Lumpy cream

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lumpy cream

I've been buying cream at my local farmer's market. For some reason, the cream always gets lumpy after a couple days. Like there will be one big, Greek yogurt-textured lump in the bottle. If I can avoid pouring the lump into my coffee, the rest of the cream is fine. Anyone had this problem before? What's going on?

it's self-churning to butter! seriously, let your nose be your guide. if it smells okay, it's okay.

Comment

Raw cream has a tendency to do this more than pasteurized but it's not bad. As jakey said, "the nose knows".

Comment

Originally posted by jakey View Post
        it's self-churning to butter! seriously, let your nose be your guide. if it smells okay, it's okay.
        Ah! So that's it. And the more lumpy it gets, the more I shake it up. LOL
        Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
          Raw cream has a tendency to do this more than pasteurized but it's not bad. As jakey said, "the nose knows".
          Yeah, my cream is lower-temp pasteurized, whereas the few times I've bought conventional cream its never happened.

Anyway, thanks for the info everyone.

Comment

For a second, the thread title gave me the heebie-jeebies, thinking how painful that would be for the poor man.
            5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

Originally posted by oxide View Post
              For a second, the thread title gave me the heebie-jeebies, thinking how painful that would be for the poor man.
              Oooooh gurrrrrrrrrl, you so NASTY!

In other news - when my family and I went to England when I was ten, I was ENTHRALLED with the
              heavy cream there.

The fact that *IT* was in those little single serve plastic pour thingies instead of
              stupid ass half and half.

I had learned earlier, that year, in the 4th grade that if you shake heavy cream,
              it will turn to butter...

So, the ENTIRE time we were there, 10 days, I would plague my mother and father
              (who were divorced 4yrs but still friends...... apropos of nothing, but I *am* the queen
              of nonsequiturs, so sue me) every time they had coffee: "if I shake this, will it turn to
              butter? if I shake this, will it turn to butter? will it? will it? will it?"

Say this twenty times, three times a day, really fast and excitedly...... It's almost as
              annoying as "are we there yet?!!!"

So anyway, they said yes, but not to do it because it would be too embarrassing
              to have their 10yo daughter sitting there at the table, in England, shaking up creamers.

SO! When we got home, and I went to my dad's house the next weekend, the man obliged
              me (cuz I always get my way with daddy... even now at 43), got me a half pint of heavy cream
              a glass jar, some salt, dumped it in, put on the lid and I shook that mofo for a good long time
              until, guess what - that's right, it was a big ol' blob of butter.

So, there's my story no one asked for.

Tra la la la la la la.

Back to the loony bin,

Julie

Comment

Julie, if you drop that jar of cream, all 2 litres of it, it makes a HUGE mess. Ask me how I know But gosh, when you don't drop it, it is the best tasting butter ever!

Comment

Two liters? Holy effballs! You Krazy with a K!

And, yes, I agree, it WAS/IS the best tasting butter on the planet.

Comment

You guys just made my night . Now to go get me some heavy cream...
                    Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

Evolution Revolution Fitness

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

-Ayn Rand

Comment

I was only 8!

Comment

Originally posted by Bron View Post
                        I was only 8!
                        And your parents mortgaged the house to get you TWO LITERS?!?!?!?!

Wow, I have to tell my father how cheap ass he was and STAT. Tee hee!

Comment

Originally posted by jakey View Post
                          Yep!

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                          And... BINGO!

I get raw, local, grassfed cream... it does try to 'butter' itself... but OMG is it delicious... and NOT white.
                          Shaking the jar is just asking for it to get stickier and start to be butter... Roll the jar gently to mix.
                          I say jar, because mine comes in mason jars...
                          Or stir it with a spoon or something.
                          Just be gentle.

And like jakey said, as king as it smells good, it's fine. Use the lump!
                          “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                          ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                          And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Working...
                          X