question about fats and carbs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about fats and carbs

Ok say if I am eating relatively high carb (~250-300g) and lower fat (~80-100g), should most of my fats, if not all, be saturated in nature? I am 6' tall and ~150 lbs. I do interval sprints once a week (10-12 sprints @ ~70-80m or so) and bodyweight exercises twice a week or so (30 - 40 mins per time). I am on my feet pretty much the entire time at work. I do realize I should move slowly more often, and I am working on that. But living out in the middle of nowhere on flat ground and walking is very boring.

Healthy fats are healthy fats. Eating fatty meat and eggs will give you the right amounts of saturated fats. Throw in some butter and coconut oil for cooking and you are complete.

Comment

Alright thanks for the quick response. I admit I don't really like to eat fatty cuts of meat all that much, but I do like to eat a lot of butter and dairy quite a bit. I also like crispy rice cereal way too much, and I would say that is where the majority of my carbs come from.

Comment

i think that however much fat you're eating, the majority should be saturated & monounsaturated.

Comment

Originally posted by jakey View Post
          i think that however much fat you're eating, the majority should be saturated & monounsaturated.
          Cool, thanks for the comment. Another question I have is that should I still be doing this if I eat all conventional foods (conventional meat, dairy, veggies, etc.)? If this makes me sound like an idiot, I apologize. I am just trying to understand things better.

Comment

Originally posted by mrexec1986 View Post
            Cool, thanks for the comment. Another question I have is that should I still be doing this if I eat all conventional foods (conventional meat, dairy, veggies, etc.)? If this makes me sound like an idiot, I apologize. I am just trying to understand things better.
            This may help The Differences Between Grass-Fed Beef and Grain-Fed Beef | Mark's Daily Apple

"Don't let perfection be the enemy of the good"

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
              This may help The Differences Between Grass-Fed Beef and Grain-Fed Beef | Mark's Daily Apple

"Don't let perfection be the enemy of the good"
              Thank you for that. It is just hard to wrap my head around eating mostly saturated and monounsaturated fats while still eating carbs. I know CW would definitely be against that, but it is starting to make sense why these fats are much safer to eat.

Comment

Thank you for that. It is just hard to wrap my head around eating mostly saturated and monounsaturated fats while still eating carbs. I know CW would definitely be against that, but it is starting to make sense why these fats are much safer to eat.
                You mentioned your fat (80-100) and carb (250-300) intake but what about your protien?

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Will View Post
                  You mentioned your fat (80-100) and carb (250-300) intake but what about your protien?
                  I probably eat somewhere around 150-175g of protein daily. Are my macros too out of whack here?

Comment

e
                    I probably eat somewhere around 150-175g of protein daily. Are my macros too out of whack here?
                    That really depends on you goals. I do believe your carbs are pretty high but then i dont know your activity levels either.

So goals?
                    Activity?
                    Age?

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Will View Post
                      e

That really depends on you goals. I do believe your carbs are pretty high but then i dont know your activity levels either.

So goals?
                      Activity?
                      Age?
                      My goals are to maintain a reasonable level of fitness and strength with my body type as well as to feel good. I do two bodyweight sessions, one session of interval sprints per week and try to move around and be on my feet at work most of the time. I am 25 yo, 6' tall and ~150 lbs.

Comment

Well you're young and your active so the levels of carbs probably won't bother you too much right now. If you're looking to gain muscle and lean mass you should increase your protien intake to 1.5 - 2.0 grams per pound of goal lean muscle mass. Now, if you want to start switching your body over now to burning fats for fuel vs carbs, which I do suggest because as you get older it gets a lot more difficult, increase your fats (saturated fats and omega 3's) and lower your most sugary carbs. Fruits being at the top of the list.

For you activity levels here's a challenge for you. Preform 10 , full range of motion, single leg pistol squats on each leg. Building your leg muscles, especially your quads, raises your IGF-1, Testosterone and GH like nothing else. Those are what you want to work on increasing right now. The more you have now, the more you'll have when your 50.
                        Last edited by Iron Will; 07-27-2012, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X