Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone interested in a paleo program geared towards young, social women?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TLoRu View Post
    I've seen this! She does seem pretty cool and I like her message of "modern paleo". The only other large site I've seen is "Paleo for Women" (that was just posted by Mark), but it has a more natural/earthy tone to it.

Comment

I love this idea.

I'm a good cook, and more knowledgeable about traditional preparation methods than almost everyone my age, but I still think there are specific challenges to being primal as a young, social person—moderating drinking (and preventing too much damage at bonding-y group drunk-food runs), making good choices at restaurants, planning and packing meals/snacks for long stretches out of the house, etc. Basically, these apply to anyone without a stable, home-based schedule, but I think younger, unmarried people are a higher proportion of that group. I also think that women (particularly young women?) are inclined to be vegetarians or eat red meat infrequently because we're sensitive to its image as "unfeminine," partially because we're likely to be diet-conscious in a CW sense. I'd definitely be up for talking about those challenges.
      Primal goals: metabolic health, vitality, strength, and maybe some weight loss wouldn't be amiss

My journal: eating-disordered fat woman takes up eating meat and lifting weights; hilarity ensues

Comment

Originally posted by nimiety View Post
        I love this idea.

I'm a good cook, and more knowledgeable about traditional preparation methods than almost everyone my age, but I still think there are specific challenges to being primal as a young, social person—moderating drinking (and preventing too much damage at bonding-y group drunk-food runs), making good choices at restaurants, planning and packing meals/snacks for long stretches out of the house, etc. Basically, these apply to anyone without a stable, home-based schedule, but I think younger, unmarried people are a higher proportion of that group. I also think that women (particularly young women?) are inclined to be vegetarians or eat red meat infrequently because we're sensitive to its image as "unfeminine," partially because we're likely to be diet-conscious in a CW sense. I'd definitely be up for talking about those challenges.
        Exactly! I see one major source of meat with this group: lean chicken breasts! Red meat is a rarity. And, yes, I think most have tried to go vegetarian at least once. Social balance needs to be addressed, and social perceptions of eating/what to eat/etc. for young women specifically IMO. It sounds crazy, but I think young women do (consciously/unconsciously) associate eating meat with being masculine. How do you break that perception? The easy answer is to show them how sexy you look after eating paleo - the problems I see are in getting this group to TRY it (regarding eating more meat, still being able to socialize and eat out, and actually cooking/planning for themselves). Any thoughts?

Comment

It's really more about wanting to learn how to cook. I'm a mid-20's female, and I grew up on frozen pizzas and hot dogs because our schedule with school and sports was so crazy. So fast food was convienant, and that's how most young people are growing up these days. They don't have sit down dinners at the dinner table with the family. They grab a $0.99 burger on their way to practice or take their frozen dinners in front of the tv.
          When I moved out, the only thing I really knew how to cook was spaghetti and meat sauce. Primal eating made me learn alot about cooking, and preparation - and also made me want to carve time out of my busy schedule to enjoy eating. Before it was just getting enough in to keep me going for the next few hours, or mindless snacking. Now, I know this food is to fuel me for a while, and while I'm completely satisfied, I can enjoy more social events without thinking about a quick snack on the way.

Just my opinion.

Comment

I can cook meat like a boss. If any ladies would like tutorials I will be happy to host classes at my house
            Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Good point croi... I think it stems from how you were brought up. My parents made it a point to eat dinner together each night. Regardless of what time we got home from soccer and baseball practice. For some people and families, that's just not how it works and convienient and SAD meals are what happens. I feel like now, most families have 2 working parents and the emphasis on family time is much lower, especially w social media all around us.

With that said, I didn't cook much in college at all and didn't really learn to cook well until I was out of the house living in my own place. I embraced the primal lifestyle and wanted a challenge in the kitchen.

Chocotaco, can't you tell you're surrounded by a bunch of bosses who can also cook meat

Comment

Originally posted by croí View Post
                It's really more about wanting to learn how to cook. I'm a mid-20's female, and I grew up on frozen pizzas and hot dogs because our schedule with school and sports was so crazy. So fast food was convienant, and that's how most young people are growing up these days. They don't have sit down dinners at the dinner table with the family. They grab a $0.99 burger on their way to practice or take their frozen dinners in front of the tv.
                When I moved out, the only thing I really knew how to cook was spaghetti and meat sauce. Primal eating made me learn alot about cooking, and preparation - and also made me want to carve time out of my busy schedule to enjoy eating. Before it was just getting enough in to keep me going for the next few hours, or mindless snacking. Now, I know this food is to fuel me for a while, and while I'm completely satisfied, I can enjoy more social events without thinking about a quick snack on the way.

Just my opinion.
                Thanks for your opinion! I agree- you definitely have to have the commitment before you start on this process, especially if you aren't used to cooking for yourself. Nigella Lawson made a great cookbook just about the basics (the first chapter is how to bake a chicken and make broth with the bones). However, I think there is a middle ground if you know HOW to eat out Paleo. I know there is a lot of crap food out there, but it would be nice to see a list of all the Paleo options at the usual chain restaurants. Anyone see anything like that?

Comment

And in the pursuit of equality and happiness -- I'd like to start a similar thread for 20+ men --- coach them on survival strategies in the kitchen :-) I've always had my kids in the kitchen from a young age and my 25 year old son just graduated as a chef from a culinary school. Whole food cooking has always been an important part of our lives. So...back to the young men...
                  ----------------------------------------
                  F, 48, 5'10"
                  Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
                  Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Comment

Originally posted by Louisa655 View Post
                    And in the pursuit of equality and happiness -- I'd like to start a similar thread for 20+ men --- coach them on survival strategies in the kitchen :-) I've always had my kids in the kitchen from a young age and my 25 year old son just graduated as a chef from a culinary school. Whole food cooking has always been an important part of our lives. So...back to the young men...
                    I'm in.

Also, for the 20-something women ... I think that eating red meat may look "unfeminine" to your girlfriends, but what I found is that the boys certainly think it's hot. Like knowing a good beer from a bad one and not being afraid to order one draws all sorts of nice male attention, I think that knowing what you like and what you want is sexy. The most feminine thing you can have is confidence in who you are and what you want! Your girlfriends will follow.

Comment

Very true. Nothing un-sexier than going on a date with someone who picks at their limp salad ---- Not attractive for females nor males.
                      ----------------------------------------
                      F, 48, 5'10"
                      Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
                      Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Comment

Working...
                      X