Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok to eat the same food daily, or lots of one food?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok to eat the same food daily, or lots of one food?

Is it ok to eat the same thing every day. Take broccoli. There simply aren't many green veggies that I know how to cook or can cook well.

Is there anything wrong with eating like two whole stalks of broccoli every day?

It is a good start but I would look at roasting veg, etc get some variety for your sanity.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Comment

You're going to get a better range of nutrients if you eat a wider variety of vegetables.

If I see something unusual in the produce section, sometimes I'll get it just because I'm curious, then go home and Google recipes.
      Durp.

Comment

I'm concerned about od'ing on anti-nutrients, or something like that. I probably have little to worry about, especially compared to eating junk food.

Comment

Originally posted by HelloMeteor View Post
          I'm concerned about od'ing on anti-nutrients, or something like that. I probably have little to worry about, especially compared to eating junk food.
          Unless you have a specific issue (like I can't handle sodium nitrite - if I ate a crapload of celery I'd probably be hating life) then the real issue isn't usually getting too much of a nutrient, it's missing out on a whole bunch of them. There are a lot of nutrients that are readily available in food that don't translate too well into supplements, so you can't just toss back a multivitamin and assume you're good.
          Durp.

Comment

Mark eats the same foods pretty much every day. Don't sweat it

Comment

I'm trending the same way myself. I don't have the energy to cook something new every other day.
              But find at least two other veggies, preferably of different colors: carrots and red cabbage, for example.
              5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

you are catch more and more vitamins from taking green vegetable. The vegetables have all types of vitamins, nutrients,calories. If you want to being good health these are vegetables are useful.

Comment

Goitrogens like broccoli and other cruciferous veggies are thought to be harmless when cooked thoroughly and eaten infrequently.
                  Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Do you mean is it bad to eat one specific thing daily? Depends on what you eat daily, i guess. If you make it a habit to eat 5 handfuls of raw nuts a day, stop that, but if you're eating nutritious things day in and out, I don't see a problem. I eat pretty much the same things day in and out, including a lot of greens, a lot of starchy vegetables, and a lot of eggs or some other source of protein. I work out, I take some supplements, I'm in good health.
                    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

I think it's perfectly fine to eat same veggies very day. Of course, a wider range will provide more variety and micronutrients and make your diet more interesting.
                      I am more careful with eating same protein sources too often. Actually recently someone on here mentioned an allergy which was brought on by an egg "overdose", it was my case a while back. Sometimes (especially when it comes to eggs) you have a minor intolerance you have never noticed before, eating them too often can trigger a more serious intolerance.
                      My PT says I shouldn't eat same protein ore often than every 5 days but I find it a bit excessive Although I do try to vary my protein (meat, fish, no eggs, as I am trying to "heal" before reintroducing them) - I try to make sure to eat about 10-15 different sources of protein (meaning different animals/seafood) or more a week.

Comment

I eat a different protein every day, and usually different veggies also at least at dinner time - I still try to rotate variety through for the family, but there are certain things that I have daily especially at lunch and/or afternoon or even w/my dinner that maybe the others aren't having. Sometimes it's just easier plus I know it's stuff that I need so I don't have to think about it as much.
                        65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

Go for it.

I'd personally find it insanely boring, but there are plenty of folks out there who do the same thing day after day.

However, I also agree with the comments about nutrient variety. If you only eat one or two veggies, there are probably a bunch of vitamins/minerals/etc. that you are lacking unless you supplement.
                          >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
                          >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
                          >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Comment

you don't have to have variety, just make sure you are eating plenty of meat. for example I recently read "The Fat of the Land" by Vilhjalmur Stefansson. Note that the Eskimo's lived exclusively on meat. He says most of the summer fish was exclusively eaten, in colder months exclusively caribou was eat, and in may and april they lived exclusively on eggs. Nutritional antropology and studies of their bone structures tell us they were one of the healthiest groups of people to walk the planet, free of disease and carries.
                            Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
                            Before and after pics
                            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
                            Primal Sucess Story
                            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
                            Primal Journal
                            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

Comment

I believe it is pretty much the most 'natural' way of eating. Why I think that way: we humans evolved eating what we had available which in most cases was a lot of one thing and not that much of all others common things to eat at any given moment. Think seasonality ....

Me personally, I eat pretty simply BUT with these 'weird' habits of eating from a lot of something on a given day, and after a day or two - rinse and repeat of the same. For example - today I ate a lots of grilled trout (over a pound) and lots of bananas. Two days ago I ate 10 lbs of watermelon and 2 lbs of grilled pork. The day before - 15 eggs with homemade pesto.

Cheers
                              Me@twitter

Comment

Working...
                              X