No announcement yet.

Paleo diet and IBS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BestBetter...please make room in your pm's..
    A Woman's Place Is In The Revolution.

Comment

Well I know I can relate to the stress, and ibs in itself leads to more stress.
      Some days are better then others.

You gave a lot of info :-)
      though still a little confused on what typical bk, lunch, dinner would be that does not
      Leave you curled up on the couch in pain. Yet I know we each have different triggers. I used to have huge salads nightly for years, now I can't. It all changes.
      I personally hope I don't have to go back to higher carbs, I was always hungry :/ so I'm not sure how you are able to do that. But if I read you right it was really fiber and too much food at once ? Yet it looks like you eat primarily plant foods?

Bottom line is to not look so much outside yourself for answers. Although I have to admit others successes are helpful :-)

Comment

Paleo diet and IBS

Hello Community,

IBS is a disease of exclusion. In other words, IBS is not ONE condition. if your doctor can't find anything that is anatomically wrong with your intestines, such as celia disease, Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis for example, you will receive a diagnosis of IBS. It may be a convenient way for your doctor to label your symptoms and push them aside, but it is definitely not very enlightening for you in your quest to feeling better. If you have IBS, you were probably recommended to increase your fiber intake and eat more whole grains, vegetables and fruits, but in many instances, it only makes things worse and this is why some people with IBS don't improve or even feel worse on the Paleo diet. To better understand how you can improve your IBS symptoms, you need to first identify the cause. The cause and symptoms associated with IBS is different from one person to another.

Best Regards,
        Mithel Jone

Comment

I suffered it once long time ago for a short time
          Paleo Cook Book

Comment

Originally posted by meeme View Post
            BestBetter...please make room in your pm's..
            Done.

Originally posted by Alykat View Post
            You gave a lot of info :-)
            though still a little confused on what typical bk, lunch, dinner would be that does not
            Leave you curled up on the couch in pain. Yet I know we each have different triggers.
            My IBS issues were both chronic and acute. I was chronically constipated and bloated (with some periods of time where I'd inexplicably be more regular), and then seemingly at random I'd get those curled on the couch acute pain attacks. Because my issues never seemed to be tied to a particular food, everytime I tried an elimination diet, I never got closer to answers, because in my case there were several issues going on (for example, maybe the food I was eating was okay, but I was just eating too much at once, or maybe I was eating smaller meals, but since I was chronically inflammed, anything I'd eat would give me problems). Maybe, what I was eating during a particular 'trial' was okay, but my chronic stress or messed up gut flora was wreaking havoc.

So for me, it wasn't that I'd eat a particular thing and ALWAYS have a bad reaction to it. Sometimes, eating a certain meal would repeatedly give me pain, but eating the individual ingredients in that meal never bothered me. I still don't know what it is about that combination of items that hurts my digestive system so much, or even if it was just a coincidence. Likewise, sometimes probiotics seemed to help, other times they had no effect. Sometimes accupuncture worked short term, sometimes it did nothing. It seemed like every time I attempted to test for some new trigger, my results were always inconclusive.

In general, from the info I gathered from various IBS forums and sites, it's best to stick to low fiber foods, eat smaller portions, and not to eat too many things in one meal. An example of an IBS meal might be something like white rice with tuna and some oil and salt; I found one website belonging to a guy who's had IBS for like 20 years, and he discovered that was the one meal he could eat everyday with no problem.

An example of typical things I ate while recovering:
            -A bowl of homemade bone both with white rice noodles
            -white rice with lime and white fish or shrimp
            -peeled boiled potatoes with salmon or some red meat
            -omlettes with some peeled zucchini and onion
            -fruit (melon, banana, apples, pears)
            -if I ate dairy, yogurt, kefir, and other cultured milk products would be good

Originally posted by Alykat View Post
            I personally hope I don't have to go back to higher carbs, I was always hungry :/ so I'm not sure how you are able to do that. But if I read you right it was really fiber and too much food at once ? Yet it looks like you eat primarily plant foods?
            I think that for me, it was/is a combination of things. My epic chronic constipation was triggered during a 4 month road trip during which I just stopped having any BM at all for months and months. Likely, that was due to stress and maybe other unknown factors at the time. Since that point, my flares have probably been due to some combo of stress, too much fiber, messed up gut flora, inflammation, and later on meals that were too big.

I had the same fear about returning to higher carb eating, because my hunger levels were much lower eating lower carb, mainly because I have a history of binge-eating that I've only gotten totally under control within the past year. However, my fear proved to be unfounded, because now that I'm eating more carbs, I actually think about food less and my hunger levels are about the same. It's helped me to realize that my food issues were purely psychological. I know that's not the case for everyone, and a lot of people probably do have hunger that is purely driven by blood sugar issues.

For example, even though I let myself eat as much sugar as I want (try to make sure it's organic when possible), i have a strict no HFCS and no omega 6 crap oil rule, which prevents me from eating most candy and junk food, because it's extremely hard to find anything without HFCS much less crap oils these days.

And somehow, now I have some sugar and I'm fine, it doesn't send me into a tailspin like it used to. But another big difference is that I don't look to food to provide emotional comfort; it's just food, which is very liberating, and for me more importnat than more carbs/less carbs in terms of my hunger. Again, everyone is different, but I think that as long as most people are still concentrating on healthy foods, having some more potatoes and rice shouldn't be a huge problem.
            Last edited by BestBetter; 11-06-2012, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Another thing I wanted to throw out there:

During my IBS research phase, I came across a website where people were posting that their IBS was triggered by (among other things) thickeners, especially carraggeenan. One guy posted that he had a particular brand and flavor of ice cream he always bought and ate with no problem, until one day he ate it and got a serious IBS attack, and realized the ingredients had changed and they started added carraggeenan. Other people posted about having similar issues with it.

A lot of coconut, almond, and rice milks and yogurts use this ingredient (or other thickeners like guar gum), so something to check out.

Comment

Working...
              X