ALWAYS Check Labels... ugh

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ALWAYS Check Labels... ugh

I don't buy a lot of food that has labels anymore, but I do buy a little cheese. Sometimes, I make myself an omelet for breakfast. That's what I use it for.

I normally buy grass fed raw cheddar at the health food store, but I was under a massive time crunch while shopping this weekend. I grabbed a bag of shredded cheese at the local market. It said it was a blend of cheese, which I thought would be a good thing.

Made my omelet this morning and wondered why the hell it tasted so incredibly awful. So I looked at the package of cheese: "A blend of pasteurized prepared cheese product, cheddar and monterey jack cheeses."

Seriously, I didn't even know anyone ever slipped cheese "product" into shredded blends! That caught me completely off guard!

I used to be able to stomach fake cheese, but now, I feel sick to my stomach just from the little bit that I had this morning.

That will teach me to take the quick way out when grocery shopping.

i actually buy a lot of those kinds of shredded cheese, because my wife usually has a crazy schedule and likes the convenience of it. for me, i like keeping a block of cheese around which i can just shred on my own. i keep kerrygold grass fed on hand to eat plain, or add to something like an omelet, but even a brick of more conventional cheese has major differences in both taste and texture, as well as ingredients to the shredded.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

Yeah, a lot of those shredded cheeses are coated in starch to keep from sticking. I generally avoid them. I have never seen imitations cheese mixed into a blend before, though. Ick! I will just have to find a way to go get more real cheese.

Comment

Last night I discovered fish oil in my milk. Although I have nothing against fish oil(take it almost daily) it does NOT need to be in milk! I just want milk in my milk.

Comment

We only do blocks now as well, gets rid of any extra ingredients. I love how much better cheese shredded at home melts into recipes.

Comment

God, I don't mean to sound smug but I am so glad I live in Ireland and never have to worry about this. Cheese product? What even is that? I wouldn't dare to guess...

Comment

And then there is the cost. Ounce for ounce the shredded stuff costs more. So you get less quality and less cheese for more money.
              Female, age 51, 5' 9"
              SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
              2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Comment

Originally posted by Sabine View Post
                Last night I discovered fish oil in my milk. Although I have nothing against fish oil(take it almost daily) it does NOT need to be in milk! I just want milk in my milk.
                Eeewww Why on earth would that happen?

Originally posted by teach2183 View Post
                We only do blocks now as well, gets rid of any extra ingredients. I love how much better cheese shredded at home melts into recipes.
                Yes! The pre-shredded stuff likes to stay solid. Another reason why I rarely buy it. =\

Originally posted by HazelPrimalNut View Post
                God, I don't mean to sound smug but I am so glad I live in Ireland and never have to worry about this. Cheese product? What even is that? I wouldn't dare to guess...
                I honestly don't even know what's in it... but the very fact that they can't call it CHEESE is enough to turn me off from it. Plus it tastes disgusting and left me feeling nauseous for a couple of hours after eating it. Whatever it is, I don't think it's food.

Originally posted by jojohaligo View Post
                And then there is the cost. Ounce for ounce the shredded stuff costs more. So you get less quality and less cheese for more money.
                Absolutely!

Comment

Originally posted by Bekki View Post
                  Eeewww Why on earth would that happen?

Agree. WTF?

Comment

Yeah and then there's the unlabelled bovine growth hormones in American milk too, why it's banned in EU. Love CSI Miami, don't want the food eww. Totally upset last season of CSI Miami started here tonight. Need my Horatio fix !

Comment

Many times you'll find gluten in the pre-shredded cheese. They taste like crap anyway - they coat them with something so they don't stick together. Sorry, but real cheese DOES stick together, and that's a good thing!

I learned that one about a year ago when The Boyfriend decided to make amazing mushroom and olive omelettes, so he went to the store and returned with a Bag-O-Cheese-Shreds-Covered-In-Who-Knows-What. Yeah, not gonna fly.

Seems to me cheese lasts longer in a block anyway.
                      Durp.

Comment

"Cheese Product" is made from a set of ingredients such as milk, whey, milkfat, milk protein concentrate, whey protein concentrate, and salt. It appears to be the same in every other country and is just processed cheese.

Comment

You have to read the label on EVERYTHING. Even when buying salt. My mother bought Morton's iodized salt. Pretty standard fare, right? Well, it contains four ingredients: salt, dextrose and anti-caking agents. You know, because we need sugar in our salt and it's so very difficult to give it a small shake to uncake the lumps before sprinkling a little on your food. My Himalayan sea salt cakes a little and a half second shake fixes it. Unbelievable.
                          Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Working...
                          X