Dizziness When Reducing Carbs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dizziness When Reducing Carbs?

I have just started seriously eating paleo. I've dabbled with it here and there. I have been off wheat for some time though. To start, I'm keeping my carbs pretty low(30-ish grams) to take off 15 lbs. I've been experiencing dizziness when I stand up, especially if I've been in the same position for a while. Do y'all think this is from tne lowered carbs?

When people reduce carbs their blood pressure drops significantly. This can cause dizziness, light headedness etc.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

What's your weight and height? Have you reduced too drastically?
      ----------------------------------------
      F, 48, 5'10"
      Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
      Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Comment

Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
        When people reduce carbs their blood pressure drops significantly. This can cause dizziness, light headedness etc.
        So would the solution be an increase in carbs or waiting it out? Thank you for the reply!

Comment

Since you said you just started paleo im assuming you've just started eating very little carbohydrate. You are most likely experiencing the carb flu that hit many of us when transitioning. You may can either eat a few more carbs and then slowly ratchet it back down to ketogenic levels, or you can just gut it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Louisa655 View Post
            What's your weight and height? Have you reduced too drastically?
            5'4
            138(with lots of fat pockets mostly in the core and upper thighs)
            Possibly to drastic?? I'm not really sure. I am pretty impatient.

Comment

Originally posted by leslieinvirginia View Post
              So would the solution be an increase in carbs or waiting it out? Thank you for the reply!
              Carb flu is more about the headaches and general tiredness. Dizziness is something else.

It's an adjustment phase. It's caused by all the water weight being flushed out of your tissues which lowers your blood pressure. You should be careful to drink enough water and make sure your electrolytes are good. You may need to increase your sodium a bit.

Question, before you do anything though. Do you take any kind of medication? In particular ones for blood pressure, diabetes, or any heart related problems? It's possible that your dosage would need to be adjusted.
              Last edited by Paleobird; 07-14-2012, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                It's an adjustment phase. It's caused by all the water weight being flushed out of your tissues. You should be careful to drink enough water and make sure your electrolytes are good. You may need to increase your sodium a bit.

Question, before you do anything though. Do you take any kind of medication? In particular ones for blood pressure, diabetes, or any heart related problems? It's possible that your dosage would need to be adjusted.
                No medicine except occasional claritin(2x/month during allergy season)

Comment

Originally posted by leslieinvirginia View Post
                  No medicine except occasional claritin(2x/month during allergy season)
                  Good to hear. You never know on the net. People can be handing out advice that could be deadly depending on other medical conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                    You may need to increase your sodium a bit.
                    +1
                    http://stackingplates.com/

Comment

Originally posted by StackingPlates View Post
                      +1
                      Thanks everyone. I'll try adding some sea salt to my diet for a few days. If that does not help, I'll add a serving or two of berries and see if that works.

Comment

Cool Leslie---we're about the same helght/weight! I get the lightheadedness when my carbs are too low. I usually up them a bit the next day and feel better...one day below 50, one day above. I've only REALLY been tracking for a week or so---but been eating primal for awhile. What is your goal weight? My lowest weight ever was 118 and that was back in my juicing days....felt too thin though. 125 would be lovely for me though! best of luck!
                        Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
                        http://thewoodsygal.com/

Comment

I just went very-low-carb myself from occasionally eating fruit and dark chocolate, and I can tell you that the week after making the change, I was getting intense dizziness when standing, as well as my vision going fully black for up to 5-10 seconds. It's a blood sugar thing. I was also EXTREMELY crabby and had the worst sugar cravings I've ever experienced in my life. The good news is that within a few days I was fine again. And now I'm dropping piles of weight.

Basically, you can eat more carbs and go back to burning sugar for fuel, or you can tough it out and go into ketosis and start burning fat for fuel. What's more than likely happening right now is that your body is starving for sugar because that is what it burns for fuel. When you say no and give it fat instead, at first it doesn't know what to do. Your blood sugar drops due to lack of sugar, so it burns up all the glycogen in your liver. Then the glycogen is gone. Then the misery begins until your body says "FINE, WHATEVER, I'LL MAKE MY OWN FUEL" and starts burning fat.

Or at least that is how it has gone for me twice now. All I know is that when I don't give into the cravings and I force myself down into ketosis, I lose weight, and when I eat any sugar I come back out of ketosis and don't lose any weight.

Everyone is different, though.

_-J o u r n a l_--------- ---- ---- --- --- -- -- -

Comment

I agree with gravyboat that ketosis is something that you should either really go for it or decide not to and stay higher carb. I think a lot of people who say they went low carb and felt horrible were just on that borderline with a very confused metabolism as the outcome. Ketosis is a great way to lose some serious pounds but you have to go for it consistently for a long enough time frame.

Comment

Originally posted by solstice View Post
                              Cool Leslie---we're about the same helght/weight! I get the lightheadedness when my carbs are too low. I usually up them a bit the next day and feel better...one day below 50, one day above. I've only REALLY been tracking for a week or so---but been eating primal for awhile. What is your goal weight? My lowest weight ever was 118 and that was back in my juicing days....felt too thin though. 125 would be lovely for me though! best of luck!
                              125 is my goal, but I'd really like to get rid of my little fat deposits.

Comment

Working...
                              X