No announcement yet.

Potatoes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did find on the website, sweet potatoes are ok. I am going to have a nice one tonight with butter, yum!! I have actually been doing pretty well, after getting on the FitDay page and entering my day's meals, maybe need a little more carbs but getting more calories than I should. I figure, I have lost almost 10 lbs since Monday so I think I'm ok on calories. Having 3 or 4 pieces of dark chocolate at night to keep me going and it seems to help. Thanks for the replies!!

Comment

I went a year without potatoes, but I've added them back into my diet now, and I am LOVING them!

OMG! Potatoes rock my world! LOL
      SW: 68 kg. * CW: 61.5 kg. * GW: 60 kg or less...
      “Your work is to discover your work and then with all your heart to give yourself to it.” ~ Buddha

Comment

I eat potatoes on occasion. Sometimes they give me heartburn, as do other nightshades.

To me, if you are trying to lose weight, potatoes can be easy to overeat. You can eat a lot bigger volume of cauliflower than potato for the same calories. But an awareness of that is easy enough to cultivate.

Insulin, ketosis.... all that science aside, but I feel like primal/paleo diets mainly work because they eliminate foods that are easy to overeat.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
        Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Sweet potatoes are full of nutrients and good for gaining fat.

Comment

Originally posted by thaijinx View Post
            I went a year without potatoes, but I've added them back into my diet now, and I am LOVING them!

OMG! Potatoes rock my world! LOL
            I cut out potatoes for a year too - and most other obvious carbs. But I began to feel v weak, listless and tired all the time. Adding potatoes back into my diet - some most days - sorted that out. Two years now WITH potatoes and I feel great. Digestion better, weight has stayed stable, and sleeping better. Win win for me.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCook
              Potato having fat allot so,its better for weight gain but don't include it whenever your trying to reduce weight ,tomato is good for weight loss even you can add whey protein in your diet chart.
              This "guilt by association" of potatoes is nonsense. This is the same logic used by CSPI in saying that "most people fry potatoes, therefore you shouldn't eat them no matter how you cook them".

Potatoes are good. Fat is good. Losing weight is not speeded up by going fat-free, nor is being fat-free a successful long-term weight management strategy.

Comment

Potatoes have a high glycemic index and, as Cordain correctly says, contain toxins.

The toxins are easily destroyed through cooking: boiling potatoes for 20-30 minutes can remove almost all of them.
                As for the glycemic index, just have them after a workout and you won't have problems: I myself do like this, they are my official side dish for sunday's roasted meat: I cook them with rosemary, sage, thymus, savory, squeezed fresh garlic and chopped onions. And the fat of the meat of course

They are not a everyday food, they are "just starches". I consider them an alternative to rice.

Comment

Glycemic index is way overrated except as a source of income for diet gurus and diet food snake oil salesmen who sell to obsessed dieters.

Comment

Originally posted by primal_alex View Post
                    Potatoes have a high glycemic index and, as Cordain correctly says, contain toxins.

The toxins are easily destroyed through cooking: boiling potatoes for 20-30 minutes can remove almost all of them.
                    As for the glycemic index, just have them after a workout and you won't have problems: I myself do like this, they are my official side dish for sunday's roasted meat: I cook them with rosemary, sage, thymus, savory, squeezed fresh garlic and chopped onions. And the fat of the meat of course

They are not a everyday food, they are "just starches". I consider them an alternative to rice.
                    The cool thing about this forum is I'm not sure whether "thymus" is a typo or not

Comment

Originally posted by sjmc View Post
                      The cool thing about this forum is I'm not sure whether "thymus" is a typo or not

Comment

IMHO Potatoes are fine. I like to have them with runny eggs sometimes to soak up the yolk. I cook a small potato in my microwave smoosh it up and put the eggs over top.

Something potatoes did for me was to keep me from getting nauseous when I was pregnant and they also seemed to help with heartburn. Smashed potatoes with cream and butter are one of my comfort foods.

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                          Glycemic index is way overrated except as a source of income for diet gurus and diet food snake oil salesmen who sell to obsessed dieters.
                          I have come around to thinking this as well. For one thing GI does not calculate what else you are eating with your meal. What happens to the GI of a potato when you eat it alone..compared to with a steak? Also, most healthy people can eat high GI foods without blood sugar issues.

Comment

Originally posted by statikcat View Post
                            I have come around to thinking this as well. For one thing GI does not calculate what else you are eating with your meal. What happens to the GI of a potato when you eat it alone..compared to with a steak? Also, most healthy people can eat high GI foods without blood sugar issues.
                            Most people don't understand it anyway. I've been told that brown rice is much better for you than white rice because of its glycemic index, when actually the difference is not significant, while the difference between whole rice and rice flour is large.

But even so, it doesn't make much difference to the body.

Comment

Japanese who eat potatoes instead of rice live longer. The preference for tubers over grains is something the people of Yuzuri Hara have in common with Okinawans.

Last edited by Chupo; 05-22-2013, 11:20 AM.

Comment

these 2 MDA blog posts sum the dilemma up well
                                Are Potatoes Healthy? | Mark's Daily Apple
                                Are Potatoes Paleo? | Mark's Daily Apple

they affect my blood sugar too much and as I'm trying to control my diabetes they aren't worth it for me. I find the mashed cauliflower a palatable substitute
                                When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
                                27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
                                new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Comment

Working...
                                X