Bacon recommendations?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bacon recommendations?

I notice that lots of you eat bacon. I confess I haven't eaten it in years and was looking for recommendations from people who know.

I tried to google "healthy bacon," but as you might guess, I got lots of turkey bacon results, which I'm so not looking for.

Gi'mme pork!

Thanks in advance for any info.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

I get my pork from local sustainable farms who raise their pigs on pasture, and whose bacon is smoked but contains no nitrites/nitrates. Do you have a farm you deal with? You could check eatwild.com if interested.

Comment

BJ's by me has some good, no nitrate bacon. I forget the name, however. Cheap too!

Comment

I know that costco offers a nitrate free bacon as well as their normal kirkland bacon. I started with the no-nitrate costco bacon, but have recently switched to the regular bacon they offer.
        Primal Journal of a Filipino Cherokee Grok
        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53103.html

SAD weight: 250
        Current Primal weight: 183.2

Comment

Bj's Wholesale has Applegate Farm's Sunday bacon, uncured. It's pretty good, though not as good as local stuff (much meatier, IMO).
          Depression Lies

Comment

Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
            Bj's Wholesale has Applegate Farm's Sunday bacon, uncured. It's pretty good, though not as good as local stuff (much meatier, IMO).
            +1. I Always have applegate farms bacon and cold cuts on hand.

Comment

I don't eat a ton of bacon, but Beeler's and Coleman Natural are the two best I've had.
              LastBottleWines

Comment

One thing to keep in mind is that a lot of "uncured" or "no nitrite added" bacon relies on celery juice/powder, which is full of naturally-occurring nitrate. For instance, "Applegate Farms" appears to be in the celery-juice category. There's also a debate over whether nitrates/nitrites are even harmful in the first place, but if you've decided to avoid them, you have to read labels very closely.
                6' 2" | Age: 42 | SW: 341 | CW: 198 | GW: 180?

“Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.”
                ― Søren Kierkegaard

Comment

Thanks everyone!

I've written those brands down and will check to see if they're available here. I don't know any farmers, so that's not an option for me. No Costco warehouse within 275 miles and Costco.com doesn't have it.

Thanks again.

edited to add: Cantare, you were posting while I was composing. I read something like that at the Whole Foods website, but I'm guessing WF will charge a fortune for their bacon.

Also, if any of y'all have a Facebook account, apparently WFoods is having a contest where they're giving away bacon. I didn't save the link, but I'm sure it will turn up in any bacon/healthy search.
                  Last edited by JoanieL; 07-20-2012, 02:59 PM.
                  "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by cantare View Post
                    One thing to keep in mind is that a lot of "uncured" or "no nitrite added" bacon relies on celery juice/powder, which is full of naturally-occurring nitrate. For instance, "Applegate Farms" appears to be in the celery-juice category. There's also a debate over whether nitrates/nitrites are even harmful in the first place, but if you've decided to avoid them, you have to read labels very closely.
                    Thank you!

I hate being the only one that brings that up (constantly), but it's true. Most people seem to be fine with the nitrates/nitrites, though it's definitely still up for debate. Me? 3-day migraine if I have sodium nitrite, and every time I say anything, all I hear is how they bacon THEY buy doesn't have any. But then it turns out it does, but just in form of celery salt/juice/seed. Same thing, and possibly less regulated.

I do think US Wellness meats might have one type of bacon that REALLY doesn't have any at all, but I haven't actually tried it yet so I don't know for sure.
                    Durp.

Comment

Yeah, that US Wellness stuff has me intrigued too, but haven't tried it yet either.

Sorry to hear about your horrible migraines! I used to have milder ones myself, but none at all since going Primal, so I guess my trigger isn't nitrate. Do you have to avoid celery as well, or only cured meat?
                      6' 2" | Age: 42 | SW: 341 | CW: 198 | GW: 180?

“Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.”
                      ― Søren Kierkegaard

Comment

If you eat greens at all, you're eating high amounts of nitrates. It's all good. Our organs just get rid of it AFAIK.
                        Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by cantare View Post
                          Yeah, that US Wellness stuff has me intrigued too, but haven't tried it yet either.

Sorry to hear about your horrible migraines! I used to have milder ones myself, but none at all since going Primal, so I guess my trigger isn't nitrate. Do you have to avoid celery as well, or only cured meat?
                          I haven't had an issue with anything else yet, but I'm not a huge fan of celery or greens anyway, so I probably don't get enough exposure to do anything anyway.

I would think it was psychosomatic (lots of people think it is) but I've had some when I didn't know it, got the migraine, then found out later it was in there. Same thing with sulfites (like in wine, even if it's used in cooking).
                          Durp.

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                            If you eat greens at all, you're eating high amounts of nitrates. It's all good. Our organs just get rid of it AFAIK.
                            I think, in my case, it dilates my blood vessels too much, and then it starts a chain reaction of over compensating, then swinging back the other way, and ends in a horrible mess and a dark, quiet room.
                            Durp.

Comment

Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                              +1 it's the best I have found. I eat their turkey lunch meat too sometimes for a snack...not bad if you don't mind the sodium

Comment

Working...
                              X