X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zoebird View Post
    I have to agree with fuzzy logic.

When I'm overseas, I eat what I can find, what is served, and I don't worry a bit about my diet. It's a privilege to be able to travel, so stop obsessing and go enjoy yourself.
    Yeah I will, it's just that I don't want my gym work to go to waste, especially because I will come back, be home for a week or so, leave again for a week, be home for a week again and leave for another week.
    well then

Comment

Originally posted by Gadsie View Post
      Yeah I will, it's just that I don't want my gym work to go to waste, especially because I will come back, be home for a week or so, leave again for a week, be home for a week again and leave for another week.
      Wow, you are so lucky you get to travel that much and see all those interesting countries and their cultures. You know how many kids your age would envy you?
      Just do some hardcore workout in the week in between your travels and relax and enjoy life when you are away. Muscles only grow if they get restitution you know. A carbload may even improve your results... See it as an experiment

Traveling should be about expanding your horizons and get memories for life. Not obsessing over not getting enough protein or being negative towards the people who are hosting you and inviting you into their homes.
      Be adventurous and I hope you have fun!
      Take a walk on the wild side.

Comment

Originally posted by ToldUzo View Post
        Wow, you are so lucky you get to travel that much and see all those interesting countries and their cultures. You know how many kids your age would envy you?
        Just do some hardcore workout in the week in between your travels and relax and enjoy life when you are away. Muscles only grow if they get restitution you know. A carbload may even improve your results... See it as an experiment

Traveling should be about expanding your horizons and get memories for life. Not obsessing over not getting enough protein or being negative towards the people who are hosting you and inviting you into their homes.
        Be adventurous and I hope you have fun!
        The reason I worry is because eversince I was 10 or so I have been trying to build muscle by pullups and pushups, without the slightest success. Now I joined a gym and started starting strenghth and after 4 months I think i gained 1-2 lbs of muscle only. So even the least amount of muscle loss would mean going back 2 months in the program..
        But someone else said hardgainers maintain muscle easier so I hooe that's true
        well then

Comment

The reason I worry is because eversince I was 10 or so I have been trying to build muscle by pullups and pushups, without the slightest success. Now I joined a gym and started starting strenghth and after 4 months I think i gained 1-2 lbs of muscle only. So even the least amount of muscle loss would mean going back 2 months in the program..
          But someone else said hardgainers maintain muscle easier so I hooe that's true
          Not many 10 year old kids gain a lot of muscle even when trying. Their bodys are growing end developing instead.. But now that you are older the more testosterone makes it easier for you to grow muscle. So don't worry that much about your few weeks of travels.

Comment

Well, I think I'll stomp past the mob of angry people berating this "sploit" child and give some genuine advice.

A week or two of not lifting should not make any noticeable difference. You really do not need that much protein to maintain muscle while eating at maintenance or a caloric surplus. If you get more than 100 gm per day of protein during this week or two, you should have no problems maintaining your muscle.

If I were in this situation, I would say I had a gluten allergy. (which I actually do, but that's beside the point) I would make up some excuse to bring and cooking fat and have them use it. "This tallow was rendered by 5 year old dying from leukemia, as a gift for you." I probably wouldn't go through all that trouble, though...sounds like the Irish like their Kerrygold.

Don't worry about minor offenders like corn, brown rice, beans, etc. Not that you'll have to worry about those foods because from my limited knowledge of the Irish people, they aren't chomping down on brown rice and beans. Potatoes are fine, have as many as you want. Actually, what you really need to do is just find an excuse for everything you can't eat.

Yet, when it is all said and done, considering you have no negative reactions to these unhealthy foods, the difference between eating soybean covered wheat flakes in soy milk or a standard primal food for a week won't mean shit.

Comment

Originally posted by SteakNchop View Post
              Well, I think I'll stomp past the mob of angry people berating this "sploit" child and give some genuine advice.

A week or two of not lifting should not make any noticeable difference. You really do not need that much protein to maintain muscle while eating at maintenance or a caloric surplus. If you get more than 100 gm per day of protein during this week or two, you should have no problems maintaining your muscle.

If I were in this situation, I would say I had a gluten allergy. (which I actually do, but that's beside the point) I would make up some excuse to bring and cooking fat and have them use it. "This tallow was rendered by 5 year old dying from leukemia, as a gift for you." I probably wouldn't go through all that trouble, though...sounds like the Irish like their Kerrygold.

Don't worry about minor offenders like corn, brown rice, beans, etc. Not that you'll have to worry about those foods because from my limited knowledge of the Irish people, they aren't chomping down on brown rice and beans. Potatoes are fine, have as many as you want. Actually, what you really need to do is just find an excuse for everything you can't eat.

Yet, when it is all said and done, considering you have no negative reactions to these unhealthy foods, the difference between eating soybean covered wheat flakes in soy milk or a standard primal food for a week won't mean shit.
              Yeah I was mainly worried about destroying months of work, but that's cool now I guess. I won't stress about the food though I will bring my own butter because I don't see a reason why not
              well then

Comment

Yeah I was mainly worried about destroying months of work, but that's cool now I guess. I won't stress about the food though I will bring my own butter because I don't see a reason why not
                Butter is the least thing you need to bring to Ireland, haha:
                Kerrygold Butter, Kerrygold Cheese, kerrygold Recipes, Products and Much More |*Kerrygold Ireland (Intl)

Comment

Because for the most part, the butter over here is as good & why use up luggage space on something thats likely to get you strip searched & probed in customs?
                  Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by DinoHunter View Post
                    Because for the most part, the butter over here is as good & why use up luggage space on something thats likely to get you strip searched & probed in customs?
                    Seriously - I come from a country where no food stuffs are allowed to be brought in. If you do, you get sniffer dogs corner you, and huge fines. Let the selfish, self-absorbed teenager get strip searched - he might learn a life lesson.

Why does he think the butter he is going to take with him, is somehow better than Ireland's anyway? The superiority complex needs adjusting...

Comment

Where did I say dutch butter is better than Irish butter? I don't care. But I'm sure vegetable is present in ireland
                      well then

Comment

And no, my parents won't buy me goji berries. Well they would, but no meat and eggs. They will pay pasta, bread etc if I want that. Also they will pay vegetables and fruit. But I have to work to earn money to pay meat, eggs and other stuff they think is unhealthy.
                        I have to be at school at 8.20, free at 3.10PM, start working at 4 to 7. So I probably "work" (+ school) longer days than a lot of you. At least compared to the working hours most people do where I live
                        well then

Comment

The post by Steaknchop they're referring to was very tongue-in-cheek. Please disregard these peoples' immaturity. In response to your question - yes, a week or two weeks won't be much in the long run of your life, however if I was doing such a trip I would want to feel my best the whole time, I can understand your wanting to stay primal. For breakfast, see if you can buy a lot of full fat yogurt to keep in the fridge, or boil a lot of eggs at a time and eat them in the mornings. I wouldn't go cooking up a huge breakfast of bacon and eggs while your hosts eat porridge, but if you keep provisions in the fridge you can just go get them quietly. Definitely say you're allergic to wheat (and maybe corn). Don't worry about potatoes, they're a pretty good option.
                          If you have a few minutes- please take a look at my story, in my journal
                          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread87400.html
                          I do warn you, I am a copious writer.

Comment

If you get the chance to read stuff from Stuart McRobert (hard gainer method), you'll discover a thing called "cycling" -- and no, it's not about carbs or anything like that. it's how you design workouts into cycles of progressive strength gains (and with that, muscle development), and then how resting between cycles helps make the next cycle better (though you start back at a lower weight after reaching a max weight of the previous cycle -- that is to say, the weight that you lift, not the weight on your body per se).

My husband finished a cycle before our trip to Taupo. He had something like 14-15 days between workouts. No loss of real strength, leanness, or muscle mass. Ate a variety of foods, includnig "non-primal" ones. Everything was fine.

He's starting a new cycle now (in fact, did at this morning's workout). He only works out once a week, btw -- so far as LHT is concerned, as that's how your/his body type makes actual gains. and it's set to end in about 6 months or so when we're taking our summer (christmas) holiday. But, there might be a cycle end in October -- as cycles can be their own animals and work on different plans (that is, your body does over your head on what you think a cycle will look like -- but that's seriously advanced weight training stuff).

End of the day, taking a month off from lifting at the gym won't hurt you, and you'll be active and eating in other ways, and you're young yet, so you'll gain when you get back, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by zoebird View Post
                              If you get the chance to read stuff from Stuart McRobert (hard gainer method), you'll discover a thing called "cycling" -- and no, it's not about carbs or anything like that. it's how you design workouts into cycles of progressive strength gains (and with that, muscle development), and then how resting between cycles helps make the next cycle better (though you start back at a lower weight after reaching a max weight of the previous cycle -- that is to say, the weight that you lift, not the weight on your body per se).

My husband finished a cycle before our trip to Taupo. He had something like 14-15 days between workouts. No loss of real strength, leanness, or muscle mass. Ate a variety of foods, includnig "non-primal" ones. Everything was fine.

He's starting a new cycle now (in fact, did at this morning's workout). He only works out once a week, btw -- so far as LHT is concerned, as that's how your/his body type makes actual gains. and it's set to end in about 6 months or so when we're taking our summer (christmas) holiday. But, there might be a cycle end in October -- as cycles can be their own animals and work on different plans (that is, your body does over your head on what you think a cycle will look like -- but that's seriously advanced weight training stuff).

End of the day, taking a month off from lifting at the gym won't hurt you, and you'll be active and eating in other ways, and you're young yet, so you'll gain when you get back, etc.

Thanks, I will look into that
                              well then

Comment

Wow, just wow. I am new to these forums and I hope the off topic crap isn't typical.

OP, you are only 15 and it is kind of amazing that you have made the "gains" you have. Don't label yourself as a hard gainer yet. Wait another 5 years or so to when your hormones have settled to put yourself in a box. You are way ahead of a lot of other kids your age, because you are eating like you should. Give your body a chance to catch up. I work in a college and it is fun to watch those geeky kids come in all thin and gawky still looking like middle schoolers as freshmen and leave looking like men.

I am glad you are not going to worry about the food anymore, because at your age it won't matter. Just relax and enjoy the experience. For me, at almost 50, a week of crap food would mean a really bad kind of gain, but for you, it won't be a problem as long as you will be able to get back on the program when you are home.

I don't see you so much as entitled as a bit clueless and maybe worrying about things that really aren't that important (borrowing trouble is how my Grandma put it), but what 15 year old doesn't do this? Heck, I know men of many ages who are both clueless and worry too much about little things. I have a feeling the standard for travel in your country is a bit different than it is for those of us in the States. Calling you entitled is like calling a kid who won't eat his spinach entitled because there are starving kids in Africa. That you are so concerned about your health and committed to eating Paleo that you pay for your own food flies in the face of the entitlement theory that has been accepted as fact by several posters.

Have fun on your trips. Just like the rest of us, you have a lot to learn.

Comment

Working...
                                X