Burgers - how strict do I need to be?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burgers - how strict do I need to be?

I like eating burgers, and have probably been a little lazy, how bad are these ingredients?

Beef (93%), Onion (4%), Rapeseed Oil, Seasoning (Sea Salt, Black Pepper, Preservative: Sodium Metabisulphite; Antioxidant: Rosemary Extract).

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/grocerie...=1342788297293

Am I way off paleo here?

what is sodium metabisulphite? that is a rhetorical question. not to be a jerk, but it sounds like you already know the answer to your question!
    i'd also address the quality of the beef. first off, it's 93% lean? that sounds like a dry burger. try 85%. you need some good fat content in a burger. second, i'm assuming that the beef is loaded with hormones and all kinds of no-nos... but i'm not sure, i don't know the source of it, just the ingredients.
    do yourself a favor. go to the butcher shop and get some ground chuck, 85%, from a reliable source. NIMAN RANCH is a great national brand if your local butcher doesn't have anything fresh.
    i guess i'll let the experts weigh in on your question, because there is so much to know about beef!

edit: i see you are UK. though i doubt you could get niman ranch in a store, no doubt the world is at your doorstep regarding online beef purchases!
    Last edited by cookie; 07-20-2012, 05:59 AM.

Comment

Rapeseed oil is canola oil. Stay the hell away.
      A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Comment

why would canola oil be added to any burger, by the way? to compensate for the lack of animal fat in the burger, and so they can label it at 93%, but maintain an oily texture?
        it's too darn easy to just make your own, and they will taste beyond delicious.
        i just wrote about it last night. try it!

http://eatthecookie.wordpress.com/20...ole-30-day-17/

Comment

We've been making our own burgers recently. Generally 85% ground beef, salt, pepper, garlic, and an egg mixed in to hold them together. Mostly turning out pretty good.

Comment

why are you using canola oil in your burgers? use an egg to make it all stick together!
            it does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live

at just the right time, we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don't give up

Comment

Originally posted by jesssa View Post
              why are you using canola oil in your burgers? use an egg to make it all stick together!
              They're not, they're buying burgers.

Comment

Ground beef (grass-fed), salt, pepper. Done.

How easy was that?

Comment

Yeah- burgers are easy to make from ground beef, salt and pepper. Probably cheaper too.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                  Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Oh, and sometimes I'll put some minced onion in. Sometimes not.

Just got a new grill, have 2# of GB defrosted, so my big decision will be... onions or no onions in the mix. It's going to require a great deal of thought.

Comment

I've been thinking of grinding up some organ with the ground meat for burgers. Has anyone had experience with this? Perhaps some recipes?

Also, I always put onions in my burgers. Too yummy to leave out Finnegan!

Comment

Originally posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
                        Oh, and sometimes I'll put some minced onion in. Sometimes not.

Just got a new grill, have 2# of GB defrosted, so my big decision will be... onions or no onions in the mix. It's going to require a great deal of thought.
                        onions. they make a burger so much better. a little garlic is good too.

...don't want to hijack. time for a thread on burger recipes.
                        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

I'd do it with ground beef.
                          But is it 93% lean or is 93% of the burger meat? If so, and 4% is onion, then the other ingredients are less than 1% so i guess it doesn't matter but I'd go with ground
                          well then

Comment

Yep, just grass fed ground beef and pepper here. I like the 95/5 stuff, but I'm in the minority. Most folks like an 85/15 or 80/20 ratio for burgers.

Then you can top it with tomatoes, onion, avocado, mushrooms - yum. Now that's primal and freakin' yummy.
                            "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

I agree that the onions add a nice flavor, but sometimes I just like my burger to be more purist, just have the beef flavor unadorned. So onion v. no onion is more about the mood of the moment.

I'll also vote for a fattier burger, better flavor and juicier. Looking into getting a grinder and making my own - probably from chuck, but possibly throwing in some brisket and/or rib for extra fatty goodness!

Comment

Working...
                              X