Baby blue potatoes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baby blue potatoes

At the farmers market yesterday, one of the vendors had baby blue potatoes. I love Japanese sweet potatoes and Hawaiian sweet potatoes (maybe I just like blue foods), so I thought I'd give these a try. This morning, I peeled them, sliced them thinly and sautéed them in bacon grease with a slice of extra bacon and slivers of onions and minced garlic, with salt and pepper. Holy cow, yummy with my bacon and scrambled eggs!

So I was wondering...are baby blue potatoes somewhat healthier than other baby potatoes? If not, I'll make these a once-in-a-while sort of treat, but if they are, then these would be great on a higher-carb day.
    F, 44 years old, 111.8 lbs, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

**1st place sparring, AAU TKD regional qualifier, 2/15/15 - It's damn good to hit like a girl!**

**First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

How on earth do you peel the little ones?

Comment

Carefully!

**1st place sparring, AAU TKD regional qualifier, 2/15/15 - It's damn good to hit like a girl!**

Comment

when i first saw purple potatoes years back, i could not get past the color, lol. still can't. gives me the heebie-jeebies.
        As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Oh, but they're SO good!

Comment

i don't mind them deep-fried as chips, but otherwise am not crazy about the texture either. more for you!
            As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Darn tootin'!

Comment

I love those little taters! To me they don't taste any different than a "regular" potato though, so I figured the nutritional content was about the same - - making them an occasional treat in my book.

But I didn't know I was supposed to peel them. Whoops. Oh well, I've only eaten them 3 times. Couldn't have done too much harm.

Comment

I found them to be much smoother when roasted than other (esp. small red) potatoes. I love the color! I frankly would not worry about the nutritional component. It's just a potato.
                  Depression Lies

Comment

Thanks, folks. I'm thinking about baking them into chips tonight.

Comment

Blue potatoes are very rich in antioxidants and other nutrients that white/red potatoes have less of. Most darker colored veggies share this nutritional advantage.
                      | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

Working...
                      X