No announcement yet.

Julian's Bakery Coconut Bread primal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personally, I believe that pure "primal" means "natural". There are lots of things that are taken overboard in both directions. I see people spout off that "gluten free" grains are "bad" because they're "still grains", yet something like Buckwheat isn't wheat at all, or a grain, or a grass. Rather, it's a flower. In other words, people talk out of their asses a lot regurgitating 3rd hand information they read one time off of a message board.

You have you ask yourself why you want to eat something over whether or not that product is "primal" or "paleo". If you're seeking coconut bread because you can't live without bread, then you're substituting one piece of crap for another, especially if it becomes a staple. If you're just looking for options to change things up, then go for it from time to time. It can fall in the range of your 80/20 and, well, blah blah blah.

Just be honest with yourself when it comes to substitutes for other foods. A franken food is often worse than the "real" thing.

Comment

It's $8.00 per loaf. I'd put makeup on my ass and walk on my hands before I'd pay $8.00 for a loaf of bread.
      "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

I understand that people cringe when seeing paleo go the way of atkins - but I think what the OP is asking for is a nutritional/biochemical reason that coconut bread would not be paleo. Combining otherwise paleo foods in a paleo quantity and cooking them - even if you call it bread- doesn't necessarily make it unhealthy. If you mash up a banana with an egg, cook it, and call it a pancake it is no different than eating a banana and an egg for breakfast.

That being said, I have read that coconut flour contains high levels of lectins so I avoid it. I highly doubt it would be a problem in small quantities, but as a dietary staple I would be wary. I would also be suspicious of anti-nutrients in psyllium.
        Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Working...
        X