Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liver... rated strongly inflammatory

Hello,

I understand liver is high in a lot of nutrients but it's also high in Omego 6 which means it rated strongly inflammatory according to this website... I am assuming that is the reason for that rating. So, do the high nutrients make up for this? Can I assume my pasture fed lamb liver has less Omega 6 and more Omega 3?

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Lamb, variety meats and by-products, liver, cooked, braised

I am pretty sure that website ranks anything high in fat as inflammatory.

I think liver is great, but probably not for daily consumption in large amounts.

ETA: I wouldn't worry about the O6 fats

Omega 6 Content of Common Foods – 180 Degree Health
    Last edited by jammies; 07-06-2012, 06:35 PM.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Yeah, ignore that. Liver is great. Some would tell you to limit beef liver in particular to less than a pound a week based on the copper, but that doesn't mean you couldn't switch over and have a pound of chicken liver (less copper). Different animal livers have different nutritional properties. Oh, and again ignore that sites "inflammation" data. Its garbage.

Comment

For Omega balancing, I don't really focus on individual foods. Think about the totality of your diet instead. If you're eating enough fish, don't be afraid of high O6 meat.

Comment

I don't really pay attention to any of it ...the calories, Omega 6, etc... just eat healthy primal foods. I just started a medication, though, for migraines and researched which nutrients it might deplete and vitamin A was one of them so I thought I better start eating liver more regularly. I went to look up the nutritional data for liver and came across that site and recalled it being used by Chris Kresser and that made me think it had some credibility.

Comment

There is no perfect food, just take in moderation. Livers (and eggs) are a good source for choline.

Comment

I looked up everything I eat on the Inflammatory Factor website and nothing was more than -10 (the scale went down to -200)
              If you like liver eat it - the only thing I'd worry about was whether the animal had been fed GM feed.

Comment

Oh no! Liver is inflammatory. Everybody rush back to your cereal and yogurt!
                Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Liver has a lot of copper? I have suddenly trouble with Post MS, which I think can be attributed to too much copper. I'll cut the liver out, then.

Comment

Originally posted by Comma View Post
                    Liver has a lot of copper? I have suddenly trouble with Post MS, which I think can be attributed to too much copper. I'll cut the liver out, then.
                    Beef liver does. Chicken liver does NOT. So you could limit your beef liver and still get plenty of chicken liver without worrying about it. Basically you have to look up each animals liver profile separately.

For instance chicken liver has 0.1mg of copper/ounce (7% of DV)

beef liver has 4.0mg of copper/ounce (200% of DV)

lamb liver has 2.0mg of copper/ounce (99% of DV)
                    Last edited by Neckhammer; 07-07-2012, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Ugh, too bad that I can't get local chicken or lamb liver, and I think I'll pass on the supermarket fare.

Ahhh, never mind, didn't eat it for the last 30 years and survived.

Comment

There's nothing wrong with supermarket liver. I eat non-grassfed liver all the time. It's sometimes the only kind I can find. Liver is not a filter. The liver metabolizes things, it doesn't filter and sequester. Liver is nutritious and good for you. Eat your liver.
                        Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                          Eat your liver.
                          Enough said

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                            There's nothing wrong with supermarket liver. I eat non-grassfed liver all the time. It's sometimes the only kind I can find. Liver is not a filter. The liver metabolizes things, it doesn't filter and sequester. Liver is nutritious and good for you. Eat your liver.
                            Yeah its a misconception of the word "filter".....like you said its a metabolizer. I personally blend it up in a smoothie to feed it to my kids....thats how important I think it is. It MUST be given to them on a weekly basis by my invocation!

Oh and not to rehash BUT it seems liver from CAFO vs. supermarket grade isn't that big a deal. Its the fatty cuts you should worry OR appreciate. about . Fattier the cut of grass fed gives you more of the benefits of being grass fed.
                            Last edited by Neckhammer; 07-07-2012, 06:39 PM.

Comment

I would like to feed it to my dog every once in awhile, too.

Comment

Working...
                              X