Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Headaches from fructose overload?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Headaches from fructose overload?

    Lately I've been trying to eat more carbohydrates, and I find that it's easier eating a lot of fruit than a bunch of sweet potato (I've tried...). Problem is, the sweetness eventually gets to me and I get a major headache from them compared to when I eat a large amount of sweet potato. Is there a reason for this?
    My chocolatey Primal journey

    Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

  • #2
    why are you eating fruit?...just eat more veggies and have a sweet potato a couple of times per week?..fructose spikes insulin..insulin stores fat...keep fruit to a minimum. I sometimes eat a handful of blackberries a couple of times per week..maybe a half a banana a couple times per week..an apple now and then, that's it. Make vegies your priority for carbs NOT fruit. Your body is sending you a clear message...too much insulin...so listen to it, keep track of how you feel, then you'll know for sure if this is the reason.

    Comment


    • #3
      Do you notice dehydration when this happens? The reason I say this is that I wonder if excess sugar consumption works in a similar manner to the effects of consuming too much alcohol. In that case, you have a headache to the excretion of water from your body.
      Last edited by mrexec1986; 07-26-2012, 12:34 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Very well could be the fructose.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by chia View Post
          why are you eating fruit?...just eat more veggies and have a sweet potato a couple of times per week?..fructose spikes insulin..insulin stores fat...keep fruit to a minimum. I sometimes eat a handful of blackberries a couple of times per week..maybe a half a banana a couple times per week..an apple now and then, that's it. Make vegies your priority for carbs NOT fruit. Your body is sending you a clear message...too much insulin...so listen to it, keep track of how you feel, then you'll know for sure if this is the reason.
          Because I need to consume 150g+ carbs on average a day to support my weight lifting/sprints? Some of us actually exercise and need the carbs, you know...
          My chocolatey Primal journey

          Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by mrexec1986 View Post
            Do you notice dehydration when this happens? The reason I say this is that I wonder if excess sugar consumption works in a similar manner to the effects of consuming too much alcohol. In that case, you have a headache to the excretion of water from your body.
            That's interesting. But fruit contains a lot of water, so shouldn't that self-rectify?
            My chocolatey Primal journey

            Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
              That's interesting. But fruit contains a lot of water, so shouldn't that self-rectify?
              Why Does Sugar Give Me a Headache? | OlsonND.com

              This explains it better than I did. The water thing makes sense, but I would guess that the sugar load has a greater effect than the amount of water present in the fruit.

              Comment


              • #8
                I consume less than 150 g a day. I say I average about 130 g in a week. I lift sprint and do light cardio in a week. I usually eat a serving or 2 for breakfast with some protein. I consume the rest of my carbs from veggies. I feel fine.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by chia View Post
                  why are you eating fruit?...just eat more veggies and have a sweet potato a couple of times per week?..fructose spikes insulin..insulin stores fat...keep fruit to a minimum. I sometimes eat a handful of blackberries a couple of times per week..maybe a half a banana a couple times per week..an apple now and then, that's it. Make vegies your priority for carbs NOT fruit. Your body is sending you a clear message...too much insulin...so listen to it, keep track of how you feel, then you'll know for sure if this is the reason.
                  fructose does not spike insulin. that's why sugar has a lower GI than potatoes - because of the fructose. but let me go one further - an insulin spike is not a problem.

                  sakura girl, if something you eat gives you a headache, you should not keep eating it.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Ugh, okay I'll go back to eating sweet potatoes instead then. Just not a fan because when it's hot in the summer, I want to eat things that are less filling in my stomach.
                    My chocolatey Primal journey

                    Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      What exactly are you eating? Different fruit has different fructose levels, berries are generally the lowest. And it may not be the fructose but the particular fruit. I have fructose malabsorption so most are off limits to me because sorbitol is also an issue, but everyone is different.
                      Buy house, Demolish house, Build house.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Lately it's been cherries. 1-2 pounds a day on average.
                        My chocolatey Primal journey

                        Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
                          Lately it's been cherries. 1-2 pounds a day on average.
                          Cherries are actually high in sorbitol, fructose isn't that bad. I'm surprised your guts aren't flipping out though, as sorbitol in high quantities can cause cramps and diarrhea. (Stone fruit-cherries, plums, peaches, avocado-has sorbitol) I just googled and found that sorbitol can in fact cause headaches for some. I would also imagine that eating that much of one type of fruit might be more of the issue than just eating fruit. Do you have days when you mix it up? You might find that a variety is better for you and you'll get different nutrients as well.
                          Buy house, Demolish house, Build house.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            2 lbs of cherries a day? dang! in the words of ron burgundy, "heck, i'm not even mad; that's amazing."

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Well I ate several pounds of watermelon a day 2 weeks ago, and sometimes I eat blueberries or raspberries. When plums, nectarines, or peaches are on sale at the produce store, I buy a ton of those and eat 1-2 lbs of those, too, intermittently between the cherries. But cherries are my favorite, so I've mostly been eating those.
                              My chocolatey Primal journey

                              Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X