The True Definition of Calories i.e. "Why what you believe is extremist BS"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    However, you will feel SO MUCH BETTER eating quality calories because you'll actually get sustainable energy and micronutrients along with them.
    I feel better when I eat ample amounts of non Primal food, like refined grains, so your statement of fact should be reiterated as your opinion. May work for some, may not work for others...

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    You can only live on fake cheesecake and protein powder so long until your body starts robbing minerals from your bone structure and you become exhausted from the wild blood sugar swings and oxidized, rancid fats that form the foundation of your diet.
    Stop being a scare-monger by posting unrealistic examples. Hit your macros and micros and eat whatever you want if you have room left over. Simple, enjoyable, and effective.
    http://stackingplates.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by StackingPlates View Post
      I feel better when I eat ample amounts of non Primal food, like refined grains
      so why do you eat primal?

Comment

• I put on a hell of alot of muscle after i lost 90 pounds by having a post workout shake of ice cream, whole milk, protein powder, eggs, peanut butter, and sometimes chocolate syrup. However eventually i got pretty fat again, lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by jakey View Post
          so why do you eat primal?
          I don't believe I've ever made that claim? I may do so by accident on occasion (more common on a rest day than not), but if I partake in strict Paleo™ for long periods while training it is a disaster...

Comment

• I was able to walk 3000 miles on a diet of rancid vegetable trans fats, flour and sugar. I did have trouble keeping the weight off during the hiking, however. The weight crept back on me slowly but surely the longer I was out there.

It's a lie that eating healthy will result in better performance. I just was hiking with a guy who has hiked 10,000 miles in the last two years on poptarts and peanut butter and candy. He was pretty young, but even in my mid-40s I was able to do almost the same (same diet, fewer miles.) There was a younger woman with us in her 20s on the poptart and peanut butter diet. She could do the miles but she was not skinny. There was an older man with us in his 60s. He was not eating any sugar or flour. He (and his wife at home) had achieved amazing results cutting only those two things from their diets. They have had all the same health-related results that are trumpeted here. Plus they lost weight without calorie-counting. The wife lost 130lbs.

What eating healthy does to you is make you have better mental health, clears up issues like snoring and sleep apnea, clears up a lot of allergies, acne and IBS things, dramatically reduces hunger for some people (my friend talked about eating three heaping plates of pasta for dinner and feeling hungrier after every plate, then falling into a coma on the couch). We compared notes and everybody we know at our age (middle-age and above) has had amazing health effects from cutting flour and sugar, health effects we could not achieve with diet and exercise alone. Cutting the flour and sugar really seems to be the common theme among us even though among us were folks who continued to eat all grains so long as they were not flour as well as not worry too much about stuff like white potatoes, quality of meats or oils, amount of sugar from fruit/dried fruit. Some of us did, some of us didn't, but we all had the same results anyway.
            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I don't believe I've ever made that claim? I may do so by accident on occasion (more common on a rest day than not), but if I partake in strict Paleo™ for long periods while training it is a disaster...
              forgive me for assuming that you eat primal, since we're on a primal forum!

Comment

• Originally posted by jakey View Post
                forgive me for assuming that you eat primal, since we're on a primal forum!

Comment

You don't claim to eat Primal, but you have ~400 posts on the MDA site.

Do you need a hobby?

Comment

• I'll quote one of Choco's best posts from this thread.

If 1,000 people read this thread (or one of my 400 posts in this context) and one comes away with a grasp of reality, then at least that saves one person from themselves.

Comment

• I think there is a lot at play.... and it is very individual.

1. Our metabolism can be slow, fast or inbetween.... probably if you are fat you are to the slow end of the metabolism.
                      2. Working out has different effects on people- for some, dang they shape up, lose weight and look great. For others they just get fitter while staying fat.
                      3. Some people can do a lot on junk food. I visited a friend this weekend and he drinks beer and eats crap. He took off his shirt and was 6 pack city. He also smokes. He looks better than most Olympic athletes. If you are this guy, your advice does not pertain to anyone.
                      4. If you have a slow metabolism and don't need a lot of calories..... eating grains (filler) and sugar (more filler) is not that smart. If you are a really active man who burns a lot of calories, eating some filler is probably a great idea.
                      5. Certain foods treat certain people like shit. One week without nightshades and sorry for the TMI, but I have been dropping water like crazy. Finding out that there *might* be something other than "CICO" keeping your from wearing your skinny pants is a really good thing. Hearing "hey you must just count wrong" isn't useful if the issue is actually with some food sensitivities. I went thru the same thing with wheat.
                      6. Eating healthy whole foods can only help your health. But you might not be able to eat all you want, even though some people might be able to. This is life. But life sucks when you really can't eat that much. Think about it- do you think it is easy to live on $15,000 a year? If you made $50,000 a year would you tell that person making $15,000 a year just to spend as much as they need? Or to spend $25,000 a year and everything will be fine?
                      7. Most 40 something women have made a lot of efforts to lose weight. Most of us know a whole lot more about self experimentation and tracking then you want to know.
                      8. Veganism makes all the same claims....
                      9. Crazy shit sometimes works for people. Someone, somewhere has had success at weightloss drinking butter. Most people cut calories. But hey- when you are fat, and cutting calories doesn't work.... sometimes crazy shit does. I thought it was crazy that grains made me fat- 30lbs later, without really cutting calories I don't think that is so crazy. So I dunno, I'm more than a little interested in seeing if maybe some other foods have the same effect on me.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                      Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

• Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                        One pound a week is not bad at all especially when your illness prevents you from doing much exercise.

Not to you specifically, cori, but in general I think a lot of us want to see a pound a day coming off or we start getting discouraged and flit off to the next fad in nutrition, the next quick fix cure all. Calorie counting does work but you have to stick with it.
                        or just get discouraged.

much like Peter said to the Christ... where else would I go?
                        Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
                        Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
                        Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Comment

• Maybe all the calorie counters just have higher-than-normal amounts of cortisol wearing themselves out worrying about the smaller details (like calories) that are hindering their health and weight loss.
                          My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

• Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
                            I think there is a lot at play.... and it is very individual.

1. Our metabolism can be slow, fast or inbetween.... probably if you are fat you are to the slow end of the metabolism.
                            2. Working out has different effects on people- for some, dang they shape up, lose weight and look great. For others they just get fitter while staying fat.
                            3. Some people can do a lot on junk food. I visited a friend this weekend and he drinks beer and eats crap. He took off his shirt and was 6 pack city. He also smokes. He looks better than most Olympic athletes. If you are this guy, your advice does not pertain to anyone.
                            4. If you have a slow metabolism and don't need a lot of calories..... eating grains (filler) and sugar (more filler) is not that smart. If you are a really active man who burns a lot of calories, eating some filler is probably a great idea.
                            5. Certain foods treat certain people like shit. One week without nightshades and sorry for the TMI, but I have been dropping water like crazy. Finding out that there *might* be something other than "CICO" keeping your from wearing your skinny pants is a really good thing. Hearing "hey you must just count wrong" isn't useful if the issue is actually with some food sensitivities. I went thru the same thing with wheat.
                            6. Eating healthy whole foods can only help your health. But you might not be able to eat all you want, even though some people might be able to. This is life. But life sucks when you really can't eat that much. Think about it- do you think it is easy to live on $15,000 a year? If you made $50,000 a year would you tell that person making $15,000 a year just to spend as much as they need? Or to spend $25,000 a year and everything will be fine?
                            7. Most 40 something women have made a lot of efforts to lose weight. Most of us know a whole lot more about self experimentation and tracking then you want to know.
                            8. Veganism makes all the same claims....
                            9. Crazy shit sometimes works for people. Someone, somewhere has had success at weightloss drinking butter. Most people cut calories. But hey- when you are fat, and cutting calories doesn't work.... sometimes crazy shit does. I thought it was crazy that grains made me fat- 30lbs later, without really cutting calories I don't think that is so crazy. So I dunno, I'm more than a little interested in seeing if maybe some other foods have the same effect on me.
                            This

Comment

• or just get discouraged.
                              That's me. I always seem to find some new hope, and keep trying, but in the past few weeks, I just can't re-acquire that sincere belief that I can succeed. I am going to give my best shot to clean up my diet for August, and I am not stopping to train, but I don't believe any longer that I have what it takes to lose the weight, so I probably won't be trying to hit perfect any more (meat and veggies only and all that). Fit and fatter than I wanna be, it is. Better than fat and unfit, obviously. But if I am to stay 'okayish' I might as well be 130 lbs, same as 120, what frigging difference does it make? Still "okay". Blah.
                              Last edited by Leida; 07-30-2012, 12:16 PM.
                              My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                              When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

• Maybe all the calorie counters just have higher-than-normal amounts of cortisol wearing themselves out worrying about the smaller details (like calories) that are hindering their health and weight loss.
                                Honestly, that's kind of a snotty comment. Calories are not a "small detail" when your metabolism is slow. You sound like a rich person telling a poor person not to worry about keeping track of spare change. It's not stressful to track calories. You log into fit day or whatever and enter in what you eat or plan to eat or whatnot. Takes 5 minutes and a decent memory.

I'm not sure what other details I could get right. I eat whole foods. I exercise. I do bodyweight exercise. I lead a low stress life. I can't eat a lot of calories in a day. If I don't stay on top of it I overeat. If I overeat, I put on weight or don't lose. The cool thing about tracking calories and weight is that I saw the dang correlation with tomatoes.

I don't freak out if my dinner puts me over 1400 calories. It's not "stressful" to weigh out a portion.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                                Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Working...
                                X