Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How are traditional Irish meals?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by Primal Pamme View Post
    Don't label yourself as a hard gainer yet. Wait another 5 years or so to when your hormones have settled to put yourself in a box.
    Actually, you can 'box' a person when they are infants. Ectomorphs have certain things that are really common in the body type, and it's there all growing up. And, most people are running on the spectrum, anyway, but Gadsie sits at a pretty classic ectomorphic body type.

    And yes, he will be changing and getting more manly as the hormones flow. but my husband was an ectomorph as a boy, a teen, and a man. his needs for how food and exercise work have not changed. Problem is, he was trained like a mesomorph for most of his life, which lead him to be *skinnier* than he needed to be. That is, he was over-trained, and the body couldn't hold weight because of it. When trained properly, ectomorphs do grow and look less "ecto-y" but they're always ectomorphs.

    And looking at pictures of this kid. He's *classic* ectomorph in a LOT of ways. And yes, he will look more manly the older he gets.

    Just a more manly ectomorph.

    I don't see you so much as entitled as a bit clueless and maybe worrying about things that really aren't that important (borrowing trouble is how my Grandma put it), but what 15 year old doesn't do this? Heck, I know men of many ages who are both clueless and worry too much about little things. I have a feeling the standard for travel in your country is a bit different than it is for those of us in the States. Calling you entitled is like calling a kid who won't eat his spinach entitled because there are starving kids in Africa. That you are so concerned about your health and committed to eating Paleo that you pay for your own food flies in the face of the entitlement theory that has been accepted as fact by several posters.

    Have fun on your trips. Just like the rest of us, you have a lot to learn.
    I agree with this. I would also suggest that Gadsie struggles with anxiety (also common for ectomorphs).

    My husband, also an ectomorph, could have written this *exact* same post when he was 17 and going to Germany for 3 weeks with his school on his parent's dime. It was generous of them to send him (considering they weren't high income people), and of course he was thankful to go.

    But, he was anxious about food and exercise. At the time, a distance runner on pritikin, he was terrified of being fed traditional german foods (sausages! oh no!) and not being able to run every day.

    Of course, he was able to run every day, and he was fed beautiful food with no issue, though he did refuse sausages and butter. Everything else he ate. And he was a skinny, anxious, annoying little over-trained teenager.

    But, lovable too.

    I feel that getting nasty with someone who has anxiety about these sorts of things is just not nice. Particularly when we -- the grown ups on the forum -- should have enough life experience to simply go "wow, this person is a teen ager" or "wow, this person seem to have some anxiety" rather than "Entitled brat!"

    You know, becuase we're more mature and all.

    Comment


    • #47
      Gadsie, you should be grateful that you have the opportunity to travel but I can completely understand why you're worried about the food. I hate being in situations where I don't have control over what I eat. I even avoid going to friends' houses for longer than a couple of hours because I don't want the pressure of being offered food but I don't want to offend them or make them think I think I'm too good for them. Everyone on this thread who's been bitchy to you obviously doesn't understand what it's like so they shouldn't comment.

      And +1 to what zoebird said.

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by Gadsie View Post
        Yeah I was mainly worried about destroying months of work, but that's cool now I guess. I won't stress about the food though I will bring my own butter because I don't see a reason why not
        Are you listening to the advice people gave you? I live in Dublin, you do not need to bring butter. Ireland is famous for its grass fed cattle and we have some of the best dairy and meat products in the world. You can get salted or unsalted butter, organic too if you like. My favourite brand is a farmhouse butter called Cuinneog, it is delicious. We are also famous for our salmon, organic salmon is readily available as is wild salmon.

        Our fruit and veg is excellent too. We don't put them through the same processes I hear they use in the USA.

        And remember your body is your gym, you don't need to use equipment to keep active and strong.

        Oh and by the way - YOU'RE WELCOME. Next time someone gives you advice, please acknowledge it and say thank you. I don't want to berate you, I'm sure you're a good kid but you didn;t thank me when I gave you advice a few pages back and that doesn't help your reputation as a spoilt brat (which I don;t hink you are but any way) Tog go bog é agus go n-éirí an bothár leat. (Take it easy and may the roads rise with you)
        Last edited by HazelPrimalNut; 07-18-2012, 01:35 AM.

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by HazelPrimalNut View Post
          Are you listening to the advice people gave you? I live in Dublin, you do not need to bring butter. Ireland is famous for its grass fed cattle and we have some of the best dairy and meat products in the world. You can get salted or unsalted butter, organic too if you like. My favourite brand is a farmhouse butter called Cuinneog, it is delicious. We are also famous for our salmon, organic salmon is readily available as is wild salmon.

          Our fruit and veg is excellent too. We don't put them through the same processes I hear they use in the USA.

          And remember your body is your gym, you don't need to use equipment to keep active and strong.

          Oh and by the way - YOU'RE WELCOME. Next time someone gives you advice, please acknowledge it and say thank you. I don't want to berate you, I'm sure you're a good kid but you didn;t thank me when I gave you advice a few pages back and that doesn't help your reputation as a spoilt brat (which I don;t hink you are but any way) Tog go bog é agus go n-éirí an bothár leat. (Take it easy and may the roads rise with you)
          I have no doubt Ireland has great healthy foods. But I also have no doubt that Ireland has aweful bad foods as well, like every other country.
          I will no longer about the week, not because I don't care, but because there not much to do about it. If I have to eat fries all week long then so be it.

          And I'm sorry, I didn't see your advice, I'll look it up
          well then

          Comment


          • #50
            zoebird, thanks for your posts, There is not much to add, but thank you
            well then

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by Gadsie View Post
              I have no doubt Ireland has great healthy foods. But I also have no doubt that Ireland has aweful bad foods as well, like every other country.
              I will no longer about the week, not because I don't care, but because there not much to do about it. If I have to eat fries all week long then so be it.

              And I'm sorry, I didn't see your advice, I'll look it up
              Oh and quick tip - we don't call them fries over here. We call them chips. And we call chips crisps. Enjoy!

              Comment


              • #52
                I've just realised you're from Holland! I thought you were American. I'm going to Holland on my hols in October. I know you guys love your dairy, hence you being the tallest nation in the world. Love your cheeses.

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by HazelPrimalNut View Post
                  Oh and quick tip - we don't call them fries over here. We call them chips. And we call chips crisps. Enjoy!
                  Yeah that still gets me confused.. and Pudding.. everything is pudding... including stuff thats not pudding... like black pudding (tip.. NOT A DESSERT!)
                  Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

                  http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by HazelPrimalNut View Post
                    I've just realised you're from Holland! I thought you were American. I'm going to Holland on my hols in October. I know you guys love your dairy, hence you being the tallest nation in the world. Love your cheeses.
                    Cool! Where in holland are you going? And yeah, cheese here is great however cheese without tons of additives becomes harder and harder to find
                    well then

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by DinoHunter View Post
                      Yeah that still gets me confused.. and Pudding.. everything is pudding... including stuff thats not pudding... like black pudding (tip.. NOT A DESSERT!)
                      No - that is Britain especially England. We say dessert in Ireland. We do say black pudding though, cause that's real pudding and sooooo delicious but unfortunately not very primal

                      @Gadsie - I'm being very boring and going to Amsterdam. Have been to Holland before and I love the cycling everywhere, very healthy alternative mode of transport. Can't believe the cheese is full of additives, while Ireland does have it's problems with "plastic cheese" most of what we have is the good stuff. In fact we do love out cheese and most supermarkets have a great selection of aged cheese with no additives. Yum!

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Aaaahhh.....Zoebird.....how rejuvinating to see some compassion on this forum. A beautiful and articulate response to our responsibility as members to others struggling with whatever it is they choose to share about here.

                        Gadsie - I see your butter as a security blanket, if it relieves your anxiety to take it with you then go for it. My mammy is Irish, who knows what you'll be eating, but I grew up on meat in various forms and potatoes in many forms. What she can't do with a potato isn't worth knowing. I hope you have a good trip, you might find you are more resourceful and adaptable than you think, I look forward to knowing how you coped.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by Sihana
                          Seriously, Lay off him.

                          First, you all need to realize that Gadsie is living in a different culture than most of us. The majority of us are Americans, and will never experience such. In Europe, if I recall correctly, it is quite common to have additional schooling in other countries. He is not spoiled; he is experiencing a normal thing.

                          Second, would you really tell someone who is at the most important growing time of their life to go ahead and "eat whatever?" You all should know how food changes genetic expression, and his hormones are already in pure chaos! In addition, as Zoebird mentioned, he has a different body type than most people have, which changes the rules completely. Also, he WANTS to eat well! Praise such ambition, for it is rare that a teen cares about their own health in such a way. He is taking the high road, while many of us sure as hell failed in our teenage years. How many times did we give into the pizza and snacks, even though we knew they were bad for us?

                          Third, I do not know about any of you, but if I eat anything non strict, I get sick. I get bloated, my mood and personality changes, and I break out. In more severe cases, I experience bone pain and extreme fatigue to the point where walking is a chore.

                          A great deal of you turned this thread into a flame-fest, and that is something that we are trying to avoid here at these forums. This should be a safe haven, where you can ask questions, and get thoughtful responses without any of the BS.




                          Gasie, as Lewis said, Irish traditional diet is close to primal. If you can, explain clearly and precisely to your host family your needs and your goals. You desire to stick close to traditional samplings. If they have any Irish pride left, they will do their best to help you. Do not worry about butter, Kerrygold in Ireland is superb. Vegetables will be plentiful. You will likely be able to go to market every day and get fresh items.

                          By the way, I saw your squat video. Good job on your health; you are looking better than when you first posted your picture months ago. Your confidence seems to be improving too, and your anxiety lessening, without harming your insatiable curiosity.
                          Thanks I'm looking forward to ireland.
                          And feel a lot healthier as well
                          well then

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            here

                            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57035.html

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X