No announcement yet.

A new "So, What's For Dinner" thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last night's dinner: marinated, basted, slow baked babyback pork ribs, very lean. I made the bbq basting sauce(a base of my own fermented ketsup (no sugar), my own marinara sauce, the last of my agave that's been sitting idle most of this year, my own habanero/vinegar hot sauce). The last of the left over yellow squash/zuke casserole from our lunch. Some sauerkraut on the side.

Lunch @ Whole Foods yesterday was fairly sublime, & deserves mention: Beef stroganoff with a rich thick creme sauce, I had an extra large portion. Marinated artichoke hearts w/ crumbled feta, red onions, kale, tommy toe tomatoes in an italian vinaigrette. Dessert was the free samples of the healthier, cleaner stuff they were demo'ing in-store
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Comment

• I just made what is quite possibly the best marinara sauce in human history. My neighbors have a very bountiful garden and keep planting more than they can possibly use then unloading the extras on me. Today I got a big bag of tomatoes that were still warm from the sun and a huge bunch of fresh basil. I had been planning on meatballs anyway but with the store bought sauce. This was way better. Tomatoes, basil, olives, feta, onion, garlic, pepper, and coconut manna. Oh, the yumminess.

Comment

• Sounds lovely. If you have any extra the next time you make it, can, bottle up or otherwise save some for me to sample...

My 2 big basil plants are flowering now, likely will pick them in a day or 2 & make a goat cheese pesto with leaves & tender stems, use the flowers for my salads!

Comment

• Dinner tonight was: Asian salad, w/ lightly cooked kale, raw orange bell peppers, scallion greens, tommy toe tomatoes marinated in rice vin & salt. Mixed green salad w/ arugula, loads of goat feta, heirloom tomato, balsamic & evoo, side of sauerkraut. Small grilled hamburger patty, reheated/left over from another evening. It was small since I had huge salmon portion for breakfast, & large ahi tuna chunks over my BAS for lunch

Comment

• I made an almond crust cod (could use halibut) with a homemade tartar sauce.

Almond Crusted Cod:
            1 lb cod or halibut
            3/4 cup almond meal (I made my own in a food processor)
            3 Tbsp melted butter
            Juice of 1 lemon
            1 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 500. Arrange fish on a foil-lined baking sheet. Mix together almond meal, melted butter, lemon juice, and salt - will be the consistency of a dough. Spread a thick layer of almond meal mixture over fish. Bake for 10 minutes. Serve with homemade tartar sauce.

Tartar sauce:
            1 cup homemade mayo or sour cream
            1/2 cup Bubbies pickle relish
            2 Tbsp chopped parsley
            2 Tbsp chopped green onion
            2 Tbsp capers
            1 Tbsp lemon juice
            1/4 tsp each salt and pepper

Comment

• Bringing you back to the front page with my meatballs.....they were so good I'm having them again (beef, port, beef liver, and eggs) tomato sauce from our garden. Eat as many as I can drenched in their own fatty goodness and some sauce.

Comment

• Bacon-wrapped chicken breasts with broiled zucchini, followed up with a super-thick avocado-cocoa-almond-coffee smoothie.
                >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
                >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
                >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Comment

• Pork chops, cauliflower/garlic mash, and some sliced tomatoes, I think.

Comment

• It's hot here. I think I'm just going to make a nice cold crunchy salad with shrimp and scallops on top.

Comment

• Originally posted by quelsen View Post
                      ok i need a new new new liver recipe.

i have about 10 pounds and a girl who cant really stand it,

we have done curried

with onions

in chilli

what else?
                      Originally posted by Betorq View Post
                      Is it chicken or beef liver? Chicken has the mildest taste, beef the stronger by far. Never had pig liver (yet).
                      I make a pate' w/ carmelized onions in butter, a finely diced sweet apple cooked into the onions @ the end of the carmelization process. Balsamic, whatever else you have handy for veggies, This makes a sweeter pate' than many other recipes I've done/tasted. Perfect for liver newbies, imo.... It is delish!
                      Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                      Bringing you back to the front page with my meatballs.....they were so good I'm having them again (beef, port, beef liver, and eggs) tomato sauce from our garden. Eat as many as I can drenched in their own fatty goodness and some sauce.
                      So far I've sautéed with lots o' bacon & bacon fat (still pink inside), made meatballs & meatloaf like neckhammer's above and made several pâtés. Betorq's recipe for pâté sounds fabulous and I'm making THAT next.
                      SW: 243
                      CW: 177
                      Goal: Health

Comment

• How I manage liver:

I put a pound of liver and a pound of 75% ground beef (grass-fed), a yellow onion, and a bunch of seasoning (this week, taco seasoning) in my food processor, then pulse it until it's fairly uniform looking. Cook in bacon fat while stirring a lot, until it is all done through. If your FP is smaller, do it in batches.

This works very well to hide the taste/texture. More spices help.

Comment

• Ground pork with ginger, garlic and shredded carrots on a bed of lettuce.
                          Buy house, Demolish house, Build house.

Comment

• After 90+ days pure primal, I'm going to have a burger on *eek* bread. Sourdough; three ingredients on the label. I'm going to enjoy it. I don't have wheat issues. I won't fart, have cravings, nor will I gain wieght. I'm just going to have break.

Eating bread every day will make you sick. I believe that with all my heart. Eating bread three or four times a year will barely make a blip in one's health. I believe that with all my heart also.
                            "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• Originally posted by quelsen View Post
                              ok i need a new new new liver recipe.

i have about 10 pounds and a girl who cant really stand it,

we have done curried

with onions

in chilli

what else?
                              Get a cat. That will use up your liver surplus.

But seriously, a small amount (2 ounces?) ground up and mixed into a stir fry should be undetectible.

Edit: RaeVynn beat me too it. Hiding it in mince is the best way we have found to get it past toddlers turning their noses up at it.
                              Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
                              5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                              Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                              TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                              bloodorchid is always right

Comment

• Originally posted by magicmerl View Post
                                Hiding it in mince is the best way we have found to get it past toddlers turning their noses up at it.
                                Toddlers and elderly newly Primal parental units. Shhhh. Don't tell my Dad there was liver in the meatballs and meatloaf.

Comment

Working...
                                X