Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you make the bulk of your meal veggies?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How do you make the bulk of your meal veggies?

    I feel better, and primal "wisdom" states, that the bulk of your diet should be vegetables. A salad or a veggie-filled, meat sparing soup for lunch is easy, but what do you do for dinner? I have been making a bulk of cooked greens and topping it with a couple ounces of meat on top, or on the side. What does your dinner plate look like?

  • #2
    a giant salad on half the plate, broccoli and spinach, squash and tomatoes, sweet potato and green beans
    beautiful
    yeah you are

    Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
    lol

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post
      a giant salad on half the plate, broccoli and spinach, squash and tomatoes, sweet potato and green beans
      That sounds great, right about NOW!!

      Comment


      • #4
        I make a salad using a large handful of mixed greens, lettuce, romaine, spinach etc. Add grated carrot or beetroot, diced capsicum, cucumber. Toss all together, place on plate and decorate with slices of tomato and avocado. Add dressing of choice.

        For hot vegetables I steam, bake or microwave root vegetables, onion, cauliflower, turnip, rutabagas, carrot, pumpkin or sweet potato. I cook separately as they don't take as long broccoli, cabbage, zucchini. I usually chose 5-7 different vegetables for a meal.

        Lightly cook in a frypan some onion, grated carrot, and small pieces of cauliflower and broccoli. Whisk together 3-5 eggs depending on appetite and pour over. When bottom is set I add slices of tomato and grated cheese (cheese is optional), and place under the grill til the top is set and cheese melted.
        Original Goal: To lose weight. Achieved in March 2010
        Long Term Goals: To continue using Primal guidlines to improve fitness and health. To share the Primal message.

        The key to successful aging is to pay as little attention to it as possible - Judith Regan

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by kahiba View Post
          I make a salad using a large handful of mixed greens, lettuce, romaine, spinach etc. Add grated carrot or beetroot, diced capsicum, cucumber. Toss all together, place on plate and decorate with slices of tomato and avocado. Add dressing of choice.

          For hot vegetables I steam, bake or microwave root vegetables, onion, cauliflower, turnip, rutabagas, carrot, pumpkin or sweet potato. I cook separately as they don't take as long broccoli, cabbage, zucchini. I usually chose 5-7 different vegetables for a meal.

          Lightly cook in a frypan some onion, grated carrot, and small pieces of cauliflower and broccoli. Whisk together 3-5 eggs depending on appetite and pour over. When bottom is set I add slices of tomato and grated cheese (cheese is optional), and place under the grill til the top is set and cheese melted.
          I like your baked frittata idea! I think it's great because you can incorporate so many different spices.

          Comment


          • #6
            There will typically be a pile of steamed green veggies, a quarter to half a sweet potato, a half sliced tomato and/or beet and/or avocado (my version of salad ha ha!)
            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

            Comment


            • #7
              make two vegetable portions with your dinner, and take big portions of each.

              some ideas:
              greens (cooked in various ways)
              stirfry of mixed veg
              zucchini and onion sauteed with butter, S&P
              crudites
              salad
              mashed cauliflower
              sweet potatoes, fries or baked and mashed
              avocado (my favorite breakfast is sausage mixed with an avocado and salsa)
              fajita mix- bell peppers, onions
              spaghetti squash
              sauteed brussel sprouts with bits of bacon
              zucchini boats filled with chorizo sausage, carmelized onions, and marinara
              my primal journal:
              http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

              Comment


              • #8
                I like wilted spinach. I'm not sure if wilted is the right word, maybe it's sauteed? I dunno. Anyhow... I melt some butter in a frying pan and cook a ton of spinach in it (like, enough to fill a punch bowl). Once it's cooked it only takes up about half of my dinner plate.

                Throw a slab of salmon or a haddock filet next to it and I'm good to go.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Ok, tonite was a quickie dinner as I skipped lunch , went for a hike & bike ride in the scorching sun, swam my laps earlier than usual this morning before a smallish breakfast, man I was HUNGRY.

                  1/2 lb of Georgia wild prawns, soaked in lemon juice & fresh cut thyme & basil. Just placed them in boiled water that I took off the stove, to soak in the heat while I made the BAS, with lots veggies, good portion of parmesan grated cheese I bought @ TJ's & extra heirloom 'mater from the garden. Oh yeah, small portion of last night's stewed tomatoes & onions w/ Italian seasonings. Dessert was a green mango w/ sea salt & cayenne powder mixed together & sprinkled over the slices of mango. Ate the whole thing.
                  "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
                  "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
                  "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Betorq View Post
                    Ok, tonite was a quickie dinner as I skipped lunch , went for a hike & bike ride in the scorching sun, swam my laps earlier than usual this morning before a smallish breakfast, man I was HUNGRY.

                    1/2 lb of Georgia wild prawns, soaked in lemon juice & fresh cut thyme & basil. Just placed them in boiled water that I took off the stove, to soak in the heat while I made the BAS, with lots of parmesan grated cheese I bought @ TJ's & extra heirloom 'mater from the garden. Oh yeah, small portion of last night's stewed tomatoes & onions w/ Italian seasonings. Dessert was a green mango w/ sea salt & cayenne powder mixed together & sprinkled over the slices of mango. Ate the whole thing.
                    Can I dine with you? DAMN!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Rasputina View Post
                      Can I dine with you? DAMN!
                      Sure, come on over...How long would it take you to walk, bike or drive to North Atlanta, just off 1-85?
                      Tomorrow night ought to be another grand feast...
                      "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
                      "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
                      "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        It would take, roughly, nine hours to drive? Come to Missouri!

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X