No announcement yet.

Acne Returned Since Starting Primal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hm interesting stuff. My thing is I was completely rid of my acne while still consuming dairy. The amount was about 1/4 cup a day of cream in my coffee(s). I've reduced it to 1 coffee a day now and 2 tablespoons of cream.

Wonder if allergies suddenly show up when you eat 'cleaner' or generally just change your diet around. I've never eaten this much animal protein in my life.

Comment

^^^In that case, I'd bank on the detox option. Chances are you're burning a lot of body fat and toxins are literally spilling out of you into your blood stream. Give it 1 or 2 months and see if it starts going away. If not, it could be the nuts/eggs. You may be mildly sensitive where a little every now and again had no effect, but making them dietary staples is enough to cause an issue.
      Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Dairy breaks me out no question. BUT i do suspect that quality of dairy definitley plays a part. RAW milk which i usually consume, i think i can just about get away with 1 serving a week or 2. I wouldn't want more than that tbh because it's important to keep dairy in moderation i think.

It has to be fermented aswell. I would love to have access to RAW goat milk, which apparantley is even more tolerable.

Comment

Honestly, I don't believe anyone really knows what caues acne. I've been paleo for almost 2 years now and nothing really worked regarding diet. I read Cordain's cure for acne book. I followed it for months with no cheats. It didn't improve. I cut out all dairy. I tried cutting out fruit. I switched to only grass fed beef and wild caught salmon and veggies and coconut oil, mostly. If I could have cured it with diet, I would have by now. I've seen people blame a bad O6/O3 ratio, insulin spikes, inflammation, too much testosterone, and I've attempted to head off each of those things with diet.

The kind of acne I was getting was cystic too. Before I usually just had clogged pores but now I was getting horrible cysts that form big lumps and then leave scars. It was pretty miserable. The only thing that finally cleared it up was taking B5 and L-Carnitine supplements. I take 1 gram B5 and 250 mg L-Carnitine 3x a day and I've only had one cyst since I started this regimen. I found this blog where this doctor explains it a bit: Pantothenic Acid, B5 for Acne by Jeffrey Dach MD.

I don't know if you need to go this route or not. I had a pretty severe case. I cleared it with my doctor, you should maybe consult yours first too. My dermatologist was worthless. He just put me on antibiotics for a while, which did nothing of course. Anyway, that's my story.

Comment

Yeah its a pain in the as** for sure. Temperamental for sure if you're prone to it. Seems like anything can flare you up but I honestly did get rid of constant mild acne for almost a year straight just by finally cutting out refined sugar stuff. it would come back like clockwork if i ever ate it so I'm pretty convinced that for me, it was insulin problems which increases production of androgens which increase sebum production which in turn cause acne. Something along those lines made sense for me.

I'm rollin with the detox thing because I have lost quite a bit of body fat already in just 2 weeks. "Blame it' on the massive increase in exercise as well. Will wait it out for now.

Comment

Cut the eggs and nuts - going paleo/primal gives you the freedom to eat loads of eggs
              I don't think we're supposed to eat that many eggs.
              I suggest even going more extreme as to cut chicken too. just eliminate all O-6 for 30 days and see what happens.

I've made a post on paleohacks, go and read - Eggs and Acne relation - PaleoHacks.com
              Last edited by Gilleh; 07-17-2012, 11:19 PM.
              Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

Comment

That's a great link thank you. I've still been eating the eggs and broken out even more its driving me nuts. The eggs aren't amazing quality either I'm assuming, my mother is buying them at the moment. I'm gonna stop completely now with them and see if it goes away. Thanks

Comment

I'll give a +1 on "toxicity" leaving your body.

I had terrible acne as a teenager too. I got it to clear up once back then, when I got a kidney stone (from consuming 1/2-3/4gallon of milk per-day) and no water. I immediately switched to water only, and poof my acne cleared up. I thought it was the water doing it, so I added back in milk because I liked it and my acne just came back and I never made the connection.

But, I have had the same symptoms you have with acne now. It went away for the first 2 months, then came back for a month and now I'm better than ever(off/on primal 1.5 years total, strict the last 7 months).

Comment

It's not eggs, it's probably toxins now you're eating cleaner. I got them when I went organic but they've gone now.

Comment

Originally posted by JesseJe View Post
                      That's a great link thank you. I've still been eating the eggs and broken out even more its driving me nuts. The eggs aren't amazing quality either I'm assuming, my mother is buying them at the moment. I'm gonna stop completely now with them and see if it goes away. Thanks
                      Good luck - tell us how it goes, it's important that we figure out what triggers that condition.
                      If you gorged on the eggs like I did, it might take a while for the body to adjust. Hang in there.
                      For other people who made comments - remember toxicity comes in many forms..
                      Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

Comment

Hey all well good news the acne is gone. I say gone because its been 4 days since a new breakout which were coming once a day at least. You know what did it? Cut out the eggs completely. That's the only thing I changed.

I'm not necessarily going to make the final conclusion on that, but in this mini experiment, it worked so far. Also, it might not be eggs themselves but the quality of the eggs I was eating.

I'm going to give it another week egg free, if I have no acne I will reintroduce them and then we'll have our answer

Comment

Originally posted by JesseJe View Post
                          Hey all well good news the acne is gone. I say gone because its been 4 days since a new breakout which were coming once a day at least. You know what did it? Cut out the eggs completely. That's the only thing I changed.

I'm not necessarily going to make the final conclusion on that, but in this mini experiment, it worked so far. Also, it might not be eggs themselves but the quality of the eggs I was eating.

I'm going to give it another week egg free, if I have no acne I will reintroduce them and then we'll have our answer
                          Most eggs contain soy, even the organic/pastured ones as they're typically supplemented with corn and soy feed. Tropical Traditions sells soy-free eggs, but they're extremely expensive. You could very well have a soy allergy, but given the quantities you may be one of the unfortunate ones sensitive to eggs.

Another possibility is to try duck eggs, turkey or goose eggs. Maybe you're only sensitive to chicken eggs, but they are all very hard to find. I sure can't find any!
                          Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Working...
                          X