Can You Eat Too Much Fruit?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can You Eat Too Much Fruit?

So I've been changing my eating habits over to a primal method, which didn't really mean much more that cutting out starchy vegetables like potatoes so far.

One thing, I've been eating a lot more fruit. We have a nearby Whole Foods, which has mixed cut up fruit cup, without the syrup, that I've been buying. Its usually some grapes and strawberries, on top of melon and calliope slices, and pineapple. I'm in the Midwest of the US, and in this heat, I've noticed I've been eating a lot of this. Probably 4-5 pounds worth a week.

I'm also eating alot of meat (broiled chicken, salmon and beef or bison) on a big leafy vegetable platter, and tons of fresh tomatoes too. (Yo garden!!) Eggs in the morning, nuts for snacks. I've already seen a difference in the way I feel but the weights coming off slowly.

I know the sugar in fresh fruit is different from white sugar, but fruit is also full of dietary fiber so I'm thinking its ok sugar.

I'm wondering, I'm trying to lose 10-15 pounds while building back strength and muscles, is this too much fruit?

The only way you're going to know if it's too much for you is to track your results and see what happens. I can eat loads of fruit and still lose weight, but other people have to be more strict about it.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

I think if you get diarrhoea, you should cut back on the fruit. Other than that ...
      Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
      5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
      Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
      TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
      bloodorchid is always right

Comment

You can eat or drink too much of anything. Water is our preferred liquid here on this board, but drink several gallons in 1 day & watch out! Fruit is great, but try eating 2 large watermelons in a 24 hr period. You get my point. I think primitive Grok & Grokettes would overconsume fruit if it was a bumper crop & they were low on other food stuffs. But they would pay a price w/ the runs that night &/or the next day. Native peoples who because of easy & plentiful access, overconsume honey or other fruits & simpler carbs, have more dental caries than their neighbors who don't go so sugar/carb heavy, this is via Weston A. Price website archives (no link, sorry)
        "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
        "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
        "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Comment

Yes you can. However, the tipping point is quite individual. There is good reason to keep your fructose bellow 50g/day though.

Comment

If you're doing a lot of lifting, just concentrate your fruit intake post-workout.
            I wish I liked to eat liver.

Comment

Originally posted by magicmerl View Post
              I think if you get diarrhoea, you should cut back on the fruit. Other than that ...
              lol! That didn't stop me from eating the other 10 lbs of watermelon after eating the first 5 XD
              My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

I don't see why you've cut out white potato - I added it back in about a year ago, and felt great. More weight went off (sounds counter intuitive, but there you go) and energy levels rose.

I think the bad carbs are grains? Except white rice occasionally...

Comment

Yes you can eat lot's of fruits.but it depend on your body situations.if your body need a fibre,vitamin than you should eat fruits.

Comment

I personally have to really cut fruit to almost nothing if I am trying to lose weight. Fruit just seems to make me plateau even at the level of a handful of strawberries and an apple a day. This makes me very sad, but that's how messed up my body is.

Comment

The sugar in fruit is fructose, which can only metabolised by the liver.

Comment

I doubt you can have too much fruit, unless you're eating it exclusively.
                        http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

Comment

6 oz. of pineapple has about 100 kcals, while 6 oz. of raw spinach has about 50 kcals. spinach has twice the fiber and 2/3 less carbs.

yes, if you're trying to lose weight, there is such a thing as too much fruit.

nuts can be a demon also. they are very easy to overeat. a "serving" of almonds is 1 ounce. that's about 22 nuts.

~~~~~~

eta: for those who like to think "oh, grok would have gorged on fruit all summer cuz it's so plentiful, so i should too..."? the wild varieties back in the day hardly resemble the super-sweet hybrids we buy at grocers and farmers' markets today. it's like comparing cotton candy and rusty nails. to us, much of it would taste barely edible.
                          Last edited by noodletoy; 07-21-2012, 01:48 PM.
                          As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

You said you're still losing weight, so why worry about it? This is the time of year when fruit is plentiful and cheap, so go for it. Another month or two and all those lovely berries and melons will start tasting like watery mush. Then you can start another thread about eating too much pumpkin.

Comment

Fructose is a known toxin and carcinogen. Glucose ain't. Hence, you can optimise your heath by avoiding fruit and sugar consumption most days.
                              F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Working...
                              X