Potatoes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potatoes

What are your thoughts on potatoes? I've avoided them because they're "not paleo", but I'm rethinking that. I mean, I'm not too concerned about nightshades; I eat tomatoes and peppers. I don't seem to do well on very low carb, so I'm looking to up my carbs, and I'm sick of sweet potatoes. I think my Irish blood is acting up. I want some shepherd's pie, with mashed potatoes, carrots and onions, and some grassfed ground beef. Are there any downsides to potatoes I haven't thought of?

Being from and Living in Ireland myself I do love my potatoes, especially when smothered in butter :P but ever since starting the PB I try to limit them to my 2 or 3 times a week. My goal is not to loose or gain weight, so i find this works well for me. Try and work them in and see how you feel

Comment

As a new person I am wondering about potatoes too. Are potato's okay once a week ? I wouldn't eat these everyday, but would make a nice treat once in a while.

Comment

Loren Cordain says we shouldn't eat them because they contain toxins. He says only sweet potatoes are acceptable. I love sweet potatoes so I eat only them just to be on the safe side, but I'm not sure potatoes should really be avoided. Aren't all the toxins destroyed by cooking? Many pre-agricultural societies eat cassava, which is also toxic when raw. But I'm avoiding potatoes for now.

BTW sweet potatoes (actually boniatos) don't interfere with my weight loss at all. They are not like sugar and flour.

Height: 5'4" (1.62 m)
        Starting weight (09/2009): 200 lb (90.6 kg)
        No longer overweight (08/2010): 145 lb (65.6 kg)
        Current weight (01/2012): 127 lb (57.5 kg)

Comment

The thing about potatoes is that they are so carby they will send a flood of insulin into your system, and we all know that isn't good.

Comment

I am just starting, my first week. So its okay to eat sweet potatoes? Are there any restrictions? Thanks for all the help!

Comment

Originally posted by NATLES View Post
              I am just starting, my first week. So its okay to eat sweet potatoes? Are there any restrictions? Thanks for all the help!
              Stop eating when you are no longer hungry.

Comment

Originally posted by NATLES View Post
                We all come at this from a different angle. Assuming non-diabetic, eat any unrefined food you like until you discover a reason not to IMO. Disengaging from commercial meals is the big step.
                37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

I eat potatoes because I'm Peruvian and the Incas kept the potato alive.

DO NOT BELIEVE THE LIES OF THE IRISH ILLUMINATI MAFIA.
                  I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Originally posted by StoneAgeQueen View Post
                    The thing about potatoes is that they are so carby they will send a flood of insulin into your system, and we all know that isn't good.
                    Without any insulin you may get into serious trouble...
                    "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Enjoy both sweet and white potatoes.

Not that I'm trying to get anything started here, but if the carby taters send that awful flood of insulin into my body and all that jazz, I wonder how in the world I managed to break a year old weight loss stall by starting to eat potatoes in liberal quantities at that?

Comment

Originally posted by Graycat View Post
                        Enjoy both sweet and white potatoes.

Not that I'm trying to get anything started here, but if the carby taters send that awful flood of insulin into my body and all that jazz, I wonder how in the world I managed to break a year old weight loss stall by starting to eat potatoes in liberal quantities at that?
                        Was that on the potato diet?

I think I read something about that, the potatoes don't provide the right type of something for you, so your body has to break our your stored fat reserves to get it.

So nothing-but-potatoes is a great fad diet, but inadequate long term.
                        Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
                        5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                        Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                        TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                        bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Originally posted by magicmerl View Post
                          Was that on the potato diet?

I think I read something about that, the potatoes don't provide the right type of something for you, so your body has to break our your stored fat reserves to get it.

So nothing-but-potatoes is a great fad diet, but inadequate long term.
                          No, It wasn't the all potato thing. I simply decided to up my carbs from 60 - 70 to the 130- 140g. range by basically adding cooked and chilled potatoes to my dinner.

Comment

Fair enough.

We've added potatoes back in too, and basically always have a 'starch' as part of the evening meal (rice/potato/kumara/carrots).
                            Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
                            5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                            Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                            TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                            bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Potatoes have been great for me if I eat them with fats. I do more with Japanese satumaimo and Okinawa purple, but use small white potatoes with a lamb stew or Thai style curry.

Comment

Working...
                              X