Smoothies. Stopped a few years ago.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoothies. Stopped a few years ago.

Anyone else reject smoothies when they went primal?

Jammed with banana, fruit, choco. protein powder
    Massive sugar bomb
    Massive insulin spike
    FAT

I have one every few months, but strictly treat it as a tasty junk food indulgence.

I think people overload their green smoothies with fruit.

You can replace the good consistency of bananas with avocado and then use berries as a sweetener. I then like to cram as much kale, spinach, celery as possible in it.

Of course, maybe you're just referencing fruit smoothies. Those are definitely a once in a while treat for me. I drink 1-2 green smoothies per day. Heavy on the greens, light on the fruit. I like using unsweetened coconut milk as the blending medium.

Comment

So you're saying my smoothie - coconut milk, banana, spinach, whey protein powder, blueberries, & strawberries - is not what I should be eating every day for lunch?

Man I love these!!!

Comment

What's wrong with fat?
        carl's cave

Comment

You may find fruit problematic in a smoothie for you, but I can quite happily manage a banana and some strawberries in with my unflavoured, unsweetened whey protein and continue to lose weight despite daring to consume some fruit.

Not everyone does well with carbs, and for those folks, maybe a smoothie is a bad idea, but some of us handle them just fine and don't see a banana as some sort of terrifying fat-producing monster.
          “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

I make smoothies all the time and I have never had a problem with them. I have never had any weight fluctuations with them either and I have been doing the Paleo/Primal thing for over 4 years now. I agree with Owly in that a banana and some berries shouldn't be too bad for you. Just as long as you are using whole foods and no added sugar I would think its okay from time to time. Here are my two go-to recipes.

Recipe #1
            1/2 cup of blueberries
            1 small banana
            1/2 cup of coconut milk
            2 handfuls of kale
            1/4 cup of ice

Recipe #2
            1/2 cup of coffee
            1/2 cup of coconut milk
            1 small banana
            1 tablespoon almond butter
            2 Tbs. raw cacao
            1 scoop unsweetened whey
            1/4 cup of ice
            "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Comment

Which part of a smoothie isn't supposed to be good for us?

I can see if you're trying to stay in or near ketosis, the banana is probably not always a great idea. But I eat smoothies a lot (a lot!) and I'm not clear on why they should be rejected. Do most people just put a lot of non-primal stuff in?

Mine go something like this:

1 can coconut milk
              half a bag of organic frozen fruit
              A dollop of heavy cream
              ... the end.

Most of the time the fruit is frozen strawberries/blueberries/blackberries, but sometimes it's pineapple with a dash of orange or strawberries with mango and frozen banana. Other times I substitute frozen coffee cubes for the fruit, and add in a couple of squares of dark chocolate. (Frozen cherries and dark chocolate in this recipe = heaven.)

That recipe makes enough for two, and I generally have one on the spot for breakfast, and save the other for the next morning or dessert the next day as "ice cream". I haven't noticed it affecting my fat loss, and it's YUM. MY.
              Last edited by merryish; 07-23-2012, 03:08 PM.

Comment

smoothies are a lovely cold treat (i use frozen bananas and frozen berries). yes, for me it's a bit of an insulin spike and is not satiating, but maybe it works for others.
                my primal journal:
                http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

I gave them up when I tried one after going a few weeks without. Felt all yucky and sugary all over. That was a while ago. I might be more suited to the carb load now than I was back then.
                  Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Interesting stuff. I have a green smoothie almost every morning now that I cut out eggs. Goes like so:

banana
                    2 small slices pineapple or few strawberries
                    1/2 cup frozen wild blueberries
                    bit of water
                    2 giant handfuls spinach

It's pretty great but it doesn't fill me up. Going to try and find another breakfast option and make them more of a treat.

Comment

Originally posted by Owly View Post
                      You may find fruit problematic in a smoothie for you, but I can quite happily manage a banana and some strawberries in with my unflavoured, unsweetened whey protein and continue to lose weight despite daring to consume some fruit.

Not everyone does well with carbs, and for those folks, maybe a smoothie is a bad idea, but some of us handle them just fine and don't see a banana as some sort of terrifying fat-producing monster.
                      +1.

I have them about twice a week for breakfast, no weight loss issues. I also have a banana a day. Helps keep my thyroid happy. Shrug.

Comment

I have been having smoothies lately with a little bit of coconut milk, water, spinach, kale, frozen banana, frozen cooked sweet potato, and a raw egg. Or coconut milk, water, greens, frozen avocado, and frozen berries.

Nice to change up breakfast in the summer... I'm getting sick of them already, though.

Comment

My hot morning smoothie is 1 banana, 4 eggs, 6 or 7 frozen strawberries and a small handful of frozen Booblerries. I add some Vanilla extract and coconut milk to fill the blender half way and add water to adjust thickness. if you feel like it, use cold coffee as liquid. very nummies.

I tried it with bacon but it does not blend well, does that mean it is not primal?
                          Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

Comment

I usually have a smoothie a few times a week. Water, coconut milk, 1/2 a frozen banana, some frozen mixed berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries), handful of greens, Tbsp of coconut oil, and a scoop of whey.

I guess I could eliminate the whey, but I usually have the smoothie after my workout. I have always cut the banana in half as I find it's too sweet with the whole one. I buy 3-4 of them, cut them in half, and throw them in a bag and put them in the freezer, so I have them on hand when needed.

Comment

OMG, where did you find - Booblerries. - ?!
                              Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Working...
                              X