Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fermented veggies - what to look for on the tin

Hey everyone,

Branching into the fermented veggies world, and while I wait for my Kale to ferment, I want to buy some ready made stuff.

I know I should be looking for ones without sugar, that haven't been pasturised, but when I read the labels I'm totally perplexed... they ALL have so many ingredients! Are preservatives okay (probably a rookie question)? What should I be avoiding at all costs?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Well I bought sauerkraut at an organic food store and the only ingredients listed are cabbage and sea salt.
    Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

Comment

Do you have an asian market nearby? That would be a great place to find kim chee, which is a terrific probiotic food (as long as you like spicy stuff!). of course you can find it in regular stores, but the asian markets tend to sell it for a better price, and usually they aren't filled with a ton of preservatives.

Anything that's been lacto-fermented (like sauerkraut or kim chee) is by definition already preserved, so I'd be wary if you're seeing something with added preservatives.

Also, do you like/have you tried kombucha? That's a great probiotic drink and should be easy to find in a health food store, or a grocery store with decent 'health food' section.

And, do the stores near you carry Bubbies pickles? They are a little pricey, but the label says they've not been pasteurized (I'm 99% sure). In my grocery store, they are stocked in the 'health food' section, not near the 'regular' commericial/claussen pickles.
      Last edited by BestBetter; 07-08-2012, 04:54 AM.

Comment

I think it's important that it's raw isn't it? Or are all fermented foods raw?

Comment

Working...
        X