Can't stand liver, can't make myself

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't stand liver, can't make myself

eat it and my husband told me not to cook it in the house. LOL. I want to eat it, I think it might be beneficial, I am always needing an iron supplement and b vitamins. But I can't stand the smell, idea, or taste of liver. I even tried making liver dumplings as it sounded like a good recipe. I could barely choke them down. The dog on the other hand loved them. I do like liverwurst (go figure). Does liverwurst count?

There's a progression: liverwurst > fancy liver paté > home-made chicken liver mousse > fried duck liver > calf's liver.

I personally have never gone beyond the last point, but the journey was fun. I live in Bavaria, where liver dumplings fit in somewhere between chicken liver mousse and fried duck liver. The dumplings are made with sausage meat, liver and soaked bread, so not very primal, but delicious!

Comment

So it looks like I skipped a few steps. I'll try the progression. I think I could handle paté. I have never heard of chicken liver mousse. Instead of soaked bread I used coconut flour but no sausage. Sausage in there sounds pretty good. I'll try that next time I get up the courage.

Comment

Liverwurst might be okay, but check the ingredients on the label as you might be surprised at the chemicals and sweeteners that go into making it taste good. I'm guessing there's a decent brand out there.

If you don't like liver, have you tried other organ meats? While technically the heart is a muscle, I've read here on the forum that it's a good iron source.
        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
          Liverwurst might be okay, but check the ingredients on the label as you might be surprised at the chemicals and sweeteners that go into making it taste good. I'm guessing there's a decent brand out there.
          US Wellness ingredients look good and I have read many good reviews about its taste. Plan to order some myself this week.

Comment

chicken liver pate is much easier to enjoy for most people than diving straight into beef liver.

soak the livers in several changes of water.

put in pot with salted chicken broth. (water is ok too.)

simmer until centers are just past pink.

drain.

whizz in food pro with butter, splash of brandy, dried thyme, salt and pepper. if i have them around i will add 1 or 2 prunes to this.

chill overnight.

that's my everyday pate recipe and it freezes quite well.

you can also add cream to this for something very silky and decadent.

don't know where you live, but we have a very vibrant snout-to-tail movement in restaurants here. if that's true in your area, go out and explore some charcuterie plates to see what's out there.
            As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

As noodletoy said, start with chicken liver, then work up to calf or lamb liver, then try beef.

My pate recipe is the same for all of them.

Take a bunch of liver
              Fry it in a bunch of butter
              Season it however you like while frying (I like garlic, basil, oregano, s&p, and a splash of sherry)
              (I sometimes add mushrooms as I cook but they are not necessary)
              turn off the heat and blend this all to smithereens with some cream (hand blender, vitamix, whatever)
              pour into little tupperware cups and fridge.

Makes a good portable hit of protein.

Comment

Here is my recipie for liver.

Take a good ribeye, grill it and enjoy..... Liver is gross.

Really, just because you are Primal and trying to live a good clean healthy life does not mean you need to eat stuff that you don't like. Be your own person.
                I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
                My Journal

Comment

Originally posted by TorMag View Post

Really, just because you are Primal and trying to live a good clean healthy life does not mean you need to eat stuff that you don't like. Be your own person.
                  Can't agree more. Just because something is deemed healthy doesn't mean you HAVE to eat it.

Comment

Originally posted by TorMag View Post

This makes sense.

Comment

I usually sautee liver in ghee with some onion and bell peppers. It definitely has a distinct taste but the ghee gives it a bit of flavor. You don't need to it if you don't like it. There's definitely a lot of wild meat that I don't think i would even attempt to eat. Part of it is access but I think I have enough variety in my diet so I'm not that concern.

Comment

Chicken liver tastes like cat food plain. That being said, when my sister forced me to eat cat food at 7, it wasn't bad because of the flavor. It was only gross because it was cat food! Call me crazy.

I ground up chicken liver into some hamburger meat and my picky husband was able to eat it okay. I eat a lot of liver, heart, tongue, whatever when I can find it. Makes my grocery bill a tad cheaper. That's always nice. Buying grass fed/pastured is a bit pricey sometimes.

Comment

Put it in a blender with coconut milk, cacao powder, banana and maybe some stevia. It will still be a torture, but you'll be able to down it. Goodluck, I just did it
                          well then

Comment

Home-made chicken liver paté/mousse.

Use duck liver if available.

Sauté chopped onion in ghee, add garlic, then half a pound of liver. Season with salt, pepper and thyme. When nicely browned, stir in tomato puree, then pour in some wine and stock, whatever is handy. Let reduce to a thick sauce.

Pour the whole lot into a high bowl and add grated lemon zest and juice, a tablespoon of capres and lots of butter. Use stick blender to puree. Chill and serve.

Comment

Don't let it touch your tongue. Chew it and swallow. I can't stand the taste of liver but as long as it doesn't touch my tongue then I can eat it.

Also, try to mask the flavour or add a little to other foods. Add a bit of liver to homemade burgers or meatballs.

I made a Thai Green Liver Curry yesterday as an experiment. It managed to kill some of the liver taste but some was still there. I am winning my battle liver. A few years ago even the smell would put me off.

Of course, if you don't like it then you don't have to have it. I just find that a vitamin rich food cannot be ignored so I would rather battle my abhorrence of it for the sake of my health.

Comment

Working...
                              X