So it turns out I haven't beaten the emotional eating

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Comma View Post
    I don't think I have deficiencies, I think I have a problem with emotional eating. I mean I KNOW I do. Food is my comfort and I am perfectly aware of eating without being hungry. Sigh. It's like smoking. You pull out the ciggie KNOWING its disgusting (I stopped smoking, but food is just around too much). I ordered a book that lays out alternatives on what to do to comfort yourself when you'd turn to food usually. I can't come up with anything good by myself. My tub is too small and the thought of knitting makes me curl up in a little stressball and cry.
    hmm. i challange you to make and eat bulletproof icecream until you cannot eat anymore.

then see how long it is until you want more food
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Comment

Yes okay, if I gorge until my distended stomach cramps, even I don't want to eat more. If I eat until I have all the calories I need, I can eat more. You bet. I don't want to overeat, primal or not.

Comment

YOU ARE ME! Seriously, I could have written this post, becks 83, except for I am still in the honeymoon phase of the PB. Three weeks into it and I still feel confident and motivated. I expect I will get to where you are at one point, so I will be interested in hearing what others say. I will bookmark your post to read it when I get there!
        My pep talk is that you always have choices: You can beat yourself up for the cookies and the slice of homemade cake or you can eat it and go back to Primal eating the next meal. Do not starve yourself to make up for those calories; they do not matter in the long run if you make the choice to get back on track. Even the PB acknowledges that it is unrealistic for everyone to live 100% Primal. It isn't a failure by any means.
        I do get the concern about falling back into the addiction. I am an emotional eater myself. When sad, when bored, when angry, when happy, when tired. There is somewhat of a dissociative experience when you are in the middle of eating the sugar. That, 'How the hell did that happen?' moment when the bowl of coconut-pecan frosting has disappeared (oh yeah, I've been there).
        I am rambling. There are things that work for me: exercise, increase protein/fat in diet, journaling, drinking big glass of water and waiting 20 minutes, leaving the house, run the dogs, finding a friend, or even putting on my pair of tightest jeans. It might even work for you to plan out the day(s) when you can enjoy baking something awesome and have a piece. Or you can expand your culinary creativity and find Primal treats to bake. I'm making sweet potato brownies this weekend!
        Like someone else said: candida overgrowth is a real possibility.
        You started your post by saying how great you looked and felt the first 3 months. SLAP! That wasn't someone else's success... that was yours. Maybe you were uncomfortable with your success? A journal can help work through feelings.
        Good luck to you! ~Pam
        sigpic
        Age 48
        Start date: 7-5-12
        5'3"
        121lbs
        GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
        Henri Frederic Amiel

Comment

**another writer raising a hand**

This happens to me, especially when I'm under deadline pressure. When the book is due OMGNOW, then my health goes out the window. This happened to me first in the winter, and then again very harshly this spring -- not only did I have a contracted book due, I wanted to get it done before going away on a family vacation (nothing ruins a vacation faster than doing work), and a years-long friendship unraveled and went kablooey, all while also promoting the book that had just hit the shelves. I was a fucking mess. I didn't stay primal, let alone pseudo paleo. I could barely get off the sofa.

Stress sucks. Creative stress sucks in creative ways. Sometimes, I feel like I can either be healthy OR be productive, not both.

Lately, I've decided that's bullshit. And so, I've been trying something different these past few weeks: Instead of diving back into primal, I've been easing into it. The big thing I've been focusing on is no wheat (with one time of having pizza with the family, and yesterday I had Chinese food that probably had soy sauce in there somewhere) and eating relatively primally. I've been having rice cakes, though, and way too much sugar. But instead of getting upset with myself, I've just been focusing on not eating wheat. Other changes have been happening: cooking more primal foods; eating more primal foods, etc. I've also started doing CrossFit (this is my first week going three times; for the past three weeks, I've gone twice/week). And I'm making a commitment to get more Moving Slowly in during the week.

And yeah, I have deadlines. Copy edits are due Monday; a short story is due at the end of August. But this time, I'm not going to walk (or sprint) away from being primal. I'm going to keep easing back into it -- I'm out of rice cakes, so I won't buy more, and instead of having the paleo mug cake as a dessert, I'm going to reach for an apple (or, you know, not have dessert).

So I think the key here is to be forgiving as well as supportive of our own endeavors. It's not an all or nothing, you know? Easing into things might be the right step.

Also key? Celebrating our successes, however big or small.
          F, 44 years old, 111.8 lbs, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

**1st place sparring, AAU TKD regional qualifier, 2/15/15 - It's damn good to hit like a girl!**

**First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

Comment

My go to sugar fix is dark chocolate with peanut butter. It fills you up quickly so after a few bites you don't really want to binge anymore... beating emotional eating is all about identifying that point where you switch from eating out of hunger to eating just cause there's nothing else to do, or eating because you're sad, or eating cuz you're afraid about the future... As for your creativity, I've found a lot of inspiration in the "aligning" of my passions...seeing how being healthy relates to my other passions, I've always been one to write about being yourself and not feeling like there's something you're "supposed" to be or do, and after having my science-approved, me-tested (with amazing results!) diet scorned by everyone I know, it's really reminded me that what other people say doesn't matter at all if you know in your heart that what you're doing is right for you... I've cut sugar a lot, aside from eating lots of apples (no one will ever convince me this is bad) and a slice of pineapple every other day or so, plus my almost daily dark chocolate habit. Cake doesn't tempt me. Cookies don't tempt me. I will fess up that I eat a slice of Exekiel bread now and then (sprouted grain! it's...almost like a vegetable, right? right?) I look at a cookie and I see hours of guilt, complaints from my stomach, a quick buzz that'll wreak havoc on my system and leave me feeling worse than when I started... If you can re-wire your brain to see sugary foods for not how they TASTE but how they'll leave you FEELING, you won't want to eat them any more than you want to eat a pile of garbage. Also, I learned recently that taste buds have a life span of 8-10 days. You CAN rewire yours. The cookie-hooked ones will die off and the beef and veggie loving ones will make your food decisions from now on. I used to be the worst of carb addicts and I came around, I believe you can too if you just make a mental note of how bad eating cookies makes you feel and keep that in mind next time you go to eat one. Over time, you'll learn to side with your body as much as possible for optimum happiness!

Plus, who says being primal has to mean giving up social eating? Just make something primal to share at your next gathering and maybe your friends will start to realize cookies aren't as good as real, Mother Nature-made food. But maybe they won't...I have a friend who's about to start med school and I met her at a vegan restaurant the other day and was talking about how I'd never eat a "veggie burger" cause what the heck's in it, and she agreed with me, said that makes sense, then ordered one. Sigh.
            Last edited by 2ndChance; 07-26-2012, 09:01 PM.

Comment

I have allowed myself "treats" here and there also. Then the next day all I want is more!! I hate it. I hate the way I feel when I eat grains and sugar. I hate that I am eating something that is not giving me any nutrition. As someone who is also a foodie, I know how hard it is. I am not looking forward to the holidays! Will I make cookies to give to people like usual? Will I eat any? I don't know. I think that is just something I have to give up. It is very addictive and it isn't giving me the "happiness" that I am looking for anyway. It gives me nothing but guilt. I don't know what to suggest, but I know the only thing that works for me is to simply keep the stuff out of the house! I have been trying to focus on being a primal foodie now, lol. Making really great snacks and meals that are good for me. I had friends over for dinner the other night and served guacamole with bell pepper slices instead of chips and primal taco salads! Well okay we had some wine too, but ya gotta live good luck, feel free to message me anytime for a pep talk or a slap in the face

Comment

I think part of the reason you see cookies and such as so hard to resist is because you totally associate it with reward. Why not try associate grass-fed beef and vegetables cooked in butter with reward? It is totally delicious and good for you...

I know it's hard to change your way of thinking, but once you get the fact that cookies do not really taste *that* good and make you feel like shit, they'll be much easier to avoid.
                My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

I think you have gotten a lot of great suggestions already I have a lot of your issues - food is my comfort when I am stressed, sick, or overtaxed. I am much, much better about it since going primal, but I do still sometimes over do it.

One thing that really helps me get back on track is to do a little proactive eating. Even if I am not hungry I will have a big protein and fat filled breakfast and lunch for a few days in a row - it really does help calm things down. I also have slowly retrained my brain. If I was stressed or tired I would think "Oh - you deserve a cookie". Now I say - "you deserve to feel great". It helps. Sometimes

I know you mentioned that you don't think you have any deficiencies, but I find focusing on "deep nutrition" can actually be helpful. Even eating a primal diet, you can be left with some deficiencies if you just eat muscle meat. Some of the best things to add in

- homemade bone stocks (homemade chicken and sweet potato soup with grassfed butter is amazing for breakfast)
                  - bone marrow (great for the brain!)
                  - liver (nothing compares to liver for nutrition)
                  -oysters
                  - brazil nuts (just a few a day)
                  -sea vegetables.

Also, making sure your vitamin D3 levels are in the upper half of normal can really help.
                  Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

I find this mindset hard to understand because I never buy items like cookies, or the ingredients needed to bake them, I can understand a bit more if somebody left a jar of cookies in front of your face though.

So can't you just stop yourself there, at the supermarket isle, when you are looking at the cookies and such foods?
                    http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

Comment

I think I heard Robert Lustig in an interview that it takes an average of FIVE years to kick a sugar addiction. Lets face it -living a modern western world over 95% of us are in a degree sugar addicts.
                      Cookies, brownies, cakes, pies are freaking delicious!!! at least to me!
                      What do I do to combat this sometimes craving is a lot of what people have written but I'll enumerate my list

1. I don't buy at the grocery store because I am an addict. A full package of Oreos may last two days, a pint of Ben Jerrys-I'm amazed how people cannot eat the whole pint once they get started.
                      2. Birthdays, celebrations, special occasions-I get my fill because I don't have to take it home and I have to freaking enjoy chocolate-milk or dark and some baked goods now and then.
                      3. Primal/paleo guidelines of nutrition and diet are just so satisfying and has been so successful for the first time in my life-there is no way for the rest of my life you can convince me this is not the way to go so that gives me motivation and discipline to at times to not eat certain things when I'm out, at work, or in eating "situations" without a paleo line up.
                      4. Its "sugar crack" -I've convinced myself so I know highly pleasurable but highly addictive and for me highly detrimental. This gives me an impetus to discipline myself more.
                      5. AND RELAX-PERSPECTIVE-They are sweets -enjoy them once and a while -don't beat up yourself because of your body and brain cravings. Eat a cookie -don't feel guilty and have some steak and eggs the next day, a big salad, and some sardines. Think about it -YOU ATE SOME COOKIES and kids in a hospital right now have maybe a week or two to live!!!! WHO IS WORSE OFF?
                      6. All this support and info as Bush would say on the internets is like having all those Jenny Craigs and Weigh Watching support groups on line for FREE. Even better you start hooking up with people in person who share your ups and downs with the guidelines without standing up in circle confessing to others that you ate two cookies last night!

ENJOY YOUR LIFE, ENJOY PALEO/PRIMAL, ENJOY SWEETS, ENJOY CARBS, ENJOY ALCOHOL, ENJOY YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS, and ENJOY GETTING FRUSTRATED AND GETTING DOWN ON YOURSELF AS WELL

Peace

Comment

I think sugar addiction and emotional eating are two different things that have to be tackled in different ways.

Anyways.

It is true that we all have other stuff going on, and that nutrition is only part of the story, so ya know? Big slap on the shoulder to all of us for trying so hard. We'll do just fine, never mind it's not perfect. Just keep at it with whatever corner of the brain you got available.

Comment

I love baking myself, but over time I stopped missing it, moving towards cooking other foods. I like smoothies though, making them with cranberries & other berries. Sometimes I just have fruit & smoothie for supper. Also, I find that adding more carbs & dairy helps with not wanting treats, but eating actual food instead. But that's me 5HTP seem to help me as well, as I do not have uncontrolled sugar binges any more. Things actually taste too sweet for me now, though I have a candy or a bit of ice-cream now and then.

One time when I struggle with sweet cravings is when I cook supper, because sweets and fruit makes such an easy snack (and bread for that matter), but I trained myself to chop up some ham or cheese really fine or have a tbsp or so of peanut butter or greek yogurt with a fork and stretch those tiny bites throughout cooking process and while waiting on supper. I also stretch out postprandial tea with the same for as long as I can. Sometimes I have a suck-on candy

But overall yeah, retraining yourself for savories instead of sweets as reward treats is a good idea if sugar is your main problem.
                          Last edited by Leida; 07-27-2012, 07:22 AM.
                          My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                          When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

I haven't seen a slap across the face in this thread so far just a lot of wallowing in self-pity . So how about growing up and taking some personal responsibility. All of our lives can be hard, we all have problems from time to time, we are all sometimes not in control of things that may happen to us but the one thing we are in control of is ourselves. Decide what it is you want and act. I know I'm a carb addict. If I eat too many I can't stop eating more. If you learn that you cannot trust yourself to manage "treats" then cut them out. Just stop. That's what led to my health problems and excess weight. I know that, so I don't eat any. Period. All the time. So grow up and be in charge. You want a treat, go watch the sunset.

Tercio

Comment

Ok after reading all of this i can see that i just dont get using food to satisfy any feeling at all.

so in order to not be the hypocrite that i feel some people are who have never been "broken" I will shut up now.
                              Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
                              Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
                              Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Comment

Nevertheless, I do think I remember an episode on TV when Bruce Banner (Bill Bixby) ate some oreos and turned into the Hulk and then the Hulk was tricked into eating soy and turned back! That was an episode right??? Maybe I'm high from sugar or THC or kat or bath salts or whatever
                                BTW I think the episode was sponsored by Oreos and the Soy council!
                                Peace

Comment

Working...
                                X