No announcement yet.

I am considering going full-on Paleo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My experience is similar to Cori's. The dairy issue is very complex. I eat more diary now than I did before I went primal. My post-nasal drip is no more. I've had to make other changes too in order to cure my chronic rhinitis.

I just learnt to avoid the factors in dairy that were contributing to it, and also healed my gut and chronic inflammation. I can now enjoy forms of dairy once a week or so that used to be associated with major symptoms previously.

The major factors in dairy that I'm aware of are casein type, histamine, lactose, pasteurisation.

ETA: I eat about 800 calories a day from dairy.
    Last edited by paleo-bunny; 07-09-2012, 01:32 PM. Reason: ETA
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

I hit a plateau and noticed that it occurred roughly around the time I started drinking milk again. I had gone from losing 2+ lbs/wk to up and down averaging out to nothing for about 10 days. I cut the dairy back out yesterday, and today I had dropped over 1lb. I've only being doing PB for about 5 wks so I'm still learning about my body, but that was the first time I'd plateaued for more than a couple of days at a time. Yes, I do weigh every day; while I'm making big changes in my diet it helps me keep track of what makes a difference and what doesn't. For example since I do weigh every day I found that popcorn does not affect my weight loss, but sugars and dairy seem to.

What is the big difference between Primal and paleo, anyway??
      ~Mollie

Started PB on Monday, June 4. I'm focusing on my health in 2012, including taking natural supplements, zumba and strength training, regular church attendance and studying the Bible, spending time with good friends, and reading more. I want to see what health milestones I can achieve this year!

Starting body fat - 41%
      Starting weight - 170 lbs
      9/4 body fat - 33%
      9/4 weight - 150 lbs

Comment

Bear in mind that dairy promotes muscle gain and gains in bone density, which can explain a healthy slow-down or stall in weightloss.

So it's only a potential problem if it induces a sustained plateau with regard to fat loss specifically.

Blinking heck - I'm sure popcorn would make me bloat if I ate corn again.
        F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

I would definitely consider giving up dairy. I had chronic sinusitis all through high school until a friend randomly mentioned milk could be a cause. It's been 8 years now and any time I try to introduce something with milk I get a sinus flare-up.

Comment

I think the big difference with primal and paleo is that paleo is ONLY meat, vegetables and fruit. No dairy, no beans/legumes, no grains not even rice and no white potatoes. Although in Cordain's latest book he does say in maybe one tiny sentence that tofu might be okay and in another that lentils are less offensive than other legumes, and in one more that rice is the least problematic of grains. But ideally, none, nada, zip. Paleo is also leaner than Primal and involves a lot more fish although Primal doesn't have any limits on fish itself.

What worried me about the milk was the description of the growth and other hormones and how they get into our bloodstream and are close enough to our own hormones that they both have a hormonal effect on us and also that they are just foreign enough that they can trigger auto-immune responses. I figure I live in a polluted enough world that I don't need any more endocrine disruptors if I can help it.
            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I still have butter and greek yoghurt but after quitting milk my post-nasal drip and acid reflux completely stopped within a few days!! I still have a bit of nasal stuffiness a few months into Primal but I think it is environmental allergies as I am strict most of the time.

Being stricter and consistently low-ish on the carbs has been a great kick-starter to weight loss for me, and apart from the occasional post-cheat bloated days which are a pain, I'm generally feeling a lot better - like I'm years younger!
              Start weight: 238 lbs (March 2012)
              Current weight: 205 lbs (July 2012)
              Loss so far: 33 lbs!!!
              WOE: Primal + IF
              Movements: Hiking, sprinting.
              Goal: to see my abs some time in 2013!

Comment

What worried me about the milk was the description of the growth and other hormones and how they get into our bloodstream and are close enough to our own hormones that they both have a hormonal effect on us and also that they are just foreign enough that they can trigger auto-immune responses. I figure I live in a polluted enough world that I don't need any more endocrine disruptors if I can help it.
                You get absolutely nothing to lose by trying. I know you are worried about coffee, but just try it weaker and black, perhaps? It might be easier than you think to get used to black coffee. Also, have you ever tried coffee with lemon?
                My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Originally posted by PrimallyJenna View Post
                  I would definitely consider giving up dairy. I had chronic sinusitis all through high school until a friend randomly mentioned milk could be a cause. It's been 8 years now and any time I try to introduce something with milk I get a sinus flare-up.
                  I had chronic sinusitis until I adopted a low histamine diet that virtually eliminated cow's dairy. I eat a load of goats' and sheeps' dairy now and can even tolerate the hard cheeses that are high in histamine, e.g. pecorino.

ETA: I had to tackle various other environmental factors though.
                  Last edited by paleo-bunny; 07-09-2012, 01:42 PM. Reason: ETA

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                    Has anyone here gotten stricter toward paleo and noticed any benefits?
                    Well I kind of did it in reverse. I started out strict at first and did great. When I start to let things in like "safe" starches and "safe" dairy products, progress grinds to a halt and starts to backslide.

Don't get me wrong, I love dairy. When I found raw dairy I thought this was the perfect way to have clear sinuses and milk too but there is just too much lactose involved. I still use butter and ghee but I'm cutting out the cream and yogurt. I'm drinking cultured Coconut milk for the probiotics.

I feel a "back to basics" move coming on in my world too. Back to the things we know work. I'm reading The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living by Phinney and Volek and finding it very informative. I really believe based on what I have read that there is a lot of mis-information and scare tactics out there saying that low carb is dangerous and "extreme".

Comment

What, no half gallon of OJ a day and some coca-colas to top it off Paleobird.
                      The insanity level around here sometimes...

Chaco posted something about being against HFCS and Agave syrup in that thread.
                      And I had to do a Wut???
                      If fructose is so great... how could Agave be bad in the same breath?

Simple is good.
                      “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                      ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                      And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Originally posted by cori93437 View Post

And I had to do a Wut???

Simple is good.
                        Don't expect logic and you won't be disapointed.

I think we should have sodas and ice cream while soaking in our ice baths. Wouldn't that be fun? I really think we have found the next Jack Kruse in this Peat character. I wonder how long this one will take to run its course.

Comment

Originally posted by cori93437 View Post

And I had to do a Wut???

Simple is good.
                          Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                          Don't expect logic and you won't be disapointed.

I think we should have sodas and ice cream while soaking in our ice baths. Wouldn't that be fun? I really think we have found the next Jack Kruse in this Peat character. I wonder how long this one will take to run its course.
                          Cool, you guys found a new thread to waste everybody's time in.

Comment

Hmm lemon in coffee? No, I've never tried it. I could pack a little container of lemon zest for going out to coffee. I know it is nuts, but going out for coffee is a highlight for me, one of my favorite things. We go out on the weekends and sit on the patio in the sun reading the paper and watching all the people come and go. I look forward to getting a coffee every morning at work. Even though I make way better coffee at home. I really should quit all this.
                            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Hmm lemon in coffee? No, I've never tried it. I could pack a little container of lemon zest for going out to coffee. I know it is nuts, but going out for coffee is a highlight for me, one of my favorite things. We go out on the weekends and sit on the patio in the sun reading the paper and watching all the people come and go. I look forward to getting a coffee every morning at work. Even though I make way better coffee at home. I really should quit all this.
                              Is it the coffee or the caffeine? I love coffee, but I drink organic decaf that's roasted 20 minutes away fro my house. Caffeine, for me, results in insane bowel problems. Same with cow cheese. Goat cheese, no problems. Bell peppers, I love them, but they don't digest at all! My tummy if a freakin' prima donna piece of crap. The only time I feel decent is when I do a strict Whole 30, not a bit of sugar, alcohol, dairy, grains, legumes or beans. I don't overdo the fat either, as that makes me fatter and leads to more poo issues

Comment

Lemon peel is always served with espresso in Italy. It is a really good taste combo.

Comment

Working...
                                X