Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fage 0% greek yogurt question. Also a question about stevia.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fage 0% greek yogurt question. Also a question about stevia.

Does fage 0% have the same nutritional profile as the varieties with more fat? The only sotres around me who carry fage only do so in the 0% and I want to eat more yogurt but ive read that taking the fat out of such things makes them worse for you than some non-primal things.

and does stevia raise insulin levels? if im intermittent fasting and a put a little lemon juice and a stevia packet, just stevia and vegetable inulin, would that screw things up?

1. From everything I've read, full-fat dairy would be better. I'm annoyed with that, because I LOVE Fage Greek yogurt, but no one anywhere around me carries anything but the 0% either. I did find full-fat Greek Gods yogurt at one grocery store, which isn't quite as good but close enough. I wonder if your grocery store would carry it if you asked them to.

2. If I remember correctly, stevia doesn't spike your insulin like other sugars, but I think there is somewhat of an insulin response to anything that tastes sweet. I'm not sure about that though. For me personally, I wouldn't consume anything that tastes sweet during a fast, but you might have different results. Try it. If you crash, then you know the answer.

Comment

I was surprised to find fage full fat at my whole foods, nestled in there looking just like the low and fat free versions. Have you tried looking at your health foods store? Otherwise, I would avoid it personally...

With the stevia, perhaps a liquid is better during fasting so you don't get that inulin, but that's just my instinct.
      Happy Wifey and NEW MOM!
      Pre-preg weight: 130
      Current: 145 (eek!)
      Goal: ??? <-- whatever it takes to get rid of this tire!
      Started Primal in May '12.
      My Blog
      Join the Revolution!

Comment

The last time I checked, the Fage website didn't show full-fat products, just the 0 and 2%. I'd be very stoked if there were high-fat plain Fage.
        F, 44 years old, 111.8 lbs, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

**1st place sparring, AAU TKD regional qualifier, 2/15/15 - It's damn good to hit like a girl!**

**First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

Comment

I buy it all the time. It's called Fage Total. If my store is out of Total I buy a regular full fat yoghurt like Dannon, the I take a piece of cheesecloth and a strainer and dump in the yoghurt. In a few hours you have a bowl of whey and a strainer full of Greek style yoghurt.

Comment

Originally posted by JackieKessler View Post
            The last time I checked, the Fage website didn't show full-fat products, just the 0 and 2%. I'd be very stoked if there were high-fat plain Fage.
            There is a 5% but I don't know if that's full far because traditional greek yogurt has 10%
            well then

Comment

Yes, the Fage full-fat version is called FAGE Total Greek Yogurt (google it!). It is so delicious. They carry it at my local Whole Foods, but that's the only place I've found it. People have suggested asking your grocery's customer service to add it to their stock, and if enough people ask, they will. I've never tried this, though.
              Check out this NPR article on how Dannon, Yoplait, etc. are essentially faking their greek yogurt. They are putting additives in regular yogurt to make it thicker. Ugh.
              High-Tech Shortcut To Greek Yogurt Leaves Purists Fuming : The Salt : NPR

Comment

From the reading, one of the reasons Mark recommends full fat is that often protein and fat go down and carbs go up in in these "diet" 0% fat products. I'm looking online and while I can't find any one site that compares equal sizes, it doesn't look like you lose too much protein (~1 gram), and there doesn't seem to be an increase in the carbs for the Fage 0% brand.

Don't trust my math, though - I've only had one cup of coffee and just realized it's Friday. The Fage website has all the info on ingredients and nutrients for all their yogurt products.
                "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

From what I understand there really isn't any nutritional difference between the 0% and full fat. With the 0% they just take the fat out. The carbs and protein are identical. But it does suck that most places don't carry the full fat. It tastes so much better than the 0% it is ridiculous.

Comment

I might have to try making my own.

Comment

I don't have a Whole Foods by me, but we're **finally** getting a Trader Joe's in two weeks -- with luck, they'll carry Fage Total there. Thanks for letting me know that such a beast exists!
                      F, 44 years old, 111.8 lbs, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

**1st place sparring, AAU TKD regional qualifier, 2/15/15 - It's damn good to hit like a girl!**

**First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

Comment

I love fat filled Greek yogurt -it is manna from heaven and until I moved to Raleigh. NC -all I had for a brief shiny moment was Cabot's 10% fat Greek yogurt and it was freaking delicious, the cat's meow- found at the Food Lion in the Eastern part of NC. I would load up on the stuff -, but I as expected since I probably was the only one buying it in this fat phobic society, they stopped carrying it! (I think I cried for several days )
                        Now being in Raleigh-I have greater access to Fage and Trader Joes brand of whole fat greek yogurt.
                        Please don't get those low fat versions-as I think someone said-you're better off just getting some whole milk regular yogurt-Dannon or something like that which even Wal-Mart carries-and don't worry whole milk or fat products never run out in today's world because you know fat causes you to get fat and causes massive heart failure!!!!!
                        Peace

Comment

The fat free yogurt I buy is exact same as normal organic yogurt, but without the fat. Depending on the milk quality you might be better with fat-free. I usually have a bowl of fat free yogurt with a few scoops of goats greek yogurt and some fruit. Higher protein lower calories and tastes as good.

Comment

Originally posted by Danielle5690 View Post
                            I might have to try making my own.
                            Ah yep...
                            "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
                            "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
                            "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Comment

Hmm... I get the Fage Total at my local grocery store (part of the Kroger chain). Didn't realize that it is not available everywhere. The Greek Gods full-fat yogurt seems to be everywhere.

Comment

Working...
                              X