Inulin in stevia?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inulin in stevia?

My stevia powder is 5% inulin. I know it's a natural product, but not a whole food. Is it any good?
    well then

No. Ditch it if you want to be paleo. Grok didn't sweeten food with powder. What do you use it for?

Comment

Originally posted by KathyH View Post
      No. Ditch it if you want to be paleo. Grok didn't sweeten food with powder. What do you use it for?
      I get what you're saying. I make my own ice cream about once a month. I always sweeten it with honey. But I don't really the like the taste of honey in ice cream.
      I'm not planning on using stevia as a food. just as an alternative to other rarely used sweeteners.
      But if it's no good, I'd like to know why
      well then

Comment

If you use it occasionally it's OK. The reason I said ditch it completely is because no matter what sweetener you use you are basically stimulating your pleasure receptors which do not tell you what is nutritionally good or bad. Think about it, it is a synthetic, highly processed product. It is basically a food additive.

Comment

Originally posted by KathyH View Post
          If you use it occasionally it's OK. The reason I said ditch it completely is because no matter what sweetener you use you are basically stimulating your pleasure receptors which do not tell you what is nutritionally good or bad. Think about it, it is a synthetic, highly processed product. It is basically a food additive.
          Yup, I know. but I'm trying to find the "best" sweetener, which means it tastes as neutral as possible and is the healthiest option available. I think Stevia + a little Inulin is better than white sugar? I'm also considering coconut sugar...
          well then

Comment

If your only using it for ocasional ice cream making, why not grow your own stevia and just blend up some leaves to add to your 'scream mix when needed?
            Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Gadsie View Post
              Yup, I know. but I'm trying to find the "best" sweetener, which means it tastes as neutral as possible and is the healthiest option available. I think Stevia + a little Inulin is better than white sugar? I'm also considering coconut sugar...
              Yes, it's better than white sugar. I don't know about coconut sugar but date sugar works for me, but it's not neutral tasting, it does have some date taste and it doesn't really dissolve like white sugar because it's just dates ground or powdered and you can even make it yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by DinoHunter View Post
                If your only using it for ocasional ice cream making, why not grow your own stevia and just blend up some leaves to add to your 'scream mix when needed?
                This sounds like a good idea!

Comment

Originally posted by DinoHunter View Post
                  That's a good one, but does it require a certain climate? I live in the Netherlands... horrible weather, only a 2-3 months of warmth
                  well then

Comment

I don't think liquid stevia has inulin so you could try that instead. I think it's just the powdered/granulated stevia that has it because I get the little tablets that you put in coffee and they don't have inulin. It basically just bulks it up because stevia's so sweet.

Comment

Originally posted by Ribbons View Post
                      I don't think liquid stevia has inulin so you could try that instead. I think it's just the powdered/granulated stevia that has it because I get the little tablets that you put in coffee and they don't have inulin. It basically just bulks it up because stevia's so sweet.
                      the liquid ones I can find have glycerine. No idea what that is but it's also in my soap so I'm not gonna eat that. I ordered some pure stevia on the internet but I'm impatient because my ice cream maker is ready NOW so I want to try it
                      well then

Comment

That's a good one, but does it require a certain climate? I live in the Netherlands... horrible weather, only a 2-3 months of warmth
                        I seem to remember my mom growing it when we lived in Canada. Kept on a windowsill in a pot & it did fine...
                        Probably wouldent be able to grow it outside though..
                        Last edited by DinoHunter; 07-14-2012, 06:40 AM. Reason: stupied keyboard skipping letters
                        Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

the liquid ones I can find have glycerine. No idea what that is but it's also in my soap so I'm not gonna eat that. I ordered some pure stevia on the internet but I'm impatient because my ice cream maker is ready NOW so I want to try it
                          I don't know what glycerine is but inulin is a type of soluble fibre so it won't hurt you if you're only using it once a month.

Comment

You know what else you could try? Soak dates (about 12-15) in fresh coconut water for about 2-3hrs and you will end up with a very sweet nectar that you can just sweeten things with. I do that and love it. You can keep it in a fridge up to 2 weeks.

Comment

Working...
                            X