Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've FINALLY broken through my weight/fat loss plateau!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I've FINALLY broken through my weight/fat loss plateau!!

    You know what I discovered? Calories count!! I stalled in Dec., and even gained 4-5 lbs. (on a very small frame), and I tried everything I could think of, cutting out nuts, leptin reset, IF, etc., and nothing helped. Then I discovered Leangains (I'd already been lifting heavy and IFing) which introduced me to carb cycling and forced me to take an honest look at the calories I was consuming, and to count them and plan for them. It's been only two weeks, and I've dropped 5 lbs. and more importantly, lost 2 inches on my belly, and have an almost flat tummy, and visible abs starting to form! Amazing! I just wanted to share this, because I bought into the whole "as long as I'm eating Paleo foods and lots of fat and low carbs, calories don't matter and there's no way I can gain fat", and based on my experience it's not true. Ladies, I am 47 years old, have 4 kids, and am losing belly fat, it can be done, but you have to track what you are eating honestly, and you cannot overeat, even good Paleo foods and fats. (Steps down from soapbox)

  • #2
    Thanks for posting this. I've been at a standstill for about 6 months, gaining and losing the same 3 lbs. I've tried IF, I've cut out nuts, fruit, dairy and nothing has helped. I just started calorie counting as well, hopefully it will work as well for me as it did for you.
    F 45 5'5"
    SW 177
    CW 141

    Comment


    • #3
      It's true, and a good reminder. Can you tell us what your calorie and carb levels are? Obviously we're all different but it's always helpful to get ideas and perspective from others. Congrats on breaking through your plateau.

      Comment


      • #4
        Congratulations! I'm at a plateau myself... Like McJess asked, could you please post what your calorie and carb levels are for a normal day? Also, how much fat and protein do you eat? It does help to get perspectives from others!

        You mentioned leangains. Could you tell me more about that or what exactly it is? Congrats again on breaking your plateau. That's awesome!

        Comment


        • #5
          That's really awesome, congrats!!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by spincycle View Post
            You know what I discovered? Calories count!! I stalled in Dec., and even gained 4-5 lbs. (on a very small frame), and I tried everything I could think of, cutting out nuts, leptin reset, IF, etc., and nothing helped. Then I discovered Leangains (I'd already been lifting heavy and IFing) which introduced me to carb cycling and forced me to take an honest look at the calories I was consuming, and to count them and plan for them. It's been only two weeks, and I've dropped 5 lbs. and more importantly, lost 2 inches on my belly, and have an almost flat tummy, and visible abs starting to form! Amazing! I just wanted to share this, because I bought into the whole "as long as I'm eating Paleo foods and lots of fat and low carbs, calories don't matter and there's no way I can gain fat", and based on my experience it's not true. Ladies, I am 47 years old, have 4 kids, and am losing belly fat, it can be done, but you have to track what you are eating honestly, and you cannot overeat, even good Paleo foods and fats. (Steps down from soapbox)
            Huzzah! I like rational thought!!!

            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread24580.html

            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29501.html
            Last edited by Paleobird; 07-12-2012, 02:57 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              I'm so glad you discovered this! It works great once you find the right balance!

              Comment


              • #8
                I'd be curious to see the differences that you made. Was it strictly amounts or did you do something different? A comparison of "before" and "after" meals would be great.
                Apathy is tyranny's greatest ally.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Here are my calorie and macro goals, I'm on a cut to lose fat so I eat at a calorie deficit on rest days (my Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) is calculated at 1586 calories daily, I'm very small though, 4'10" and currently 105 lbs. Per the LeanGains protocol, rest days I eat 1237 calories, low carb (30g, 10%, 119 cal)/high fat (76g, 55%, 683 cal) and workout days (very heavy lifting) I eat 1586 calories, high carb (204g, 51.5%, 817 cal)/low fat (37g, 21%, 333 cal). Protein is kept the same both days and is fairly high since I'm trying to build muscle (109 g, 436 cal). Here's the IF calculator I used: IF Calculator
                  Most of the information is on Martin Berkhan's site leangains.com, it was confusing for me to navigate and there's so much info. to wade through, but this might be a good place to start to get an overview.
                  Leigh Peele Blog Archive Martin Berkhan And Intermittent Fasting: Interview
                  And although he doesn't believe you need to be Paleo or Primal, I am Primal and get my carbs from starchy tubers, mostly sweet potatoes, and squashes and some white rice.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by spincycle; 07-12-2012, 04:45 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by KestrelSF View Post
                    I'd be curious to see the differences that you made. Was it strictly amounts or did you do something different? A comparison of "before" and "after" meals would be great.
                    Two things are very different, 1. calorie amounts (I'm eating at a deficit now, 1237 on rest days, 1586 on workout days. I never calculated calories before, so I don't know for sure, but I'd estimate it used to be 1800+ daily, and 2. carb cycling, much higher carbs and lower fat on workout days and low carbs and higher fat on rest days.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I believe I am finally thinking rationally after getting drawn in by thinking I could eat all I wanted as long as it was Primal food. I was really searching for the magic bullet and the outlier explanation about why I'd stalled, when the answer is pretty simple. I think I didn't want to face up to the fact that there is no free lunch so to speak, and that I was going to have to control my caloric intake, something I really didn't want to do. I am not analytical, and I really don't like tracking macros and calories, but I have to if I'm going to reach my goals.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by spincycle View Post
                        I believe I am finally thinking rationally after getting drawn in by thinking I could eat all I wanted as long as it was Primal food. I was really searching for the magic bullet and the outlier explanation about why I'd stalled, when the answer is pretty simple. I think I didn't want to face up to the fact that there is no free lunch so to speak, and that I was going to have to control my caloric intake, something I really didn't want to do. I am not analytical, and I really don't like tracking macros and calories, but I have to if I'm going to reach my goals.
                        Mark did a post called "17 reasons why you are not losing weight", number eight of which was "You're eating too much". It was the ultimate pacepalm "Duh" moment. As soon as I cut the calories the scale started moving downward again.

                        I think there is an element of magical thinking involved in the "throw away your scale, eat lots of bacon, and be happy" diet. Then there are the countless "why isn't it working?" threads by people eating this way.

                        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/17-re...#axzz20SORcLhP
                        Last edited by Paleobird; 07-12-2012, 05:15 PM. Reason: add link

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by spincycle View Post
                          Here are my calorie and macro goals, I'm on a cut to lose fat so I eat at a calorie deficit on rest days (my Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) is calculated at 1586 calories daily, I'm very small though, 4'10" and currently 105 lbs. Per the LeanGains protocol, rest days I eat 1237 calories, low carb (30g, 10%, 119 cal)/high fat (76g, 55%, 683 cal) and workout days (very heavy lifting) I eat 1586 calories, high carb (204g, 51.5%, 817 cal)/low fat (37g, 21%, 333 cal). Protein is kept the same both days and is fairly high since I'm trying to build muscle (109 g, 436 cal). Here's the IF calculator I used: IF Calculator
                          Most of the information is on Martin Berkhan's site leangains.com, it was confusing for me to navigate and there's so much info. to wade through, but this might be a good place to start to get an overview.
                          Leigh Peele Blog Archive Martin Berkhan And Intermittent Fasting: Interview
                          And although he doesn't believe you need to be Paleo or Primal, I am Primal and get my carbs from starchy tubers, mostly sweet potatoes, and squashes and some white rice.
                          Do you do any cardio? if so do you eat high carbs on those days as well? I haven't hit a plateau yet but I might try this carb and calorie cyling once I stop losing. I don't have much to lose but that last 7 lbs can be a bit harder to lose.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Honestly, I think you can eat as much as you want. But it requires adjusting that idea of why you want to eat as much as you are in the first place. I think its a matter of re-learning nutritional values subconsciously. Caloric density is totally out of whack from a SAD way of eating, and so you end up trying to fill a plate the same size, not because you actually need it or want it, but because that's just the way its always been.

                            Even when IFing, people seem to want huge meals on either side, as if to "prepare" themselves. When really, it should be about learning what your hunger feels like, and how much you actually need to eat. And trying to build muscle doesn't help either, because then you get into a "gotta build muscle! Gotta eat meat!" and then you're just totally screwing with things. You're anticipating what your body will need rather than responding to what it actually needs.

                            Not only that, but at least in spincycle's case, it sounds like she was already a pretty low bodyfat %. "Ideal weight" for 4'10 woman with a small frame is like 89-99 pounds. But if she can do "very heavy lifting", then she's probably got a decent bit of muscle on her, which totally skews that.
                            SW: 324.6 ----- CW: 310
                            Primal Journal

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by cayla29s View Post
                              Do you do any cardio? if so do you eat high carbs on those days as well? I haven't hit a plateau yet but I might try this carb and calorie cyling once I stop losing. I don't have much to lose but that last 7 lbs can be a bit harder to lose.
                              I do spin one day a week to keep hubby company, I consider that a rest day, so low carb, low cal, high fat. And I will say I was ok with my weight before I embarked on this two weeks ago, but I really wanted to lose the belly fat, the only place I'm not lean. Maybe I'll decide that I'm happier not tracking and eating what I want within a Primal framework and accepting the belly, because it really takes a lot for most women to reach the flat belly/visible abs stage. So like you, I don't have much to lose, but it's going to take extraordinary measures to lose it.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X