). They do bulk buys for some stuff.

Their minted lamb steaks are lovely, and only £9 for 10!
                        Wow, sounds worth a try!

Comment

Originally posted by Nigel View Post
                          Is their meat organic/grass fed/whatever?
                          Sorry for the delay in replying!

I bought some steak from them that was labelled grass fed so I suppose some of their stuff is. I assume that because they will be mainly sourcing from the UK they will be grass fed grain finished. Maybe I should check!!

Comment

I assume that because they will be mainly sourcing from the UK they will be grass fed grain finished. Maybe I should check!!
                            I now understand that UK animals are grass fed unless there's a problem with drought, deep snow or some other reason they would have to feed the animals expensive fodder.
                            Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Comment

Working...
                            X