Fasting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tom B-D View Post
    ...and why would you want to fast for 4 days? Just curious.
    IMO~ anything over a 24hr.(one meal a day) fast would be for the purpose of clearing the system of mal-nutritious (aka immune reactive) foods. For me, clearing my body (healing eczema) of the effect of wheat/gluten took 10 days of fasting.

Comment

I didn't have a specific set goal in mind...I've just read fasts can do good things...someone mentioned that organs could be beneficially effected after 5 days....so..I'm just winging it to see what comes of it.
      Height: 6'1"
      Primal start date: July 1st 2011
      Start Weight: 275
      Current Weight: 248
      Stats below as of September 1st 2011 Tested via BodPod
      Body Fat 25.4%
      Fat Mass 63.721
      Fat Free Mass 74.6%
      Fat Free Mass 187.087
      Goal weight: 180-200 lbs(Recommended weight is around 180 for my height but that sounds low)
      Total lost so far: 27 lbs

Comment

I did my first 24 hour fast yesterday, became more like a 29 hour fast, I do leangains type if'ing went and worked out at lunch and got called into a meeting when I got back. By the time the meeting was over, it was 3:00 PM and I did not get a chance to eat and thought what the heck, let's turn this into a 24 hour fast..... I felt fine, not dizzy, not hungry. I probably could have gone longer till this morning without problems. I am type II and have a blood meter. Interesting about your sugars, the longer I fast the more my sugars go up, with out food, the body starts releasing sugars into the system to keep things running AKA converting your fat back into usable sugars. That is why diabetics test first thing in the morning in a fasted state. Man, if my sugars were at 50, I would be in a ball on the floor whimpering and my wife would be running around getting some juice for me to drink to get my sugars back to normal.....
        I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
        My Journal

Comment

I'm probably early stage type 2 not that progressed. My blood sugar on my last two blood tests were 126-137 and my doctor said she considered that diabetic. I've been eating very few carbohydrates for awhile but my fasting blood sugars were still 110 or so at times....I'm curious to see what they do when I start eating again.

Jack Kruse

You should check out all the blogs on cold thermogenesis. Cold actually gets rid of fat cells instead of just reducing the fat in them if my understanding is correct. This isn't the only benefit but it can be very good for anyone dealing with excess. My thoughts are...maybe because it was in one of those posts...not sure is that when a making a new fat cell and than filling it takes more work than just filling a fat cell so when you get rid of some of them it'll be harder to gain back the weight...not sure if that's true or not.

Leptin Reset/Cold Thermogenesis are really interesting.
          Body Fat 25.4%
          Fat Mass 63.721
          Fat Free Mass 74.6%
          Fat Free Mass 187.087
          Goal weight: 180-200 lbs(Recommended weight is around 180 for my height but that sounds low)

Comment

7:25 A.M. 65 Blood Sugar a bit closer to the ideal of 70.
            Body Fat 25.4%
            Fat Mass 63.721
            Fat Free Mass 74.6%
            Fat Free Mass 187.087

Comment

I have been practicing CT for a couple of months now. Cold Showers 10 minutes every day, 45 minutes Ice baths on Saturdays, and Ice packs two or three times a week at night. Zero changes in my blood sugars because of it.... As a matter of fact, my blood sugars have gone up. I believe it is because of the fasting, that my morning sugars are now higher. Because I am not "feeding" myself throughout the day, my body is dropping more sugar in to keep things running. I am however dropping weight much faster....

I was hoping that Primal would "cure" me of my diabetes, it has not, I suspect my body got too messed up from diabetes to ever be cured. I took myself of insulin last September, my Dr. very un happy with me and said all my weight loss had nothing to do with being Primal but having higher blood sugars and that I was just killing myself faster..... "Fuck you Dr. Brown" has been my battle cry ever since. I believe that eventually I am going to have to go back on insulin, but not right now. I want to get to my goals of <15% BF and then I will consider it, but then I will have the tools in my arsenal to keep from getting in that diabetic insulin spiral of death.....
              I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
              My Journal

Comment

There are so many different factors. CT isn't a cure all sadly. Have their been any positives from it that you can tell? I've been wanting to do some heavy CT...but its expensive to do ice baths...I plan on doing a ton when my pool temp gets low enough.

Have you checked out this list of doctors? Paleo Physicians Network They probably have more around...but they aren't all conveniently listed. This list has doctors who try to get at the root of your problems rather than just say your cholesterol is high and put you on a statin or whatever.

I can't vouch for any of the doctors on the list as I haven't been to any except one but hopefully they are better than standard. I'm seeing Avery Carpenter in Dallas, TX shes a functional medicine chiropractor with a degree in pastoral medicine...which I'm not sure what exactly that is but I think it involves being able to give nutrition advice and things..she seems pretty good. She said she does a modified Jack Kruse Leptin Reset and believes in Paleo eating. The visit that I had went well. Only problem is shes in Dallas and I'm in Lewisville not all that far but I don't have my own car so I have to rely on my brother or mom who doesn't like to travel on the Interstate Highway system.
                Body Fat 25.4%
                Fat Mass 63.721
                Fat Free Mass 74.6%
                Fat Free Mass 187.087

Comment

Working...
                X