Hey everyone, I'm currently attempting a 1 month trial of being 100% primal (on day 3 now). I've attempted this before about a month ago but I screwed up and ended up having about 200-300g carbs within one weekend, just at the start of the 3rd week (does this reset the process of adjusting to burning fats entirely?).
For about 4 years now I've been having troubles with low energy, low moods, brain fog etc. I'm currently 17, and haven't felt good in general for that time period. I believe this is to do with an internal issue, because in terms of my life, everything is going smoothly and stress is minimal, so I should be pretty happy!
I've read through various topics and have gathered some key things that appear to benefit depressive symptoms. Particularly because I am only just restarting my 1 month trial run, I may just be going through the 'low-carb flu' again.
The main points I see are:
- Correcting the Omega 3:6 ratio. I've recently started taking cod liver oil capsules to correct any ratio imbalances from any grain-fed meats and eggs that I have. I've managed to find a farmer who sells grass-fed meat though, so that's a relief.
- Gluten sensitivity. Yesterday, I actually made a topic on this as I was curious about the rusk and gluten content within the sausages I was eating. I started taking notice when I had some bad mood swings and anger issues the same day I had sausages with gluten inside. Those are the only foods that I consumed that contained gluten, and there definitely seems to be a connection. I've cut out gluten completely for my trial, for reference.
- Hypothyroidism. I'm not too sure if I have this condition, and it seems that the only way to check is to see my GP.
- Lack of Vitamin D. I'm usually out every day, and here in London spring is finally starting to come round, so now the sun is coming into swing as well. I've been taking a multivitamin every day regardless, and the cod liver oil also contains 100% of the RDA for vitamins A and D.
- Not eating enough fats. This, I believe, MAY be somewhat plausible. I only manage £20 at most a week for my food, and my parents generally buy 99% processed foods. I focus entirely on fatty meats. Today I managed to buy 12 slices of dry, cured, smoked back bacon, 2 pork chops and 3 steaks. The steaks are huge, and I haven't tried those yet. I've already had 3 slices of bacon, so I need to ration it all out throughout the week. My parents still make dinner though! For me, my mum usually cooks chicken thighs with vegetables. Nothing added, plain and simple and works well.
I would buy some coconut oil, but I'm not sure where from. Any other London primals who can share any good shops? I've been using olive oil for now, trying to make the most out of what I can. I'd rather not use butter either due to the dairy (not sensitive as far as I know, but I'd rather go without).
Any tips, advice and additional information is greatly appreciated.