Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Acne Returned Since Starting Primal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Acne Returned Since Starting Primal

    I've had some incredible results since going primal over 2 weeks ago. No more intense food cravings, SO MUCH ENEGRY, lost a couple pounds, glowing skin, balanced moods etc.

    The only complaint is that I have started breaking out again on my face and its' really irritating because everything else is so great about this diet, and I spent years perfecting my diet/ lifestyle before this to get rid of my acne.

    I had acne as a teenager and in my early 20s up until a year ago when I cut out all refined sugar and reduced my grain intake immensely. My acne disappeared completely and would only return if I ate chocolate, soda, or sweets. I was eating a lot of fruit, salads, beans, plant protein with a little bit of fish, bread, eggs and some grains like quinoa and rice. So basically the only thing I have changed in my diet is the addition of more meat, and the complete removal of grains/legumes so I don't see why this would suddenly happen.

    I'm wondering what is causing this. Here is my typical daily diet. I exercise for an hour 6 days a week (light run / walk/ sprint/ hill climb then stretching and weights) and get plenty of sun.

    Day 1

    Breakfast - 2 egg omelette with onion/mushroom spinach and half avocado, Coffee with cream

    Lunch - Chicken or salmon with cooked veggies in coconut oil

    Snack - grapefruit or banana if hungry

    Dinner - Fish or Chicken / Beef over salad greens and raw veggies with lemon

    Day 2

    Breakfast - Green Smoothie with banana / blue berries / spinach, Coffee With cream

    Snack - 4 Brazil nuts or Macademia if hungry

    Lunch - 2 egg omelette w 1/4 avocado

    Dinner - Chicken / Beef or Bacon with raw veggies

    If anyone can help me out here I would be so grateful because I really feel great living this way except for this acne. I might add that the acne is coming on a different place on my face than before with the sugar. (Sugar was chin, Now it is more on my cheek as well as chin) Thanks so much!

  • #2
    Nuts, cream and coffee could all be contributing, quiet possibly eggs aswell. Then you have to think about your digestive health and if it could do with improving i.e. fermented foods, broths etc.

    Comment


    • #3
      could just be a temporary manifestation of detoxing. toxins and hormones are stored in fat and if you are melting fat stores, this all gets released and may cause some unpleasantness. it should sort itself out.
      As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

      Ernest Hemingway

      Comment


      • #4
        Quinoa, as I understand, it is a seed, so if you like it, you don't have to give it up.

        One way to see if a given food is causing this is to take one away for a week or two, and see if your acne clears up.
        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

        B*tch-lite

        Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

        Comment


        • #5
          It's just odd because I ate nuts cream coffee and eggs before and still had clear skin.. Interesting that Quinoa's a seed! That's cool because I quite like it.

          If I'm detoxing then I'll give it another 2 weeks and see if things clear up. After that I'll just remove a food a week and experiment as bit.

          Thanks guys

          Comment


          • #6
            maybe it's more fungal related...seriously try some kind of antifungal on it directly to see if it clears up...also adding some good quality probiotics would be beneficial too!
            Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
            http://thewoodsygal.com/

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by noodletoy View Post
              could just be a temporary manifestation of detoxing. toxins and hormones are stored in fat and if you are melting fat stores, this all gets released and may cause some unpleasantness. it should sort itself out.
              This is what I've read, too. I went thru the same thing. You should see amazing results soon.

              In the meantime you could do an oatmeal mask, egg white mask, and make a basil toner by steeping several leaves in hot water for about 15 mins. I found these ideas online when I first went low carb and they really worked.

              Comment


              • #8
                Eggs and cream could be doing it. What is your blood type?

                Comment


                • #9
                  I'm not sure of my blood type but I'd like to find out. I have increased the amount of eggs I've eaten. Ill try to cut those out first if it doesn't settle down.

                  oatmeal mask sounds fab

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I had a mild acne breakout shortly after starting. It went away quickly enough. I think it was a sort of detox symptom. Give it some time. Use mild face wash and try not to touch your face too often, cause the oil from your hands will only exacerbate the issue.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I went thorough the same thing when I started eating this way. It's most likely a temporary thing caused by detoxing. Now my skin is clearer than ever.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        That's encouraging guys! Will let everyone know how things go in a few weeks.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Acne is typically caused by milk products. Milk will make my acne and allergies flare up. Funny thing is yogurt and cheese is fine. Perhaps it's the fermentation.

                          I notice you're using a lot of cream. That may be the culprit. Consider removing all dairy, including heavy cream and butter. A can of coconut milk can easily be substituted for heavy cream without much notice.

                          As previously mentioned, nuts and eggs are another culprit. In my experience, dairy is the #1 cause of acne and it holds true for me.

                          Detox could be a cause as well. Time will tell.
                          Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
                            Acne is typically caused by milk products. Milk will make my acne and allergies flare up. Funny thing is yogurt and cheese is fine. Perhaps it's the fermentation.

                            I notice you're using a lot of cream. That may be the culprit. Consider removing all dairy, including heavy cream and butter. A can of coconut milk can easily be substituted for heavy cream without much notice.

                            As previously mentioned, nuts and eggs are another culprit. In my experience, dairy is the #1 cause of acne and it holds true for me.

                            Detox could be a cause as well. Time will tell.
                            I've been off all dairy for so many years because a dietician said it could be contributing to my teenage acne. The number of spots on my face dramatically reduced, but they also seemed less inflamed. Scratching out gluten and soy seemed to get rid of most the remaining.

                            Thing is, I can't remember for the life of *why* dairy is considered a no-no for acne prone folks. I don't know whether it was the proteins, hormones (even in cows not injected with synthetics), and I think I heard her mention something about iodine and dairy. I've also heard people say that cultured or raw dairy is okay. Why? I just kept my distance from all dairy out of fear. It was the easiest thing to get rid of in my diet, anyway.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by GuineaPigQueen View Post
                              I've been off all dairy for so many years because a dietician said it could be contributing to my teenage acne. The number of spots on my face dramatically reduced, but they also seemed less inflamed. Scratching out gluten and soy seemed to get rid of most the remaining.

                              Thing is, I can't remember for the life of *why* dairy is considered a no-no for acne prone folks. I don't know whether it was the proteins, hormones (even in cows not injected with synthetics), and I think I heard her mention something about iodine and dairy. I've also heard people say that cultured or raw dairy is okay. Why? I just kept my distance from all dairy out of fear. It was the easiest thing to get rid of in my diet, anyway.
                              Well, I don't know why either, but I can tell you the following:

                              1.) Whey and casein proteins are very inflammatory. They're supposed to be. Milk is natural growth hormone designed by Mother Nature to grow baby cows into 1,000 pound beasts. Without inflammation, we can't grow and our muscles can't repair. Whey protein is the most bioavailable protein out there. Whey protein ranks a 104 on the bioavailability scale. By comparison, eggs fall ~97-100 and beef ranks at 80. Vegetarian proteins like pea/soy/brown rice/peanut/nut/wheat protein fall around a pathetic 50-60. NO protein makes your body grow like dairy protein, not even the best quality meats.

                              2.) Milk is designed to grow baby cows. Not humans. We can't expect our bodies to digest it perfectly - it wasn't designed for our use.

                              3.) Milk is chock full of insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1). When you ferment milk, the lactic acid devours IGF-1. Yogurt and cheese is very low in IGF-1 while milk is sky high. Maybe this is why I tolerate yogurt and cheese no problem but milk is trouble?

                              Whether or not grown men and women who have reached mature adulthood should be guzzling natural growth hormone made for an entirely different species while they sit on their butts at a desk all day is up to you. I'm guessing it's a bad idea. I try and limit my dairy consumption to post-workout since it's when my body SHOULD be growing. I try to avoid significant quantities of dairy if I'm sedentary. That being said, I doubt there is ever a time where grown men and women should be drinking natural growth hormone made for another species.

                              It paints an interesting picture to put it into that perspective, no? But damn if I don't love dairy....
                              Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 07-17-2012, 03:18 PM.
                              Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X