Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How is everyone surviving so well on SAD and CW?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ribbons View Post
    My mum's been telling me my whole life that I'll always have to watch my weight. I accepted it when I was like 10 yrs old. I'm just questioning why some people can get away with eating whatever they want and others can't, but I'm thinking it's mainly just due to genetics.
    It is genetic but it isn't just someone's metabolism being quicker (at least in most cases). People that are naturally skinny usually stop eating when they are full and if they overeat they tend to burn off excess calories through exercise. Basically their body is really good at regulating weight. For over weight people this whole system can be thrown off which causes people to eat past levels of fullness and not make up for it with exercise.

Comment

My boyfriend isn't the type to put on weight. He can eat a whole pound of M&Ms and doesn't gain weight. He's 62 and has a little bit of a belly but otherwise he is strong and not fat. He recently hiked 300 miles of the Pacific Crest Trail and the younger guys were mad that they couldn't keep up with him. He does however suffer from arthritis, can't sleep, has lots of aches and pains, brain fog and hasn't had a normal bowel movement in years. What the SAD does to people differs. I am trying to get him to see the light but he's only coming around very slowly.
      Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirlot View Post
        Jim has been spreading misinformation in these forums for a while. On the hole people have been pretty patient provided studies for him which he poo-poos.

I believe in that same thread he called everyone here retards which led to others pointed out he does not have to stay.

Also note jim is morbidly obese, has an eating disorder, and has never tried to fully do primal - kinda hard to take him seriously with all that.
        I caught a lot of that reading his back-stuff. Thanks for the summary. I'll keep that in mind.

Just in case - if you run into anna5, be prepared for the most amazing inflammatory, illogical, insulting diatribes I have yet had the misfortune to read here. She styles herself "dr anna" and can't answer the most simple, straightforward question to save the earth. Being a forum and internet noob, I think I have truly met my first troll.
        I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

Originally posted by Crabbcakes View Post
          I caught a lot of that reading his back-stuff. Thanks for the summary. I'll keep that in mind.

Just in case - if you run into anna5, be prepared for the most amazing inflammatory, illogical, insulting diatribes I have yet had the misfortune to read here. She styles herself "dr anna" and can't answer the most simple, straightforward question to save the earth. Being a forum and internet noob, I think I have truly met my first troll.
          Dirlot is just jealous that I actually come with logic to arguments and all he can come with is his religious like disdain for grains.

Comment

Not found her yet, but there are a few others who like to pass around misinformation and passive aggressive insults.
            Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
            PS
            Don't forget to play!

Comment

Originally posted by jimhensen View Post
              Primal is a sham. Science doesn't support it and that is why everyone does fine while eating grains and some processed food...because they aren't as bad for you as people on here like to think. (But don't tell them that because they will defend their diet like a religious zealot.)
              Meh, just keep ignoring the science jim. I'm sure your doing great.

Comment

It is genetic but it isn't just someone's metabolism being quicker (at least in most cases). People that are naturally skinny usually stop eating when they are full and if they overeat they tend to burn off excess calories through exercise. Basically their body is really good at regulating weight. For over weight people this whole system can be thrown off which causes people to eat past levels of fullness and not make up for it with exercise.
                Would that be due to unhealthy food or genetics though? Because when I eat nutritious (primal) food then I naturally eat less than if I was eating cake for example, while some people would be able to effortlessly regulate the amount of cake they eat.
                Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                My boyfriend isn't the type to put on weight. He can eat a whole pound of M&Ms and doesn't gain weight. He's 62 and has a little bit of a belly but otherwise he is strong and not fat. He recently hiked 300 miles of the Pacific Crest Trail and the younger guys were mad that they couldn't keep up with him. He does however suffer from arthritis, can't sleep, has lots of aches and pains, brain fog and hasn't had a normal bowel movement in years. What the SAD does to people differs. I am trying to get him to see the light but he's only coming around very slowly.
                That's another good point. You can't always see people's health problems. Eg. A few of my friends get really bad PMS that I'm sure would be a little less bad if they didn't live entirely on wheat.

Comment

Dirlot is just jealous that I actually come with logic to arguments and all he can come with is his religious like disdain for grains.
                  LOL are you serious??? I have driven tanks through your "logical" argument and jim you can do better than that or are you now limited to insults and trolling.

I have given you study after study on how grains are bad compared to not eating them and you have yet to provide ONE that shows eating grains is better than not eating them.
                  Last edited by Dirlot; 07-09-2012, 08:23 AM.
                  PS
                  Don't forget to play!

Comment

jimhensen, please tell us why we should eat grains. Can you even come up with one reason?

Comment

jimhensen, please tell us why we should eat grains. Can you even come up with one reason?
                      Good luck I have been asking for months.

You might like the series of articles referenced here. It does confirm that long term damage on the body.

Hey Robb, this person said gluten free diets are bogus!
                      PS
                      Don't forget to play!

Comment

Because the science supports them being good for you. Come up with one reason? Why not hundreds:

grains heart - Google Scholar

Please find one study that suggests grains are bad for you from the list. Tell me which page you have to go to to find it. I will wait.

Comment

Good luck I have been asking for months.

You might like the series of articles referenced here. It does confirm that long term damage on the body.

Hey Robb, this person said gluten free diets are bogus!
                          It confirms NOTHING. The studies are done in a petri dish, on pigs, or on celiac patients. The whole post is outlandish.

Comment

Well, I welcome Jim to stay as long as he likes & gets some benefit for the dialogue. Coz without people like jimhensen, dissenters, we'd just be a bunch of people slapping each others' backs, congratulating ourselves on how well & good it is that we've discovered & live primally. Thanks Jim. At the very least, I get some mild entertainment value in the banter.

And by the way, grains do instill a mild to moderate religious-like zeal in me: how can something so conventionally lauded, & yes so versatile & tasty going into the mouth & down the gullet, cause so many issues for so many & oddly cause little to no "apparent" injury to others. Grains don't "appear" to harm me thus far @ age 46, but I believe the science enough to avoid them, & yes, to rail anti-grainy messages & real info to those around me I care about.

I will say, that @ my high school reunion in Atlanta, Georgia, when we were aged 30+-, I was shocked that most everyone seriously looked like crap, even the majority of the former popular girls, beauty queens & star athletes. Oh how the mighty had fallen. I'm sorry for sounding like a conceited asshole, but such fat, pale,pasty & sick looking people @ an age where youth & vigor ought to be the rule not the exception, disgusted & saddened me. I was bug eyed, mouth open shocked. At that time, I was in the best shape of my life & my ego was active. I had a life altering near-fatal high speed motorcycle accident overseas a couple of years later that took me out of action for a couple of years with surgeries & rehab. So that was humbling & took me back to a place of not judging others as much in their struggles, as I went through my own too. Now I just feel compassion mostly for others & want to be of service.
                            "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
                            "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
                            "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Comment

So science that shows not eating grains is better than eating them is outlandish but you posting studies that show whole grains are less poisonous than refined grains is ok? Oh I forget you are the expert, not Dr Davis, nod Dr Cordain or any other expert that wants to avoid toxins.

Where is your study showing eating grains is better than not eating them? Its ok jim...we know one does not exist.

PS the humam study was not on celiacs...you really should read the posts before responding...it does weaken your already weak arguments.

PPS

Why are you so scared of us eating and getting healthy?
                              Last edited by Dirlot; 07-09-2012, 08:38 AM.
                              PS
                              Don't forget to play!

Comment

So science that shows not eating grains is better than eating them is outlandish but you posting studies that show whole grains are less poisonous than refined grains is ok? Oh I forget you are the expert, not Dr Davis, nod Dr Cordain or any other expert that wants to avoid toxins.

Where is your study showing eating grains is better than not eating them? Its ok jim...we know one does not exist.
                                Why don't you wade through the hundreds of studies in the link I posted claiming grains to be heart healthy? Or are they all a conspiracy? As I said, if eating no grains was superior to eating whole grains the study would show the people that ate the least amount of grains were healthiest, which these studies do NOT show. They show the people that eat the most whole grains seem to be the healthiest.

And where is your study that says eating no feces is better than eating lots of feces? By your logic eating tons of feces must be extremely healthy.

Comment

Working...
                                X