No announcement yet.

I am considering going full-on Paleo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have recently begun a challenge to do 30 days of quite strict paleo (I'm on day 5) and while the results haven't been overwhelming yet, which is to be expected, I think that I can feel some effects, especially on my blood sugar and hunger levels. If you decide to start, you should try to set yourself a fixed time horizon. Then you can always decide for yourself whether you want to continue afterwards - having the fixed horizon seems to make it easier to stick to the diet, I believe.

Comment

Check out this link on the difference between A1 vs. A2 casein:

http://naturalbias.com/a1-beta-casei...-in-your-milk/

I gave up gluten and dairy about 5 years ago, when the results of a stool test showed extremely high levels of antibodies against gluten and dairy, indicating my immune system was actively engaged in the digestion process. I continued to eat legumes, PUFAs, high levels of SFAs, and refined sugars...my MS symptoms were mild, but still occuring, which is what led me on a continued dietary search....
      J
      That led me to the Swank diet, which basically allows you to eat any kind of grains, sugars, and PUFAs are ok, but SFAs are the big devil - I had to keep under 15grams/day. In practice, I kept my saturated fat under 5grams most days, but did not eat any gluten, dairy or legumes. My MS symptoms did not return while eating this way, and I later discovered that my way of eating was basically the paleo diet.

I have been VERY CAUTIOUSLY increasing my saturated fat in the last months, so now I'm more primal than paleo, but still no dairy. Honestly, I'm really on the fence about that one. I can appreciate that fermented and raw dairy has some amazing benefits, but when I think about how unnatural consuming it is, I just can't accept that we are meant to consume it. I wouldn't consume breastmilk from a human, so I'm not sure why it's different if it comes from a different species. That being said, I totally get why other people consume it; the taste and texture are amazing.

So, I think I'm on the fence about paleo vs. Primal, too. I think that overall, I'm healthier having more quality saturated fat in my diet, but unfortunately that has also meant gaining fat; I can only lose fat if I eat low fat, regardless of carb and calorie levels.
      Last edited by BestBetter; 07-10-2012, 12:43 PM.

Comment

I say go for it.

For me, dairy (in the form of cheese and ice cream) is a rare treat. I do consume butter about 1-2x week, which I note doesn't cause any issues for me. But, I did make my eggs in bacon fat the other day, and then again in some duck fat -- since I was out of butter anyway -- and that worked nicely so I might switch over. (Just as long as it isn't coconut oil. I don't know how people cook with that stuff unless they are making thai, in which case, it makes sense flavor-wise.)

Already grain and legume free, so that's easy enough.
        Last edited by zoebird; 07-10-2012, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BestBetter View Post
          my immune system was actively engaged in the digestion process
          See, that's exactly the kind of thing I want to avoid. I suppose your immune system always has something to do with the foreign bodies you incorporate into your own, but anything over and above what it ought to be, would be ideally avoided.

I have no idea if my body reacts like that to milk or not. I am northern European so I have a long history of milk consumption one way or another. Loren Cordain seems to think that bad things happen to everybody who drinks milk. Even if the milk itself doesn't cause an immediate issue, I guess it weakens the gut so that other foods could cause problems. I really don't want that. I've noticed little autoimmune things at my age. A touch of arthritis in my fingers, frozen shoulder that went away, for instance.

We shall see if it is worth it. I managed to get through the day so far without any dairy and next week I am going on a trip so that should make it somewhat easier as I will be in the wilderness with all my food on my back, none of which is dairy.
          Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
            I think we should have sodas and ice cream while soaking in our ice baths. Wouldn't that be fun? I really think we have found the next Jack Kruse in this Peat character. I wonder how long this one will take to run its course.
            Lol (even though I'm guilty of continuing that thread )
            "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

It's probably best to avoid dairy if you feel it has nothing to offer you that you can't get from other foods and if you're not prepared to conduct strict experiments with different types of dairy.

The consensus is that A2 and organic grass-fed dairy are the most healthy.

Be aware that dairy can amplify autoimmune problems for which it's not a root cause. If that's the case for you, eliminating the root causes can allow you to enjoy many forms of dairy without negative effects, and with all the positives.
              F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Working...
              X