Fibrous carbohydrates = bad?!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BestBetter View Post
    The thing is, no specific vegetable is bad for you; avocadoes have lots of great nutrients in them, plus they taste great as guacamole. I still eat avocado, but I'm careful to have a much smaller amount - maybe 1/4 (or even 1/2 on occasion) at a time. My digestive system, like many other people's, is very sensitive to fiber. I can have a few dates for example, or a serving of kale for example with no problem. But when I'm having multiple servings of highly fibrous veggies, that's when the real punishment happens.

I think herbs are great - from what I've read of their nutritional profiles, they seem like way more bang for the buck. I think the key is moderation. Obviously other people can handle some more fiber than I can, others less. If you love eating a barrel of parsley AND you have no trouble digesting it, I say keep right on. For me, I prefer to put all those great veggies like kale and cilantro in the juicer, so I can consume all the precious nutrients in a very digestible form and discard the indigestible roughage
    When you say you have to be moderate with the fiber - do you mean you can't go, or you go too much?

My system was fine til I started eating meat again... The thought of it sitting there rotting in my intestines reminds me why I was veggie for so long!!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
      When you say you have to be moderate with the fiber - do you mean you can't go, or you go too much?

My system was fine til I started eating meat again... The thought of it sitting there rotting in my intestines reminds me why I was veggie for so long!!
      Meat doesn't rot, it is broken down by acid...very different. The high fibre foods don't really breakdown and so bacteria need to start working on them, hence the gas (which is also closer to rotting decomposing)

http://www.sott.net/articles/show/230289

I love this quote from the article:

Now what is that called, again, when food is being 'digested' by bacteria...?

rot ˈrät (verb) - to undergo decomposition from the action of bacteria or fungi

In other words, meat doesn't rot in your colon. GRAINS, BEANS, and VEGETABLES rot in your colon. And that is a fact.
      Last edited by Dirlot; 07-07-2012, 12:56 PM.
      Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
      PS
      Don't forget to play!

Comment

Originally posted by Dirlot View Post
        Meat doesn't rot, it is broken down by acid...very different. The high fibre foods don't really breakdown and so bacteria need to start working on them, hence the gas (which is also closer to rotting decomposing)

Does Meat Rot In Your Colon? No. What Does? Beans, Grains, and Vegetables! -- Health & Wellness -- Sott.net

I love this quote from the article:

Now what is that called, again, when food is being 'digested' by bacteria...?

rot ˈrät (verb) - to undergo decomposition from the action of bacteria or fungi

In other words, meat doesn't rot in your colon. GRAINS, BEANS, and VEGETABLES rot in your colon. And that is a fact.
        Wow... enlightening. Thanks!
        "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

Wow... enlightening. Thanks!
          Time to go enjoy that steak
          Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
          PS
          Don't forget to play!

Comment

As a longtime ulcer-sufferer, and a dedicated veggie gardener,AND a onetime Susan Powter devotee, I had contrasting views of fiber benefits warring constantly. Eventually I took a treatment that healed the ulcer, and then went hog wild on fiber-rich grains of all kinds. And homemade ww bread! YUM! And I had regular 3X daily B.M.'s However, I gained about a million pounds, and moved to die near my kids. I also went to lowcarb eating, decided I was going to live, and had the most horrendous constipation ever. At the same time I discovered I was celiac, and those 3X daily movemets were due to gut damage from grains. Eventually magnesium took care of the problem, and I ate huge salads out of a sense of duty. When I could no longer chew them, lately I've been blending kale, celery, carrot and a fruit in my whey protein drinks. Last week my ND told me I have leaky gut. All that lovely fiber is my nemesis, at least right now. Back to probiotics, fermented veggies (love daikon radish and kimchee) and nix on raw kale and collards. Maybe after I heal, I can eat some again.

Comment

Originally posted by Paysan View Post
              Back to probiotics, fermented veggies (love daikon radish and kimchee) and nix on raw kale and collards. Maybe after I heal, I can eat some again.
              As to this you can lacto-ferment most all veggies. Just make a brine, submerge them and watch the magic happen for a few weeks. I do actually BELIEVE (since I cant point to much more than traditional preparation) that this could be the very healthiest way to enjoy vegetables.

Comment

The more fibre you eat, the more water you have to drink otherwise everything comes to a halt. I feel bloated if I eat too many raw veggies, but I find I can eat unlimited amounts of cooked veggies. Raspberries are extremely high in fibre. I eat those often and find they smooth out my digestion. I also drink a lot of water
                **Food and Meows**

Comment

I can no longer do cruciferous veggies because the bloating and gas is very noticeable, but everything else in the vegetable is game. I also notice that my digestion works more smoothly if I cook my spinach versus eating a pound of it raw.

I agree with the insoluble vs. soluble fiber. If I eat too many nuts, I get way bloated. And that's definitely all due to the insoluble fiber content.
                  My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Has anyone taken psyllium? Candida Diet: Psyllium

- Ray Peat

Comment

'Fiber Menace' saved my ass, quite literally. Hemorrhoids and eventually an anal fissure is no fun... bleeding every time you poop for months? No thanks. I followed the advice in his book & site, took probiotics and cut out all fiber. It took a while but everything healed up nicely and while things aren't back to normal (they haven't been normal since i was a kid) it's getting there. I can handle veggies/nuts now but any kind of grain fiber halts my insides completely for a few days

I've been lurking a while and I have to say jimhensen is a troll/incredibly stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by jimhensen View Post
                        My views are the science doesn't support it. Fibrous carbs (veggies especially) have been shown to be extremely heart healthy. Honestly if anyone suggests that you should limit your fibrous veggie intake you should completely disregard everything else they say when it comes to nutrition...and probably anything else that comes out of their stupid mouths.

I agree with you. The short time that I've been on these forums, I've noticed some folks seem to be showing up and being seriously worried about something some unsubstantiated, nutball blogger somewhere reportedly said about something related to nutrition. (e.g., "Someone said kale is poison. IS IT TRUE???? Please answer quickly because I'm getting ready to make a salad!") It's kind of a waste of time to believe all the organic male bovine fertilizer you hear on the Internet.

There are some acknowledged and reliable authorities on nutritional issues that are worth reading and even they don't agree with each other 100% about every single issue. Some of those authorities are Mark Sisson, the Drs Michael and Mary Dan Eades, Dr. Mercola (a lot of good info though his obsessive personality is a little difficult to take and I never recommend him as the entry point to anyone), Dr. Stephen Phinney and Jeff Volek and some others. I fear some people who come to these forums are not very critical thinkers and are just looking for a consensus of opinion in order to decide what is "right." Or maybe it's just a social outing that's fun for them.

But for understanding nutrition, it's a better use of one's time to read books by most of these folks rather than obsessing about the latest wild claim by someone rapping on their blog about all the secret (completely unsubstantiated) information that only they have access to. Capiche?

I've virtually never had any experience with constipation, but one thing that might being having a beneficial effect on me is my somewhat regular use of chlorella. I have no articles to cite regarding chlorella and bowel movements however.
                        Last edited by Primal in Korea; 07-08-2012, 02:22 AM.

Comment

GAPS says . . .
                          Excuse me, but what is "GAPS?"

Comment

Again, this post made me laugh..!

You shouldn't take what you read here so seriously, or presume to judge somebody's ability to think critically on the basis of their casual web speak. This forum is a place to toss new ideas around, hear what other people have come up with, and then formulate your own opinions with research.

Proclaiming we should all read books by a special panel of "experts" (aka 'gurus') instead of being inquisitive and exploring things that conflict with what they say is tantamount to religion.

- Ray Peat

Comment

Originally posted by Primal in Korea View Post
                              Excuse me, but what is "GAPS?"
                              That is even worse - you made judgements without even researching what we were talking about??! A bit hypocritical don't you think?

http://www.gapsdiet.com/GAPS_Outline.html

- Ray Peat

Comment

That is even worse - you made judgements without even researching what we were talking about??! A bit hypocritical don't you think?

GAPS Outline
                                Well, no, I don't think it was hypocritical since I never made any comments regarding GAPS. My comments were general not directed toward a web site or blog that I've never visited. However, my apologies if I communicated unclearly and caused some confusion. And good luck with solving the problem that motivated your initiating this thread.

Comment

Working...
                                X