Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How is everyone surviving so well on SAD and CW?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jimhensen View Post
    Primal is a sham. Science doesn't support it and that is why everyone does fine while eating grains and some processed food...because they aren't as bad for you as people on here like to think. (But don't tell them that because they will defend their diet like a religious zealot.)
    What do you mean "science doesn't support it"? Could you please be more specific? Are you just saying that processed foods aren't as bad for you as people here make them out to be, or are you suggesting that we should disregard all the info on this website that goes against CW *just coz*?

Comment

I did great with SAD without much processed foods until I had my daughter. Even then, I lost my pregnancy weight on SAD. But after I lost my weight SAD stopped working for me. I could not get full on the calorie allocations, hunger was horrid and I was regaining weight. For 3 years after losing my weight i tried a lot of different approaches; for the last year and a half they were all centered around the whole foods only.

Now, the way I see it there is two things:

1. Things that are bad for most people except selected few (they can stay skinny and not hungry eating macaroni and cheese with buttered bread and a muffin on top). They usually catch up with you as you grow older and have cumulative effect by subtly rising your appetite and making you gain weight as you age, slowly or in huge increments. In women, that weight gain is often triggered by child birth since body retains appetite levels and hormonal stuff changes drammatically. Since you are talking about school, you do not see these effects. Not yet. Wait for your 10 year reunion, or ask your mom how many girls that were stick-thin at school came back to her reunion as much heavier. Those things are processed grains (bread, pasta), bad oils, and processed sugars.

2. Things that cause acute and adverse reaction individual from a person to person. Dairy, fruit, nuts, legumes, starches, excessive fats - these sort of things. These you have to experiment with and eliminate what hurts you.

The more I experiment with my diet and fitness regimens, the more I become convinced that there is simply no 'one size fits all' prescription for ultimate state of being when you achieve that happy balance of being reasonably full, very energetic, ina good mood and not gaining weight (or losing weight).
      Last edited by Leida; 07-09-2012, 05:56 AM.
      My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
      When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Originally posted by Leida View Post
        I did great with SAD without much processed foods until I had my daughter. Even then, I lost my pregnancy weight on SAD. But after I lost my weight SAD stopped working for me. I could not get full on the calorie allocations, hunger was horrid and I was regaining weight. For 3 years after losing my weight i tried a lot of different approaches; for the last year and a half they were all centered around the whole foods only.

1. Things that are bad for most people except selected few (they can stay skinny and not hungry eating macaroni and cheese with buttered bread and a muffin on top). They usually catch up with you as you grow older and have cumulative effect by subtly rising your appetite and making you gain weight as you age, slowly or in huge increments. In women, that weight gain is often triggered by child birth since body retains appetite levels and hormonal stuff changes drammatically. Since you are talking about school, you do not see these effects. Not yet. Wait for your 10 year reunion, or ask your mom how many girls that were stick-thin at school came back to her reunion as much heavier. Those things are processed grains (bread, pasta), bad oils, and processed sugars.

2. Things that cause acute and adverse reaction individual from a person to person. Dairy, fruit, nuts, legumes, starches, excessive fats - these sort of things. These you have to experiment with and eliminate what hurts you.

The more I experiment with my diet and fitness regimens, the more I become convinced that there is simply no 'one size fits all' prescription for ultimate state of being when you achieve that happy balance of being reasonably full, very energetic, ina good mood and not gaining weight (or losing weight).
        I think this is pretty close to the mark. Individual tolerances to different foods seem to vary. Wheat and related grains, Soy, Dairy, and Nuts all cause problems for certain portions of the population, though the majority tolerate them to some degree. The other piece is that reactions vary by degrees. Some people can enter anaphylactic shock from eating half a peanut. Others can eat a certain food, and the worst reaction they'll get are some sores on their mouth, or some redness where it touches their skin.

The biggest thing for me is that my digestion is a lot better without an excess of "healthy whole grains". That, and grain products aren't satiating and are mostly empty calories - meaning that unless I'm being super-active and needing to take in a ton of calories, I'm happier on a more satiating diet that relies more on vegetables as carbohydrate sources.

Comment

Originally posted by Omni View Post
          Why are you filled with so much venom?
          Remember what goes around comes around.
          What goes around comes around? Because I get worked up on forums? Come on, you can't be serious.

Comment

Originally posted by Leida View Post

It seems that some people can just "tolerate" junk food better than others. It would suck to suddenly put on weight after having a baby when you've been thin your whole life. I've decided to think of my higher-than-ideal weight as a good thing because if I hadn't gotten into calorie counting a few years ago then I might not have ever heard of MDA or any alternative ways of losing weight, and then I would've ended up as an unhealthy adult thinking I need to eat lots of grains and avoid fat at all costs. And of course I wouldn't be able to stick to that so I'd end up obese and eventually die from a heart attack at an early age. So idk, maybe it's not such a bad thing that I've had to deal with weight gain earlier than most people.

Originally posted by jsa23 View Post
            I think this is pretty close to the mark. Individual tolerances to different foods seem to vary. Wheat and related grains, Soy, Dairy, and Nuts all cause problems for certain portions of the population, though the majority tolerate them to some degree. The other piece is that reactions vary by degrees. Some people can enter anaphylactic shock from eating half a peanut. Others can eat a certain food, and the worst reaction they'll get are some sores on their mouth, or some redness where it touches their skin.

The biggest thing for me is that my digestion is a lot better without an excess of "healthy whole grains". That, and grain products aren't satiating and are mostly empty calories - meaning that unless I'm being super-active and needing to take in a ton of calories, I'm happier on a more satiating diet that relies more on vegetables as carbohydrate sources.
            Yup, I don't have any food allergies that I'm aware of but I know that I always seem to put on weight when I eat wheat and sugar because they're not satiating as you said, and I think I'm sensitive to their addictive and appetite-inducing qualities.

Comment

Primal is a sham. Science doesn't support it and that is why everyone does fine while eating grains and some processed food...because they aren't as bad for you as people on here like to think. (But don't tell them that because they will defend their diet like a religious zealot.)
              Why are you so scared of eating healthy?
              Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
              PS
              Don't forget to play!

Comment

Hi Jim

I looked a little at your past posts because I don't know you. You seem to be pretty consistent with the anti-Primal message. Why do hang here, then? Honestly, I am curious.
                I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

Jim is a weird guy
                  But
                  He never receives answers for normal questions.
                  For example:
                  Jim: Why are grains bad?
                  Someone else: Dude, why don't you leave this forum?
                  That would make me doubt primal as well (not that I do)
                  well then

Comment

Originally posted by Gadsie View Post
                    Jim is a weird guy
                    But
                    For example:
                    I doubt that he won't get an answer to this question, as most people who ask for this will get an answer.
                    And if he uses mighty searchhfoo he will find posts about grains about glutein and so on.
                    But maybe people stop feeding trolls after a while and simply choose to ignore the hoot

Comment

There is fat/normal/skinny.... then there is healthy. Normal or skinny size does not mean healthy, it just means your body doesn't put fat on with the CW or SAD diet... for now.

I ate CW for years, and what struck me was how much I exercised and could not get my weight down. I ran a marathon. I did "Insanity", P90X, ran some more. Exercised so much. I avoided fat, ate whole grains, and beyond epic sugar binges at times, ate healthy.... yet still carried around fat.

I think that people thrive on different diets. What sucks is that for now, the only really "accepted" way is "eat less, move more" and if you say to your MD "hey, I am training for a marathon and eat 1400 calories a day" they are dumbfounded and can't help or assume your are lying instead of saying "well, hey , maybe try more fat and protein, cut some wheat". When their "way" doesn't work, they can't help you. And their way works for a lot of people.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                      Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Some of us just didn't get the winning lottery ticket or even just one number. If you are the one fat kid in school, it makes no sense to worry why they can why the SAD and you can't, or to wonder how you can have more willpower. It's not going to happen for you so just do what you have to do. Or wait until you're 47 and then do it after a lifetime of struggling. Your choice.
                        Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Ribbons -

I agree with a number of posters on this thread: with age, it will show. I am now 45. All my life long, it was eat what-the-hell I wanted, when-the-hell I wanted, anytime-of-the-day I wanted, in-any-amount-at-all I wanted... you get the idea. And I thought I was invincible since I wasn't a fat slob or diabetic.

BUT - that isn't the whole story. I believe, if you scratch a little deeper with almost everybody (even the young 'uns), you will find health issues, and so it was with me in my young-and-innocent days. I had horrible monthly cramps, cavities in almost all my teeth, zits in the most amazing places (constantly), painfully sensitive skin, and constant viral / bacterial sore throats.

I even had 3 kids and it still went decently, but by then I had discovered whole foods and gotten a lot of obvious crap out of my diet, and had a tonsillectomy. Then I had my fourth... and everything, just everything, hit the crapper.

I have recently returned from a high school reunion - and everybody, save one immortal (he hasn't changed one lick - just a few gray hairs), looks like shit. I literally mean that. They are still the sweetest people and even more interesting to talk to since they now have a few wisdom years under their belt - but they look like shit. And we all are 44-46. How the hell is this supposed to go in the next 10 years? 20 years?

I think of it a lot like sunburn. You won't see the damage with the first burn, or even the second or third decent sunburn... but eventually it WILL show up, and it will be undeniable.
                          I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

Originally posted by Gadsie View Post
                            Jim is a weird guy
                            But
                            For example:
                            Jim has been spreading misinformation in these forums for a while. On the hole people have been pretty patient provided studies for him which he poo-poos.

I believe in that same thread he called everyone here retards which led to others pointed out he does not have to stay.

Also note jim is morbidly obese, has an eating disorder, and has never tried to fully do primal - kinda hard to take him seriously with all that.
                            PS
                            Don't forget to play!

Comment

Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
                              There is fat/normal/skinny.... then there is healthy. Normal or skinny size does not mean healthy, it just means your body doesn't put fat on with the CW or SAD diet... for now.

I ate CW for years, and what struck me was how much I exercised and could not get my weight down. I ran a marathon. I did "Insanity", P90X, ran some more. Exercised so much. I avoided fat, ate whole grains, and beyond epic sugar binges at times, ate healthy.... yet still carried around fat.

I think that people thrive on different diets. What sucks is that for now, the only really "accepted" way is "eat less, move more" and if you say to your MD "hey, I am training for a marathon and eat 1400 calories a day" they are dumbfounded and can't help or assume your are lying instead of saying "well, hey , maybe try more fat and protein, cut some wheat". When their "way" doesn't work, they can't help you. And their way works for a lot of people.
                              I can lose weight on CW as long as I stick to around 1200 calories or less but I hate counting calories because I can't do it unless I'm 100% sure of the calorie content of everything I eat. And I can't always know so it's too hard to stick to.
                              Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                              Some of us just didn't get the winning lottery ticket or even just one number. If you are the one fat kid in school, it makes no sense to worry why they can why the SAD and you can't, or to wonder how you can have more willpower. It's not going to happen for you so just do what you have to do. Or wait until you're 47 and then do it after a lifetime of struggling. Your choice.
                              My mum's been telling me my whole life that I'll always have to watch my weight. I accepted it when I was like 10 yrs old. I'm just questioning why some people can get away with eating whatever they want and others can't, but I'm thinking it's mainly just due to genetics.
                              Originally posted by Crabbcakes View Post
                              Ribbons -

I agree with a number of posters on this thread: with age, it will show. I am now 45. All my life long, it was eat what-the-hell I wanted, when-the-hell I wanted, anytime-of-the-day I wanted, in-any-amount-at-all I wanted... you get the idea. And I thought I was invincible since I wasn't a fat slob or diabetic.

BUT - that isn't the whole story. I believe, if you scratch a little deeper with almost everybody (even the young 'uns), you will find health issues, and so it was with me in my young-and-innocent days. I had horrible monthly cramps, cavities in almost all my teeth, zits in the most amazing places (constantly), painfully sensitive skin, and constant viral / bacterial sore throats.

I even had 3 kids and it still went decently, but by then I had discovered whole foods and gotten a lot of obvious crap out of my diet, and had a tonsillectomy. Then I had my fourth... and everything, just everything, hit the crapper.

I have recently returned from a high school reunion - and everybody, save one immortal (he hasn't changed one lick - just a few gray hairs), looks like shit. I literally mean that. They are still the sweetest people and even more interesting to talk to since they now have a few wisdom years under their belt - but they look like shit. And we all are 44-46. How the hell is this supposed to go in the next 10 years? 20 years?

I think of it a lot like sunburn. You won't see the damage with the first burn, or even the second or third decent sunburn... but eventually it WILL show up, and it will be undeniable.
                              Hmm I like that analogy. It's sad that most people don't know the damage they're doing to themselves until it's too late, and then they're given useless advice that doesn't help them.

Comment

Originally posted by Crabbcakes View Post

Good point, or drinking.
                                PS
                                Don't forget to play!

Comment

Working...
                                X